Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think she got good money (it must have started when she married and divorced the Eldridge guy) and then invested well. It's interesting that neither she nor Lucinda - to the best of my memory - ever had the "lol they lost their money" stories that wealthy people on ABC soaps or on AW got. Perhaps they knew ATWT viewers wouldn't enjoy that type of farce.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Well, Lucinda did lose her company. But yeah, she was never in danger of losing the Walsh estate---even if it did shrink horribly over the years.

I don't recall if she got any of Whit's money---but I don't doubt that even Bob had to pay some kind of alimony after their divorce. No matter what kind of wife you were back then, you got alimony.

• Members

Looking at those 1979 episodes it points out the problem ATWT was facing.Just about everybody was over 40. Tom was the only Hughes grandchild and he had already been married twice.Don and Penny had no children (apart from her adopted Asian daughter Amy)and I don't think the audience was ready to embrace an Asian lead heroine at that time.Chuck had been killed off. Maybe this was the time a new family should have been introduced to mix it up with the Hughes and Stewarts.Rick Ryan should also have returned.

• Members

Paul,

That is true that everyone was over 40..and of those over 40 it was kind of hard to distinguish them from each other. Ralph, Don, Grant...all stuffy uptight professional white guys. I can see why Bob lasted as long as he seemed more energetic and less stuffy then the rest (though I have to say, I thought Don was kind of hot in a stuffy middle aged DILF kind of way..maybe its the boxer nose he has...) Even Tom was leading into the stuffy guy routine (though I thought Tammi could have been kind of sexy..I guess I like the stuffy professional type.) I can see why the Dobson's tried to go against type by bringing in people they "thought," broke the mold but...Brad just didnt cut it as a young sexy lothario and Deas Tom was TOO much a break from the past(I never understood why they didnt just bring him in as another character to team up with John to drive the Stewarts and the Hughes nuts!)

Agree that there was no new generation of Hughes to take over at that time...thought I thought it would have been cool if they had brought in Chris' family from the farm, his great neices and nephes, would be interesting if they had a Carly Tenny type character have to move in with Nancy and Chris because of farm troubles. Seeing Nancy hover over the new Lisa would be interesting and bring a jolt in the staid citizens of Oakdale.

This Sheila...she seemed seemed like a sap that Marland would have liked, she was very Angle Lagnish....

• Members

Another 1979 clip. My favorite part is Kim snapping at agony aunt John, as Barbara looks on awkwardly.

Lisa not wanting to go but feeling like she can't admit her doubt is also a great scene. Her touching the globe (which is, essentially, ATWT) is a nice moment.

• Members

No..they used her as an excuse around 1984 or 85 for Fulton to go on one of her hiatus...Alma was sick in Florida and Lisa had to go visit her. They never mentioned her name but Tom talks to her about "grandma," and then when Fulton comes back he asks how "grandma," was. I can't believe I remember this stuff.

• Members

I love this clip. The longer scenes really give it a feel of reality. Werid seeing Melinda here..she seems really intergrated in the family and then the Dobson's kill her off and everyone is like,"Oh Barbara , hope this doesnt delay your wedding "(or any of the Dobson's craptastic storylines.) John and Kim are acting like...John and Kim..he is annoying her and she gives it back to him..one of the consistent things right up until the end. Zenk looks almost the same today...this Tom is growing on me and wow, Bennett was quite a let down..I thought he was going to look menacing and gothic and he is just..some guy.