Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Edith's affair with the very married (to Claire) Jim Lowell was pretty much the story that kicked off ATWT, as their illicit relationship sent shock waves through the Hughes and Lowell families, who were also connected via the law firm of Hughes, Lowell & Hughes.  (Or was it Lowell, Hughes & Lowell?  Anyways.) IIRC, Irna wanted the story to end with Edith and Jim happily married, but P&G opposed, saying it would send the wrong message to audiences.  So, instead, she killed off Jim, and Edith later married George Frey before the two moved out of Oakdale.

• Members

That's fascinating, given how much of a moralist Irna often was reported to have become later on re: stories about infidelity, offscreen behavior, etc. I thought the only example of an opposite reaction was her adoration of Kim, who she seemed to craft in her own fantasy image.

• Members

There is.

Ruth (as Edie) returned in 1963 when Grandpa Hughes celebrated his 70th but that was it for Edie as Ruth was working in Hollywood on Peyton Place in the late 60's and then on AMC so Edie could never return.

The early days of ATWT (John Hughes and Edie) was pretty much forgotten by the 60's although I wonder if Irna kept them alive through referencing them.

I remember seeing a summary from 1968 in which Nancy mentions her sister Pearl.

• Members

I always wished the show had added a couple more Hughes characters via John and Marian Hughes. Always been fascinated what the story was with them but there is such little info! 

I think someone here early mentioned Edie would also returned for a couple holidays in addition to the 1963 return. 

• Members

I always wished they had brought on their grandkids in the 80s. I see a Carly Tenny kind of schemer sent to the "big city" to live with Nancy and Chris and as we all know, Nancy knows how to deal with, and have a soft spot for little schemers. That would have given them new life during the Dobson's era..(especially if they had brought in the missing Eldgridge son of Lisa's earlier and the Hughes tramp running after him...causing tension between Nancy and Lisa..."You do know who she reminds me of don't you???"

• Members

I always loved the Nancy/Lisa vibe...my favorite scenes was after Eduardo died..and there was broken glass all over her apartment.  Nancy came over, cleaned up the mess and wouldn't leave like anyone else...and the two had a heart to heart about grief.

I don't think the bond was shown much at all after Sheffer came in..imho

• Members

Agreed, but we did get that great line and one last time for Nancy to ring Lisa's beads during Bob and Kim's anniversary..."You AREN'T helping...DEAR!" Come to think of it Lisa was the most Lisa she was in years in taking barely hidden delight in Bob and Kim's problem.

Edited by Mitch