• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's such a great picture of Finn! 

These ads are great y'all are some true collectors. Looking at these ads, you get a better sense if what were the storylines going on a that time. YouTube (as lovely as it can be for watching and at the very least, better than nothing) does not give a true representation of the full slate if storylines that existed at that time. Back then, if a character appeared in an ad, you knew they had actual, significant storyline. Nowadays, they have ads where you'll see a character appear and you know darn well that character has no discernible storyline.

Are these times listed as Western time? On the East Coast, when B&B started airing, it always came on at 1:30p.m., ATWT at 2 p.m.

• Members

Ahhh... the good ol' days of TV Guide having these full-page soap ads! My family never got TVG (we used what came in the Sunday newspaper), but my best friend's family did and I used to love to read TVG when I would be over at her house.

Good question about the location of the times listed because they are definitely not East Coast. I grew up in northern New Jersey and watched soaps on WCBS out of New York City. My first recollection of the soaps schedule was Y&R at 12:30PM, ATWT at 1:30PM, Capitol at 2:30PM, and then GL at 3:00PM. B&B's debut prompted the shift with it following Y&R and ATWT bookended with GL. Honestly, it was probably better to put the Bell soaps together and the P&G soaps together in terms of flow at that point after so many other shows were gone. Perfect example was when Capitol was still on (which I liked up until the last 6-9 months or so) and you'd go from ATWT lit like a typical P&G show to 30 minutes of EP John Conboy's signature moody dark lighting before you continued on to GL which was lit like a nighttime football game. Sometimes it made/makes sense to pair/group by look and feel.

• Members

Yes, that's the lineup I remember. When I first started watching ATWT episodes again on YouTube, I realized that I had completely forgotten that Capitol was sandwiched between ATWT and GL, can't believe it took the iconic voice of Dan Region to stir that memory.

Yes, it seemed more organic to have ATWT and GL paired together. In retrospect, Capitol looks like the odd puzzle piece.

Yikes, if course I meant Central but couldn't recall the word.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

From 73 onwards, Price is Right, Match Game and Tattletales filled the  3pm hour at various times. Both Price and Match Game got moved to the mornings and All in the Family was brought in at 3 to tackle AW on NBC.

Then GL expanded which pushed Family back to 3.30.When AITF went into syndication MASH was brought in.

Finally GL took over from 3-4.

So for about 5 years CBS offered alternative to soaps at 3pm.

• Members

Yeah. She likely still is, on the inside. As for the outside, with some concerted effort, in terms of self-care, she can be yet again.

I know some people find those scenes that feature group events to be chaotic but I love the choreography of the camera work against the ebb and flow of characters moving in and out of spaces. It looks so lively.

The scenes between Kim and John and Kim and Andy seem very realistic of what you would expect from a couple and their kid when the couple's split was not amicable.

My only quibble is that I wish there were a separate channel for the soap content from the news pieces on that YouTube channel.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
The "o" and "i" key keep getting in each other's way.

• Members

LOL..I remember thinking this was the dullest bachelor party in history..obviously Marland has never been to one...poor Casey...having to go into marriage with dull as dishwater Lyla and this is the send off.

How BIG was Bob and Kim's house..that honking ass living room, foyer (Iove the "close the doors to have an inimate conversation and parternity reveal foyer that doors can easily open for snooping) den, kitchen...I remember turning into ATWT during Goutman and wondering what happened to Bob and Kim's house set where people would just walk in at all hours of day and night.

And even JAMES kidnapped Lily??? I love her offhanded comment on her kidnapping...get used to it kid.

• Members

Well, with the Hughes hosting and Casey's nephews there, what did you expect? Strippers??

Please register in order to view this content

Besides, the stripper (who had 0 rhythm) was already at Brian's bachelor party the previous year. 

By Goutman's tenure, the Hughes's house (as well as other sets) had practically been stripped and sold for parts. Tom and Margo's formerly big house was just a shell in the last decade. I can't even remember how much of Bob and Kim's house was shown beyond the path leading to the front door and perhaps part of the kitchen. I think they stopped showing the bedrooms by the late 90s. Let's not get into how piddling and pathetic Lucinda's mansion looked. SMH.

James kidnapped Lily to try to force Lucinda to continue to do his bidding, once she refused. 

I mean, one of Casey's nephews already saw Margo naked in the bathtub, so there's that. *Shrugs*

Edited by DramatistDreamer
A whole lot of keys on the keypad got in each other's way. Yikes!