Y&R: Old Articles

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

I love Kenney’s Y&R, so much of what I know the show to be happened during his tenure.  I also loved him on GH.

Was Andrea Evans really a huge “get” at that time?  Tina didn’t become iconic until her return stint, when she was dropped into the story about being a Lord.

I had no idea who she was when she showed up to replace Lilibet Stern. I did not like her in the role at all. It wasn't several till years later that I learned she had been on and returned to OLTL. I did not watch ABC soaps. She had been married to and divorced from Wayne Massey (also from OLTL). He married country singer Charly McClain in 1984 and were popular in the 80's on the country music scene, but they both faded from the spotlight by 1990.

Edited by SoapDope

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, SoapDope said:

Then came the changes of the core cast, lighting, and some light hearted (comedy) elements were added to bring the show into another phase. 

There were also more action/adventure elements added, starting with the police corruption/mob storyline. That was the General Hospital influence, as they started the whole action/adventure/supercouple craze in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Even Y&R was not immune to 1980s trends but at least they didn't go ham with the whole action/adventure/supercouple craze like Days did from 1983-1990.

4 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I love Kenney’s Y&R, so much of what I know the show to be happened during his tenure.

Agree. H. Wesley Kenney's era laid the groundwork for Y&R as we know it today.

10 hours ago, cassadine1991 said:

Do you think they can do a redemption/rehabilitation storyline with Patty??

I posted a comment earlier saying that a redemption storyline could possibly be written if they perhaps brought back Michael Damian as Danny, and wrote a story about Patty going back to where it first began for her. It would rope in Traci straight away due to the history between the three, not to mention the ties that Danny has to Phyllis, Chris, Lauren, Michael and Paul. Lots and lots of pre-existing backstory that can easily be used, if the writing was executed properly.

It's odd seeing Jill and Andy being romantic..but I could buy it with DA playing Jill.  BD and JW's Jill wouldn't have ever considered dating Andy.

What led Jill and Andy to date?    Did it have to do with Phillip?  They seem a nice couple..but no long term potential..imho

1 minute ago, Soaplovers said:

It's odd seeing Jill and Andy being romantic..but I could buy it with DA playing Jill.  BD and JW's Jill wouldn't have ever considered dating Andy.

What led Jill and Andy to date?    Did it have to do with Phillip?  They seem a nice couple..but no long term potential..imho

I could buy pre-1980 BD Jill dating Andy, if only with a lot more sighing and eye rolling at the lack of extravagance.

Posted (edited)

I got through all the 1982 clips/episodes and now 1983 clips are up. That year had some big cast changes too: Andrea Evans as recast Patty, Tracey Bregman arrives as Lauren, Marla Adams arrives as Dina, Brenda Dickson returns as Jill. Hopefully there will be more of 1983 showing up.

Edited by kalbir
3 hours ago, blueberrywaffle said:

Who is the woman that is with Lucas often in the 1982 clips?

Karen? Andy’s ex wife. 

15 minutes ago, kalbir said:

I got through all the 1982 clips/episodes and now 1983 clips are up. That year had some big cast changes too: Andrea Evans as recast Patty, Tracey Bregman arrives as Lauren, Marla Adams arrives as Dina, Brenda Dickson returns as Jill. Hopefully there will be more of 1983 showing up.

I am so annoyed when scenes are cut. I am grateful of course but I really wanted to see more Abbott stuff.

1 hour ago, FrenchFan said:

I am so annoyed when scenes are cut. I am grateful of course but I really wanted to see more Abbott stuff.

We're like panhandlers, just thrilled with whatever little coin someone throws us.  lol.  

Looking back at these clips, it's easy to see why Bill Bell opted to make the changes that he did.   Some of the young performers (specifically Terry Lester, Doug Davidson, Melody Thomas, Lilibet Stern, Beth Maitland, and Eileen Davidson) are so FRESH and so full of charisma that it's easy to see how he decided they could carry the show forward into the 1980s.

If it was Wes Kenney's idea to ditch the entire Stevens family, then I sure don't blame him.  Lord, they were a bore --- although, in hindsight, there's something sweetly pathetic about the manner in which Cindy Eilbacher played April Stevens.  In 1982, I thought she was a drag.  Now I'm finding that I kinda like her.    

15 minutes ago, Broderick said:

We're like panhandlers, just thrilled with whatever little coin someone throws us.  lol.  

Looking back at these clips, it's easy to see why Bill Bell opted to make the changes that he did.   Some of the young performers (specifically Terry Lester, Doug Davidson, Melody Thomas, Lilibet Stern, Beth Maitland, and Eileen Davidson) are so FRESH and so full of charisma that it's easy to see how he decided they could carry the show forward into the 1980s.

If it was Wes Kenney's idea to ditch the entire Stevens family, then I sure don't blame him.  Lord, they were a bore --- although, in hindsight, there's something sweetly pathetic about the manner in which Cindy Eilbacher played April Stevens.  In 1982, I thought she was a drag.  Now I'm finding that I kinda like her.    

April had some fire in her final.scenes...but I would have kept on Barbara a bit longer.

13 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

April had some fire in her final.scenes...but I would have kept on Barbara a bit longer.

April had some fire AND a mullet. lol.   Bobbie was ok, too.  The parents drove me crazy, and mainly it was because they were quarantined in that same dreary set 24/7, repeating the SAME lines of dialogue.  ("That Williams scum better do the right thing by April."  "What about April and that Precious Little Girl?"  "She's asking too many questions about Her Twin."  "Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a Real Family.")  

Just watched the first of the 1983 clips. Victor and Julia ❤️!! And would it be too crude of me to say that I would just scoop Kevin in my arms and have my way with him? He is just so puppy-dog adorable! And he and Nikki are dynamite 🧨 

22 minutes ago, OzFrog said:

Just watched the first of the 1983 clips. Victor and Julia ❤️!! And would it be too crude of me to say that I would just scoop Kevin in my arms and have my way with him? He is just so puppy-dog adorable! And he and Nikki are dynamite 🧨 

Kevin is adorable and a good singer too. Interesting that they seemed to have chem tested him with Ashley. And there was Allison's line about John Abbot having "two marriageable daughters." I thought they should have kept him around. I really love the whole Bancroft family storyline.

4 minutes ago, BoldRestless said:

Kevin is adorable and a good singer too. Interesting that they seemed to have chem tested him with Ashley. And there was Allison's line about John Abbot having "two marriageable daughters." I thought they should have kept him around. I really love the whole Bancroft family storyline.

I havent watched 83 yet but i did see that kevin and ashley had scenes which i was shocked about i never knew they got chem tested i wonder how that went.

I also think kevin would have been great on the show moving forward, im surprised they never brought him back on ever again.

Posted (edited)

I don't think anything further happened with Kevin and Ashley other than those scenes at the Newman Towers construction site and the Jabot lab. Not long after Ashley was paired with that chemist Brian but was another pairing that didn't last.

There was also a scene with Jack bringing flowers to Julia but I don't think anything came of that either. I wonder if Jack knew during Julia's Jabot modelling days that Julia was married to Victor. There was a scene where Victor mentioned Jabot and John Abbott so Victor knew of the Abbotts but Victor wasn't placed in the Abbotts orbit until 1984.

Edited by kalbir