Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I liked that they reused sets. Having Nikki and Kevin in her house she shared with Casey and Julia in Lorie's Penthouse. It also gave a connection to the past, no doubt Summer 82 was the end of the original Y&R and the transition to the new one. 

Does anyone know if the Abbott residence was first seen in Mar/Apr when Jack and Mamie are first together. I think it was Apr 1, 1982 or near there. Synopsis mentions Jack has an apartment in 1981 and I think most scenes pre-1982 took place there or at Jabot or Jill's place or other locations. I assume the scene of John finding Jack and Jill together in 1981 was just a hallway set. Like the recreation with Jerry Douglas in 1982. 

Also Jerry Douglas and Terry Lester's first and I think second scenes together are so good, like they've been working together for a while, rather than they just started, just such a natural flow. A little more uptight than later years, but still the chemistry and flow between them is solid. 

Was that a production goof during the scene between Nikki and Kevin when they are fighting after she comes home from The Bayou. Looks like the camera went too high and we saw above the set

Edited by will81

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Re Kevin.

When Melody fell pregnant,wasn't it the case that Bill Bell decided to use this and quickly refashioned the story to introduce Kevin and have him sleep with Nikki?

That's my recollection.That was in Jan 82.

But strangely enough in Dec 81, Victor had introduced Nikki to Rex Barber and he and Nikki had hit it off.

So why didn't Bill just continue with Rex as that story was already in place?

Maybe the actor playing Rex wasn't available or Bell/Conboy didn't like him enough to  make him a major character?

• Members

Those were the first Abbott house scenes (where Mamie was calling Jack as "Mister Jack"), which I never recall her saying again, and the first Terry / Jerry scenes.  Also, Robert Lawrence eventually moved into the Prentiss house after Lance was gone.  I remember some mention of it on the show, where he had bought the place from them.  It underwent a very slight remodel (windows, paint, stain,  and furnishings mostly).  There are some scenes of it in the '82 clips.  I don't know where that put Lucas.  Maybe in the apartment above Jonas'.

• Members

Just been watching some more of the December 1982 clips. The dialogue writing always strikes me as a cut above the other soaps. Others have mentioned on here that the writing had that deep psychological basis to it, and it is so obvious in some of the scenes I’ve watched.

The scene between Douglas and Victor when they are talking about Julia, for example - we get SO MUCH insight from just that one scene into how Victor is thinking and feeling, and what motivates him. The same with Douglas and Julia in her penthouse later on, talking about how Julia is feeling and her present relationship with Victor.

As an aside, I was not aware just *how much* Douglas was used as a supporting player back then. I was shocked to see a scene between him and Alison Bancroft - I had no idea these two would have even crossed paths, and yet their scene just made sense when I watched it. Y&R was really starting to fire up as a 1-hour show by this point.

• Members

Eve showed up in Genoa City in 1980 claiming her son "Cole" was fathered by Victor. Julia and Victor's 10 year marriage was already crumbling bit by bit. When Victor took over Chancellor industries in Kay's absence, Derek Thruston was angry. He and Eve found out that Victor had a secret vasectomy to keep from fathering children with Julia. 

Did they send the test results to her ? I can't remember.  In the long run, Victor told Julia a child would be an intrusion upon their lives and he wanted her to choose him over the baby. Julia worried herself sick over it, then Victor "Had a change of heart" and told her he wanted the baby. He sent her away for a few days to a spa to relax. While she was away, he had the bomb shelter built and lured Michael to the ranch. He locked him in the basement. He talked to Michael on closed circuit TV. Michael could also see what went on upstairs on the monitor, like Victor making love to Julia which angered him.

• Members

I really hope we get to see the scenes involving Victor’s faked death from ‘83! I wanna see the full scene where Eve slaps Nikki when Nikki says, “Victor would rather be DEAD than be married to you!” I’d also love to see the funeral home scene where Nikki causes a ruckus. 

• Members

I think in the beginning. I'm not sure how Derek was written out after all that. Julia eventually discovered Michael in the basement and set him free. Victor and Michael struggled knocking Julia down the basement steps. She was rushed to the hospital and almost died. Victor prayed that if she lived, he would set her free to be with Michael. She miscarried the child. It was discovered that Victor's vasectomy didn't take and the child was his. 

I remember that scene. Nikki wanted to get one last look at Victor and said he was the only man she ever truly loved while Kevin was standing right there. Kay told her he's gone let him rest in peace while trying to rush her way. Nikki also argues with Julia when she tried to get to the casket to open it.....LOL