Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Lilibet Stern was very likable as Patty.  Andrea Evans, not so much.  As for Hadley not being on contract, I think he actually was a number of times, but it was always "on again, off again".  To be fair, he probably wasn't always needed around too much when the law enforcement element wasn't a part of a particular story.  As for the most recent "crazy Patty" story, they tried to bring Carolyn Conwell back (Doug Davidson personally asked her to), but she was well into retirement by then, and refused.  So, they did what they could with the family, and most of the actors just kind of ran their course.  I miss seeing the Williams house set in particular.  It was so middle class and relatable.

Edited by trainman

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree. I always remember the Williams home and it's middle class colonial suburban style. In the mid 90's they randomly started talking about Patty around the time Bug & Paul were planning their wedding.They showed photos of Lilibet Stern in the family photo album as Bug & Mary looked at it and Mary told her that Patty was her sister in law. Then a few episodes later they showed the back of a blonde woman in a phone booth dialing the Williams home while everyone was at the wedding. It never amounted to anything. 

• Members

Seeing Patty in 1982, she had the rare distinction of being a good girl and being interesting at the same time.  I often wonder how she would have played the shooting and the aftermath.  And I do agree had she remained, she would have carried story well into the 80s..maybe even being Danny's end game.

And her return in the 2000s had potential had the show kept her as eccentric instead of making her full ok crazy.  Early on there was a scene where she admitted her anguish at not comforting Paul after Nikki broke up with him.  Shame writers prefer over the top instead of more relatable moments.

• Members

Maria Arena Bell was the queen of that. It was sad bc she knew the history so well and did bring back so many wonderful characters, but she’d put them into stories that were just insane or waste them. Like you said, Patty had potential to be an interesting long term character but they went too far. I feel the same for Adam. I will never like that character based on how much story he burned through with the first two actors. Justin Hartley and Mark Gorssman are good actors, but the history is too toxic for me to care about him. 

The biggest disappointment for me though had to be Olivia’s non story, even when Malcolm was recast and Nina. Sticking Nina with Paul was a bizarre choice given her friendship with Christine (which they neglected) and their severe lack of chemistry. I liked that both of her sons were back and Tricia Cast was giving POWERHOUSE performances but the material wasn’t to her level. It never made sense not to put her in Restless Style or use her writing career. 

• Members

Do you think Andrea Evans was cast as Patty due to her being a big ABC name at the time?

In the first half of the 1980s, Y&R cast alot of former Days actors: Margaret Mason, Peter Brown, Suzanne Zenor, Mark Tapscott, Patty Weaver, Tracey Bregman, Susan Seaforth Hayes. I'm sure there were more but those are the main ones that come to mind as most of them worked with either Bill Bell or H. Wesley Kenney on Days. 

• Members

The uploads are up to December 1982! I hope that @FrenchFan has the summaries for the rest of the year. I really enjoy reading them. I found some others they posted years ago but they're not as detailed. I love the bits of dialogue. Makes me feel like I watched it, except I picture Brenda Dickson instead of Deborah Adair.

These are the other summaries from 1982

• Members

In fact, TEB has always credited H. Wes Kenney for casting her on Y&R and for remembering her from DAYS. I think TEB once told a story about Kenney coming to her house and talking about the role with her. 

Would love to learn more about Kenney's involvement on the show at this time - especially after things broke down between Bell and Conboy, and Kenney was hired to replace Conboy and to help Bell reinvigorate the show. Unlike say Ed Scott, Kenney seemed to have much more creative involvement than other EP's who worked for Bell did.