Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They could have brought her back as Marland did, for special events and storylines..and especially towards the end of the show. They could have brought her daughter back and have her make visits, etc.  Shame that they had no imagination.

• Members

There are surprisingly few April 2nd episodes uploaded to YT. I was searching for the 1987 episode, and only the 1997 episode turned up. Other than the Nikki/Ryder conflict with Hal and Jack's jailhouse visit to Lily, the episode seemed somewhat dull for an episode airing on the show's anniversary. I know that not every year can feature a party but this one seemed so bland. Even Margo's psychotic break in the garishly lit boutique was like, meh.

Another strange but interesting marker...  A hair color commercial featuring an almost completely blonde Noelle Beck.

• Members

I would pay top dollar for box sets of surviving episodes from across the show's run featuring Irna's commentary from the grave. Pure comedy!

The Decades channel airs a nightly program called "Through the Decades" that highlights a lot of "this day in history" type of stuff, and there was a feature on ATWT on its anniversary. I think the only real clip they showed was from the early 60s episode where Lisa comes down the stairs to discover her male friend has been invited to have dinner with the Hughes family. There were some nice clips of interviews with Don, Kathryn, Helen, and Eileen from when they were taping Chris and Nancy's anniversary party in 1986. I wish they'd thrown a bone at EON.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I think I saw that segment on Decades a few years ago too.

P&G is definitely the entity standing in the way of getting any more episodes curated and released/streamed to the public.  They yanked rights out of the hands of the SoapClassics people, who seemed to be doing a fairly good job taking the distribution of classic episodes in a technologically progressive direction, by not only selling sets and collections but streaming episodes as well, which was the future back then (it is the "now" nowadays). 

I am surprised there wasn't more collective action to try to change P&G's course of action on that (online petitions existed in 2012/13) but I guess ATWT & GL fans were so used to accepting things being yanked away, that most just shrugged.

• Members

Have been scrolling through a site with random old Australian TV listings and discovered that ATWT aired in primetime in Sydney on Ch 7 in 1974!

It's from Thursday Nov 28th at 8.30pm,

This is the blurb...

Carol returns home and asks Tom to give up Natalie Bannon's case.

Grant and Joyce have a showdown and Grant decides not to divorce her until she has fully recovered.

So it seems not to far behind the US storylines.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that Oz execs would take to a daytime soap that had been running for nearly 20 years and expect viewers to be interested.

Meanwhile the same channel was airing DOOL, Y&R and GH during the day.

The Melbourne listings for the same evening do not have ATWT in the schedule, in fact the entire schedule was different. So it looks like ATWT was Sydney only exclusive.

Wonder if it was nightly and how long it lasted?

• Members

Watching November 1, 1985 episode and there is a scene between John and Lucinda, where John makes a wisecrack about Lucinda's bathtub.  I wonder if this scene was a consideration for the infamous bathtub sequence almost two years later? If it was, that would involve some memory, especially considering all the story that happened in those two years. It's just one of those minor details that one wouldn't expect to play in such a major way so far down the road.

That's one of the things I find fascinating (from a technical perspective) about the writing during this period.

Little scenes that appear to be about something completely different, but when you go back, you see seeds being planted, whereas, in real time, as you watch, you would never figure this out.

• Members

So I went back to watch the episode, what memories. I was in grade school when this aired. Marland was quite good at details from year to year. I think this was his best era with ATWT (85-90). I know Lucinda and John were popular, but I liked it better when Lucinda did not like him. Finn Carter was really a natural.