DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

14 hours ago, trainman said:

Lilibet Stern was very likable as Patty.  Andrea Evans, not so much.  

Do you think Andrea Evans was cast as Patty due to her being a big ABC name at the time?

In the first half of the 1980s, Y&R cast alot of former Days actors: Margaret Mason, Peter Brown, Suzanne Zenor, Mark Tapscott, Patty Weaver, Tracey Bregman, Susan Seaforth Hayes. I'm sure there were more but those are the main ones that come to mind as most of them worked with either Bill Bell or H. Wesley Kenney on Days. 

4 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

Seeing Patty in 1982, she had the rare distinction of being a good girl and being interesting at the same time.  I often wonder how she would have played the shooting and the aftermath.  And I do agree had she remained, she would have carried story well into the 80s..maybe even being Danny's end game.

And her return in the 2000s had potential had the show kept her as eccentric instead of making her full ok crazy.  Early on there was a scene where she admitted her anguish at not comforting Paul after Nikki broke up with him.  Shame writers prefer over the top instead of more relatable moments.

I thought SH Patty was such a fascinating character at first and provided such great story. Like you said, if they hadn't made her full on crazy and written her into a corner, she could have stuck around.

24 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

I thought SH Patty was such a fascinating character at first and provided such great story. Like you said, if they hadn't made her full on crazy and written her into a corner, she could have stuck around.

Do you think they can do a redemption/rehabilitation storyline with Patty??

4 minutes ago, cassadine1991 said:

Only with Lilibet Stern in the role......LOL

I wonder how Krista Tesreau would be as Patty ? I just remember her as Mindy on GL, but heard she was horrible on OLTL.

Edited by SoapDope

4 minutes ago, cassadine1991 said:

Would love to see that happen...maybe Patty also had a child when she was off-screen.

The uploads are up to December 1982! I hope that @FrenchFan has the summaries for the rest of the year. I really enjoy reading them. I found some others they posted years ago but they're not as detailed. I love the bits of dialogue. Makes me feel like I watched it, except I picture Brenda Dickson instead of Deborah Adair.

These are the other summaries from 1982

1 hour ago, BoldRestless said:

The uploads are up to December 1982! I hope that @FrenchFan has the summaries for the rest of the year. I really enjoy reading them. I found some others they posted years ago but they're not as detailed. I love the bits of dialogue. Makes me feel like I watched it, except I picture Brenda Dickson instead of Deborah Adair.

These are the other summaries from 1982

Finally a recap that says when greg foster left town be a use for a long time i thought he disappeared in july but it was September and apparently after things didn't workout with Chris.

3 hours ago, kalbir said:

Do you think Andrea Evans was cast as Patty due to her being a big ABC name at the time?

In the first half of the 1980s, Y&R cast alot of former Days actors: Margaret Mason, Peter Brown, Suzanne Zenor, Mark Tapscott, Patty Weaver, Tracey Bregman, Susan Seaforth Hayes. I'm sure there were more but those are the main ones that come to mind as most of them worked with either Bill Bell or H. Wesley Kenney on Days. 

In fact, TEB has always credited H. Wes Kenney for casting her on Y&R and for remembering her from DAYS. I think TEB once told a story about Kenney coming to her house and talking about the role with her. 

Would love to learn more about Kenney's involvement on the show at this time - especially after things broke down between Bell and Conboy, and Kenney was hired to replace Conboy and to help Bell reinvigorate the show. Unlike say Ed Scott, Kenney seemed to have much more creative involvement than other EP's who worked for Bell did. 

1 hour ago, BetterForgotten said:

In fact, TEB has always credited H. Wes Kenney for casting her on Y&R and for remembering her from DAYS. I think TEB once told a story about Kenney coming to her house and talking about the role with her. 

Would love to learn more about Kenney's involvement on the show at this time - especially after things broke down between Bell and Conboy, and Kenney was hired to replace Conboy and to help Bell reinvigorate the show. Unlike say Ed Scott, Kenney seemed to have much more creative involvement than other EP's who worked for Bell did. 

I read that Kenney insisted the Stevens family be removed when he stepped onboard. I wonder why ? Did he just take one look at them and some of the other cast member and say " Ahhhh Hell No,  I'm not feeling this " ?

Guess Bill Bell had a lot of respect for Kenney and trusted his instincts. There was an interesting Afternoon TVinterview with Kenney from that time. Hope someone has it and can post it.T

he only thing I recall is Kenney talking about dropping the moody lighting. That may have been a production decision as much as an aesthetic  choice as there wasn't the time available to light the sets with the hour format.

13 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Guess Bill Bell had a lot of respect for Kenney and trusted his instincts. There was an interesting Afternoon TVinterview with Kenney from that time. Hope someone has it and can post it.T

he only thing I recall is Kenney talking about dropping the moody lighting. That may have been a production decision as much as an aesthetic  choice as there wasn't the time available to light the sets with the hour format.

The first decade did have a more moody melodramatic feel to it. It was basically a different show. Then came the changes of the core cast, lighting, and some light hearted (comedy) elements were added to bring the show into another phase. 

I love Kenney’s Y&R, so much of what I know the show to be happened during his tenure.  I also loved him on GH.

Was Andrea Evans really a huge “get” at that time?  Tina didn’t become iconic until her return stint, when she was dropped into the story about being a Lord.

Edited by titan1978

51 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

Was Andrea Evans really a huge “get” at that time?  Tina didn’t become iconic until her return stint, when she was dropped into the story about being a Lord.

I think Andrea was considered a "get" thanks to being on an ABC show (even though she had some time off). You're right, though, she didn't blossom into an A-1 star until '85-'90. If she returned to Y&R in 1990 (which obviously wasn't going to happen), it'd be a big deal.