As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

That makes it even more incredible that nearly two years later, that whole bathtub scene would not only occur but lead to this shocking elopement.

The thing is, Lucinda didn't always dislike John. Lucinda used to taunt John's former wife Karen about being ill-suited to be Mrs. Dr. John Dixon. It seemed to come from a place of jealousy, as if to say that Lucinda herself would have been better suited to be a doctor's wife and that Karen was not good enough for him, I think she as much as said so. This was in '84, early '85. So there was some sort if attraction/revulsion element at work, seemingly from the beginning.

The thing that is most unfortunate about what soaps have become over time is that there no longer seems to room for complexity in how characters are written or how they interact. Everything now is so obvious.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Gotta love Lucille Bluth!

I'm really curious, mainly because P&G has used the old excuse that digitizing their episodes would be too much work but I suspect that the workload, while not insignificant, is likely less than what they claim it is. Certainly, had they allowed the SoapClassics people to continue their work of digitization of episodes in 2012, they certainly would've made considerable progress by now.

Could you have imagined how many episodes that could've been in a ten year span? I imagine that, at the very least, some of the most requested episodes in the show: last 30 years would have been digitized and either uploaded to their website or sold as DVDs/downloads. That would have been incredible!

• Members

I doubt that would provide the answer l, but thanks for responding anyway.

Maybe if Alan Locher (or somebody) has a livestream with ATWT producers like he did with GL, I could ask? I wouldn't watch the whole thing but I might watch long enough to ask the question and bounce, lol.

• Members

There were some minor tweaks that go unnoticed by most people but having studied music, I can tell. I will say that the basic melody stayed the same. If you ask me the theme song actually got worse when they changed it some years later. I never understood why they just do a variation of this or the first theme song to make more contemporary.

Technically, Y&R has had the same basic theme for decades, so having the same basic theme was not the problem, if you tweak it in the right ways to update it in a way that works.

• Members

Yup, by 1988, they had tweaked the theme song. They also removed most of the percussive elements from the song, which I didn't care for, at all. It sounded overly synthesized, overly "produced". If anything, they should've stripped it down a bit. Added strings, the sound of a piano, changed the pace, either slower or a bit quicker. 

Ironically, the variations on the theme song that they sometimes did within actual scenes were usually very lovely.