Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think they definatley would have had to recast Davidson, and should have done it earlier. She reminds me a lot of Rachel Minor (Michelle Bauer) She was beloved, especially since the audience went through a major characters death with the actress playing the character. But she like Davidson, was not going to be cut out for a "romantic" lead. By the same token, the kids on GL at the time that everyone on boards said they loved needed to be recast, the kid who played Bil Lewis and the Ben kid actor (who, grew up in midwest Springfield but had that terrible New York accent...)

I have a feeling the Davidson/Rekell romance was made up for their boring and non-existent storyline.

• Members

I just wonder if Betsy ever needed to be a romantic heroine. I guess the show did need Meg Ryan's appeal, so a recast worked in the long run, but I really prefer Lindsey Frost, was more thoughtful, wasn't a romantic heroine at all, and reminded me more of Davidson. But I guess most fans preferred Ryan types.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Of course Betsy needed to be a romantic lead, she's a legacy child with a troubled, tangled childhood RIPE with issues. And I don't think you could have recast Davidson earlier, since a major part of the '70's dealt with her paternity secret.

• Members

For me a character can be a strong lead without having as much focus on their love life. I think it just makes you less of a character. Dee was the younger lead heroine on ATWT in the early 80s, but they never defined her beyond her love life, and the character paid the price.

• Members

But soap operas are about relationships. I don't think Annie or Dee was any more or less focused on their romances than say Kim or Barbara were. We just see Kim and Barbara in a more rounded way because they grew and evolved over time whereas Annie and Dee (in the scheme of things) were short term characters.

I think the writers tried to make Annie and Dee ATWT's version of Y&R's Laurie and Leslie Brooks---and it failed miserably, imo.