Jump to content

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

She played Edith (Edie) Hughes, Chris' troubled sister. It was before my time but I  imagine there is someone who can fill us in.

 

 

Edited by oakdalelover
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    2382

  • DramatistDreamer

    1280

  • Soapsuds

    1018

  • P.J.

    648

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, oakdalelover said:

She played Edith (Edie) Hughes, Chris' troubled sister. It was before my time but I  imagine there is someone who can fill us in.

 

 

I wish there was an episode with her in it on YouTube.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edith's affair with the very married (to Claire) Jim Lowell was pretty much the story that kicked off ATWT, as their illicit relationship sent shock waves through the Hughes and Lowell families, who were also connected via the law firm of Hughes, Lowell & Hughes.  (Or was it Lowell, Hughes & Lowell?  Anyways.) IIRC, Irna wanted the story to end with Edith and Jim happily married, but P&G opposed, saying it would send the wrong message to audiences.  So, instead, she killed off Jim, and Edith later married George Frey before the two moved out of Oakdale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Khan said:

Edith's affair with the very married (to Claire) Jim Lowell was pretty much the story that kicked off ATWT, as their illicit relationship sent shock waves through the Hughes and Lowell families, who were also connected via the law firm of Hughes, Lowell & Hughes.  (Or was it Lowell, Hughes & Lowell?  Anyways.) IIRC, Irna wanted the story to end with Edith and Jim happily married, but P&G opposed, saying it would send the wrong message to audiences.  So, instead, she killed off Jim, and Edith later married George Frey before the two moved out of Oakdale.

 

That's fascinating, given how much of a moralist Irna often was reported to have become later on re: stories about infidelity, offscreen behavior, etc. I thought the only example of an opposite reaction was her adoration of Kim, who she seemed to craft in her own fantasy image.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I wish there was an episode with her in it on YouTube.

There is.

Ruth (as Edie) returned in 1963 when Grandpa Hughes celebrated his 70th but that was it for Edie as Ruth was working in Hollywood on Peyton Place in the late 60's and then on AMC so Edie could never return.

The early days of ATWT (John Hughes and Edie) was pretty much forgotten by the 60's although I wonder if Irna kept them alive through referencing them.

I remember seeing a summary from 1968 in which Nancy mentions her sister Pearl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

There is.

Ruth (as Edie) returned in 1963 when Grandpa Hughes celebrated his 70th but that was it for Edie as Ruth was working in Hollywood on Peyton Place in the late 60's and then on AMC so Edie could never return.

The early days of ATWT (John Hughes and Edie) was pretty much forgotten by the 60's although I wonder if Irna kept them alive through referencing them.

I remember seeing a summary from 1968 in which Nancy mentions her sister Pearl.

Thanks!

 

Here is Ruth talking about her time on ATWT

 

 

Francis Reid on ATWT. Didn't know that either

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

There is.

Ruth (as Edie) returned in 1963 when Grandpa Hughes celebrated his 70th but that was it for Edie as Ruth was working in Hollywood on Peyton Place in the late 60's and then on AMC so Edie could never return.

The early days of ATWT (John Hughes and Edie) was pretty much forgotten by the 60's although I wonder if Irna kept them alive through referencing them.

I remember seeing a summary from 1968 in which Nancy mentions her sister Pearl.


I always wished the show had added a couple more Hughes characters via John and Marian Hughes. Always been fascinated what the story was with them but there is such little info! 
 

I think someone here early mentioned Edie would also returned for a couple holidays in addition to the 1963 return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, oakdalelover said:

I found this ad in a facebook page .

 

 

 

 

That is a great ad!

 

Clearly a time when CBS and P&G actually know how to craft an effective ad. A different era.

 

Toward the end of the show's run, it often seemed as if CBS and P&G were working at cross-purposes where the show was concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, soapfan770 said:


I always wished the show had added a couple more Hughes characters via John and Marian Hughes. Always been fascinated what the story was with them but there is such little info! 
 

I think someone here early mentioned Edie would also returned for a couple holidays in addition to the 1963 return. 

I always wished they had brought on their grandkids in the 80s. I see a Carly Tenny kind of schemer sent to the "big city" to live with Nancy and Chris and as we all know, Nancy knows how to deal with, and have a soft spot for little schemers. That would have given them new life during the Dobson's era..(especially if they had brought in the missing Eldgridge son of Lisa's earlier and the Hughes tramp running after him...causing tension between Nancy and Lisa..."You do know who she reminds me of don't you???"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always loved the Nancy/Lisa vibe...my favorite scenes was after Eduardo died..and there was broken glass all over her apartment.  Nancy came over, cleaned up the mess and wouldn't leave like anyone else...and the two had a heart to heart about grief.

 

I don't think the bond was shown much at all after Sheffer came in..imho

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

I always loved the Nancy/Lisa vibe...my favorite scenes was after Eduardo died..and there was broken glass all over her apartment.  Nancy came over, cleaned up the mess and wouldn't leave like anyone else...and the two had a heart to heart about grief.

 

I don't think the bond was shown much at all after Sheffer came in..imho

Agreed, but we did get that great line and one last time for Nancy to ring Lisa's beads during Bob and Kim's anniversary..."You AREN'T helping...DEAR!" Come to think of it Lisa was the most Lisa she was in years in taking barely hidden delight in Bob and Kim's problem.

Edited by Mitch
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not much here that would surprise, but it shines another light on how unhappy those last years of ATWT were (and it really did show up onscreen).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy