As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

A September 1978 'Tune in Tommorow' column from Jon Michael Reed officially announces the departures of Judge Lowell (William Johnstone) Alma Miller (Dorothy Blackburn) and Betsy Stewart (Suzanne Davidson).

I know Betsy continued to appear, so I wonder if this refers to contract status-they went recurring?

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

July 66 newspaper summary (slightly tongue in cheek)

Donald Hughes, a lawyer, tells Sandra she will be getting her divorce from Roy McGuire in a week. Sandra thinks that's just fine, but doesn't like the prospect of going to court. The last time she was in a hall of justice, the judge gave her a year in prison with time off for good behavior. Roy McGuire is in prison. Sandra does not want him to have anything to do with their baby. Jimmy, when he gets out. Maybe she will marry Hal Harper. Sandra gets mad at lawyer Hughes when he informs her Harper will not be able to adopt Jimmy unless Roy McGuire gives his consent. Later, Sandra is seen leaving Dr. David Stewart's home with Dr. Bob (no last name). They sit on her front porch she talking about her son, he talking about his. For the sake of brevity, we leave out scenes alluding to Amanda, Neal, Sara Fuller, and Ellen. Also, we cannot explain what they were up to.

• Members

Jake also appeared in parody of threes company  in 2012 where he shows everything. This was post ATWT. He gets great reviews for junior...the descriptions

Please register in order to view this content

but his acting isn't that great...not surprised.

the one @Paul Raven mentions is from 2007 ATWT time.....He's supposedly jo with his gf

• Members

Years ago, some ATWT fans criticized her when she appeared to cringe at a clip of her work from the show. They took this to mean that she was somehow ashamed of her time on the soap, which I didn't interpret it that way at all. This little snippet proves my theory that JM is just very critical of her performance, especially since she was still very inexperienced and "green" on camera.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that most actors who did soaps and are reluctant to speak of it are that way because they are super critical of their performances and don't particularly wish to discuss anything in which they may not have performed up to a certain standard. We all know that soap production moves so fast that it doesn't always yield the best performances.

Personally, I try not to judge them to harshly. I know what it is like to act, perform in front of a camera and judge myself and be very critical, so I can sort of empathize a little with that feeling.

• Members

Yeah I never took her discomfort with her own work at having anything to do with the show. She speaks openly and warmly of her time on ATWT - get Meg Ryan to talk about hers and see what she says in comparison. But she is, like so many actors/resses, self-conscious, tough on herself. And even if we liked her work then, she has obviously grown as a woman and actress.

Meryl Streep once said in an interview that she cringes when watching herself in "French Lieutenant's Woman". I mean even the most talented of performers are tough on themselves!