• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Something @FrenchBug82
said in the GL thread truly got me thinking. To paraphrase: "Sometimes it's just as important to to cast the right actor for the role ss it is to cast a good actor" (or something like that, lol), which immediately got me thinking of how Lyndsey Frost was miscast for Betsy, though I really liked the actress. It didn't only have to do with her minimal romantic chemistry with Frank Runyeon-she didn't believably fit as Ellen and David's granddaughter. I think she had good chemistry with Pat Bruder, Forsythe Henderson and Melanie Smith, so perhaps I would've kept her within the Stewart lineage, or perhaps I would've made her a Lowell or even an English. I just wanted to get that one out, lol.

• Members

I see that episode has a brief glimpse of Maeve Maguire during her period temping as Lisa. 

Nice to see a glimpse of early Connor, and of Carolyn. And Darryl when he was wearing his Merchant/Ivory mustache to seem more roguish.

I know a lot of people here don't like Rex Smith's work but I thought he did fine in the role. It just wasn't a very well-written part. 

• Members

Wasn't Daryl an old boyfriend of Margo's from high school?  I'm surprised that more wasn't made of that if true.

Dana was hilarious..especially when she was taken hostage and caused her captor grief with her hysterics.  And I recall she gave Margo a weird hair style with Margo saying to Frannie 'you owe me' lol

• Members

He was, yes. They did use that to cause some professional tension for Margo, but it would have been more interesting if he had stuck around and bonded more with her when she returned to Oakdale after the recast, when she felt a bit on the outs and Dawn was falling in love with Tom. 

Dana was hilarious, yes. I hate to say it but the actress reminded me of a Fraggle. 

Daryl also had a baby with Barbara and had had a fling with Connor.  It was just too much - a type of overwriting that signaled Marland's slow loss of the economy of his pen.

• Members

I agree, and neither Smith nor Dennison were of the caliber of actor capable of rising above the material.

90% of that story is FF material for me. It just doesn't hold up well, imo. The one point of interest was the fact that Daryl had sired a child by his sister-in-law Barbara. To add insult to injury, later writing regimes did almost nothing with the character of Jennifer Munson, giving her a brief spark before killing her off, which, in the long arc of Oakdale history, makes the character and all elements of that storyline feel pointless.

• Members

I wish they would've brought back Darryl and Carolyn Dana back in the 2000's when Jennifer was alive. It would've been an interesting story to have Jennifer torn between Hal and her biological father. Along with a half-sister she doesn't know who could've been a vixen herself. 

So much wasted opportunity with ATWT's legacy characters.