As The World Turns Discussion Thread

34 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

Please register in order to view this content
English isn't my first language. Did you get off publicly correcting me? I know i make a boatload of grammatical errors. Which is why i'm constantly editing my posts. But that was cruel and shady.

Call it a free English lesson. No reason to get hysterical. What is your native tongue, may I ask?

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, victoria foxton said:

English isn't my first language. Did you get off publicly correcting me? I know i make a boatload of grammatical errors. Which is why i'm constantly editing my posts. But that was cruel and shady.

Your post was perfectly understandable as it was. And truth be told I initially thought that punctuation was a choice for emphasis so I didn't realize English wasn't your first language.
Ignore whatever that unnecessary response was. Your post was fine

48 minutes ago, P.J. said:

This may be the first time I've read of anyone praising Van Hansis' acting. Straight or gay, I doubt Lily's child would have been interesting (a problem that plagued many soap children of iconic characters---all of Reva's children were dull as dishwater)...and no doubt the vanilla writing played a part, but to me, Hansis lacked depth. (and I thought a lot of Luke stories were about his victimhood.

Being victimized is a frequent trope of LGBT characters on soaps but it made sense of the son of *Lily* to have inherited the dude-in-distress genes.
That said, while Van Hansis was never a mind-blowing actor or even charimastic the way Chandler Massey is, I thought he was solid and I never had any issue with his acting.
Considering some of the planks of wood he has to act with, that's high praise.

Edited by FrenchBug82
43 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Your post was perfectly understandable as it was. And truth be told I initially thought that punctuation was a choice for emphasis so I didn't realize English wasn't your first language.
Ignore whatever that unnecessary response was. Your post was fine

Thanks! I put that person on ignore. This has been a great discussion. Over the last couple of days. I hate it got interrupt. 

On 2/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, allmc2008 said:

Call it a free English lesson. No reason to get hysterical. What is your native tongue, may I ask?

I must ask, is there a specific reason why unsolicited advice on grammar is suddenly necessary?

Edited by vetsoapfan
17 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

Reid was an amazing character. A strong unapologetic gay man. Along the lines of Gale Harold's Queer As Folk Brian Kinney. The off the charts chemistry. Shared between Princess Luke and Reid was a sight to behold. Luke grew much more as a person with Reid. Then he ever did with bland Noah. Reid was the best thing to happened to ATWT. In it's last days. He was a fluke. That was foolishly killed off at the end.

Best of all, Eric Sheffer Stevens appeared to be WAY more comfortable "playing gay" than Jake Silbermann ever did.

18 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

OK I hate to be placed in a position to contest this because 1) I agree with you; things can change AND soaps are a good place to force the change even by being a bit ahead of the viewership 2) It shouldn't matter. The bigots can go to Hell. I don't think it should matter that there are some vocal racists when producers create stories and I think there would be MORE to gain in viewers watching than to lose. As often, black women are very underestimated as a powerful audience. Catering to them could give a powerful boost to ratings that more than balances out the white Karens who would decide to go pout. 

BUT the comparison with Bridgerton is very misplaced because the audience for a Netflix or primetime show is not the same audience as for a daytime soap.
Soap producers are targeting the very narrow demographic slice that is still watching soap and it is a very different audience, more conservative on average.
Yes, I agree that they are being TOO cautious by being overly scared of losing even part of that audience because they feel they can't afford to lose any at this stage BUT while it is callous, it is not ridiculous. It is a penny-pinching overly cautious short-sighted logic but it is not an absurd one.

It is just tht soap producers are not known to have a great record thinking beyond the next couple of months when it comes to the interest of their show. And sometimes protecting the next couple of months hurts long-term - like, and we go back to agreeing, in this case.

It does sound like we do indeed agree on the main points.

It will be interesting to see how long these daytime soaps can hang in there with this type of provincial mindset. Seems as if they are barely hanging in there by a slender thread nowadays.

4 hours ago, Khan said:

Best of all, Eric Sheffer Stevens appeared to be WAY more comfortable "playing gay" than Jake Silbermann ever did.

To think Van Hansis got to make out with ESS. Lucky bastard

4 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

If you ask me, ESS was the lucky one 

Gay Van....I found him attractive back in the day. But IMO of the two ESS  is the better catch!

5 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Gay Van....I found him attractive back in the day. But IMO of the two ESS  is the better catch!

Ehh... I was a teenage boy at the time lol. But despite that, I was still able to see how bad the writing was. I hated that Luke was alone by the finale.

6 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Ehh... I was a teenage boy at the time lol. But despite that, I was still able to see how bad the writing was. I hated that Luke was alone by the finale.

Yeah we should've gotten a Reid and Luke ending. Goutman didn't give a damn.

Edited by Soapsuds
34 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:
26 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

I favor EES. But wouldn't kick Van out of bed. It's testament to EES talent. That he managed to create an engaging character. With Jeannie Pissy's bad writing.

Edited by victoria foxton
5 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

I favor EES. But wouldn't kick Van out bed. It's testament to EES talent. That he managed to create an engaging character. With Jeannie Pissy's bad writing.

For me, there was just something about Van.

Wasn't David Kreizman largely responsible for the creation of Reid and because of that, Jean didn't like the character?

5 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

For me, there was just something about Van.

Wasn't David Kreizman largely responsible for the creation of Reid and because of that, Jean didn't like the character?

Maybe that's why she killed Reid at the end. The boys should've ended up happily ever after.