Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Guess Bill Bell had a lot of respect for Kenney and trusted his instincts. There was an interesting Afternoon TVinterview with Kenney from that time. Hope someone has it and can post it.T

he only thing I recall is Kenney talking about dropping the moody lighting. That may have been a production decision as much as an aesthetic  choice as there wasn't the time available to light the sets with the hour format.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The first decade did have a more moody melodramatic feel to it. It was basically a different show. Then came the changes of the core cast, lighting, and some light hearted (comedy) elements were added to bring the show into another phase. 

• Members

I love Kenney’s Y&R, so much of what I know the show to be happened during his tenure.  I also loved him on GH.

Was Andrea Evans really a huge “get” at that time?  Tina didn’t become iconic until her return stint, when she was dropped into the story about being a Lord.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I think Andrea was considered a "get" thanks to being on an ABC show (even though she had some time off). You're right, though, she didn't blossom into an A-1 star until '85-'90. If she returned to Y&R in 1990 (which obviously wasn't going to happen), it'd be a big deal.

• Members

I had no idea who she was when she showed up to replace Lilibet Stern. I did not like her in the role at all. It wasn't several till years later that I learned she had been on and returned to OLTL. I did not watch ABC soaps. She had been married to and divorced from Wayne Massey (also from OLTL). He married country singer Charly McClain in 1984 and were popular in the 80's on the country music scene, but they both faded from the spotlight by 1990.

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

There were also more action/adventure elements added, starting with the police corruption/mob storyline. That was the General Hospital influence, as they started the whole action/adventure/supercouple craze in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Even Y&R was not immune to 1980s trends but at least they didn't go ham with the whole action/adventure/supercouple craze like Days did from 1983-1990.

Agree. H. Wesley Kenney's era laid the groundwork for Y&R as we know it today.

• Members

I posted a comment earlier saying that a redemption storyline could possibly be written if they perhaps brought back Michael Damian as Danny, and wrote a story about Patty going back to where it first began for her. It would rope in Traci straight away due to the history between the three, not to mention the ties that Danny has to Phyllis, Chris, Lauren, Michael and Paul. Lots and lots of pre-existing backstory that can easily be used, if the writing was executed properly.

• Members

It's odd seeing Jill and Andy being romantic..but I could buy it with DA playing Jill.  BD and JW's Jill wouldn't have ever considered dating Andy.

What led Jill and Andy to date?    Did it have to do with Phillip?  They seem a nice couple..but no long term potential..imho

• Members

I got through all the 1982 clips/episodes and now 1983 clips are up. That year had some big cast changes too: Andrea Evans as recast Patty, Tracey Bregman arrives as Lauren, Marla Adams arrives as Dina, Brenda Dickson returns as Jill. Hopefully there will be more of 1983 showing up.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

We're like panhandlers, just thrilled with whatever little coin someone throws us.  lol.  

Looking back at these clips, it's easy to see why Bill Bell opted to make the changes that he did.   Some of the young performers (specifically Terry Lester, Doug Davidson, Melody Thomas, Lilibet Stern, Beth Maitland, and Eileen Davidson) are so FRESH and so full of charisma that it's easy to see how he decided they could carry the show forward into the 1980s.

If it was Wes Kenney's idea to ditch the entire Stevens family, then I sure don't blame him.  Lord, they were a bore --- although, in hindsight, there's something sweetly pathetic about the manner in which Cindy Eilbacher played April Stevens.  In 1982, I thought she was a drag.  Now I'm finding that I kinda like her.    

• Members

April had some fire AND a mullet. lol.   Bobbie was ok, too.  The parents drove me crazy, and mainly it was because they were quarantined in that same dreary set 24/7, repeating the SAME lines of dialogue.  ("That Williams scum better do the right thing by April."  "What about April and that Precious Little Girl?"  "She's asking too many questions about Her Twin."  "Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a Real Family.")