As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah...see, I don't think Kim had really been "forgiven" for going after her sister's husband either. Thus she was forced into a loveless marriage, and then a triangle from hell. It's just because everything moved slower in those days that we think "geez, six years after the fact, why didn't they just hook Bob and Kim up?"

They were shown developing their friendship---and I think DH and KH always underplayed that "if only" vibe. And this is before the "supercouple". I think EPs/HWs were less inclined to keep revisiting a couple once they were done.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

First off, I'm loving the '79 episodes. Having read Lisa's bio and picking my mom's brain, I've only read and heard good things about the Willows/Bennett Hadley saga. Glad I can now see it. I somewhat wish with Lisa's waning love life the last 10+ years of the show, they would've brought back Grant or Bennett for her.

Secondly, I loved Gregg Marx's interview. What I've seen of him from clips as Tom, I've enjoyed, and he's what I call good eye candy. Sexy but uber talented. Even though he's old enough to have birthed me, he can definitely still holla. :P And I'm praying that Mark Collier announce he's gay so I can track him down too. That man . . . *fans myself*

Coming to this thread and reading commentary from long-time soap fans that I respect as they share nuggets I've never heard before, along with reading old SOD articles, watching old clips depresses me. Makes me miss the denizens of Oakdale so much more.

Thank God for this thread, fanatics, and YouTube for keeping this treasure alive.

• Members

I'm not sure why they never brought back Grant. I guess they just didn't care about Lisa at all in the last years.

I am happy the thread is so active and generally has been. The clips from WLS help, but it's the people here who make me want to discuss it.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

They did bring Grant back for a handful of episodes around the time Earl died. Or they were solving who killed Earl and Glenn was gaslighting Lisa maybe?

IMDB doesn't have anything listed for him after 1987 though. Maybe he retired. He's still alive and turns 80 in Dec.

Edited by P.J.

• Members
:P

And DRW50,

II hated that Lisa became a "talk to" and wasn't utilized. Just because she's over 50 doesn't mean she can't get her back broke or have a romance. That unnerved me. Same thing with Lucinda too. I thought they were going to finally give poor Liz Hubbard something to sink her teeth into with the Brian story (with Luke) but they didn't. It ended up being a flop.

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

Grant returned briefly in 1997 or so, when Lisa felt down in the dumps. After that I don't think he did.

There were several ways they could have gone with Lisa at the end, to give her a nice goodbye. They didn't seem to care.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Even in the last episode, it felt like they only included her to appease longtime fans of the character, not because she's one of she show's biggest characters. She felt like such a dayplayer/afterthought.

I knew Fulton could be "difficult," but she did maintain a consistent presence on the show until Goutman, I just don't think he cared for her/Lisa.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Yea, I think the Dobson's felt that their new families should be introduced using core characters, which I would agree with. Besides Margo and Maggie, I was never interested in the Montogmery family that much, and Steve and Nick's relationship was so depressing and angry it wasnt fun to watch. In hindsight since TPTB were so interested in shoving Nancy and Chris aside it would have made sense to put Bob and Kim in that role earlier...(especially since Don McClauginlin was starting to fail I believe even before he was taken off contract. ) I thought it would have been interesting and tied the family into things if Lyla and Nick were estranged/divorced so that instead of two new families it is one new family in town. Say Lyla came to town, but divorced from Nick, who would follow her, then Margo, and then leave off Cricket. Lyla and Nick could have both gone on to date Bob and Kim as the storyline went, but then when the [!@#$%^&*] hit the fan about John being Margo's dad, Bob and Kim move toward each other. I would have then had Lyla on recurring, and then push Nick into Lisa's arms after Grant dumps her once and for all. Lisa never had a blue collar guy and I think it would have been kind of interesting to have this over the top diva with a guy who could ground her. Fulton might have actually brought out a sense of humor in Nick.

I think Nick was ment to be long term and I think he was fairly popular (because of Hays who seemed to have chemistry with everyone.) His storyline just didnt work. They brought in Andrea as back from dead and that went no where, and then they just married Kim and he off. I think the Dobsons were actually thinking they were going to take Nancy and Chris place on the canvas but Nick was not going to be a new Chris.

I think that most likely both DH and KH would have complained about being the tent pole characters so soon, especially as the Dobson's didn't write tent poles very well. I also think that the Dobson's werent interested in ATWT history and didn't like that they would have to revisit it with Bob and Kim.

• Members

LOL..thank God I don't have any of those feelings, the only fruit I like is the one's available!

I also don't know about you Khan, but I have a feeling that Collier would STILL be off limits to 95 percent of us!

You know, there is only so much "romance," I want to see in the over 60, 70 and 80 crowd. Add that, that Fulton still played it like she was 30, tossing her head back in romantic exctasy with Gay Earl of all people. Anyway, I don't mind that the older characters became talk tos...all of Irna's older characters were just that. I think the problem is that they became ignored and unlike Marland's writing you never believe they had a life outside of that. Also, if they had Lisa keeping her own "voice," and giving out advice that would be totally different then what Kim and Bob would, that would be interesting. "Oh, Luke honey, gay or straight all men want the same thing, so give him just a little bit of that good stuff and then drag him around by his....nose!"

Edited by Mitch