DAYS: September Discussion Thread

• Members

Victor couldn't do it - even if it was to save her, Maggie couldn't forgive that. And it's just not in Carly's nature.

Brady is actually the best one to do it, and I think they have kept it true to his development. He can also be "redeemed" after all of this because in his core he's a good guy and people will understand that he snapped. The same understanding would never be given to a character with Victor's history.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I am enjoying Brady/Vivian but I do have some reservations, mainly because it has no depth.

Also, Brady has no history with Vivian.....there's no rivalry. When Vivian buried Carly alive in 1993, there was a rivalry, so "it meant more" than just someone being buried alive. It was high stakes. There's also no "love" factor this time. In 1993, Lawrence loved Carly, Bo loved Carly, Nikki loved Carly.

It doesn't make sense for Brady to bury Vivian alive - it would've made more sense if Victor, Kate, or Carly did it because there's history there. Brady's had little interaction with Vivian since she returned last year.

Also, for the villain to be tortured, it has to be from the hands of the hero/heroine who suffered because of the villain. There also has to be long battle....a rivalry. This is like....Jimmy Olsen defeating Lex Luthor. LOL

My choice would've been Carly....Carly gets her revenge.

I disagree here. The only people who were in Steve Wilder's league was Trevor Donovan and Marcus Patrick. Eric's doing a pretty good job in this storyline.

I had a problem with this too. Since there were two cameras that Brady was talking to, who was doing the "switching" from camera to camera? How was Vivian able to see both angles? Also, what is the purpose of having the cameras in Vivian's bed? I understand what Vivian was going for, but since she's in the sarcophagus, there's no point of those cameras being there. When Susan locked Kristen/Marlena in the secret room, the purpose of the monitors was to torture Marlena/Kristen when Susan/John had sex or interacted.

While Brady teasing Vivian is fun....it's all meaningless in the big picture. What is there to look forward to? What's the anticipation of the end game? What are we building up to? In 1993, it was the discovery and rescue.

Brady vs Vivian - there's just no oomph to it.

• Members

It wasn't in Brady's nature to do something like this either, but the writers gave him a (weak) motive and they made it happen. Why couldn't the same thing be done for Victor or Carly? They have so much more reason to want to get Vivian out of the picture than Brady f-ing Black. Having that snoozy ass character do something like this makes no sense to me. None whatsoever.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Brady's "development" or his "redemption." In fact, I don't give two sh!ts about Brady at all. The character could disappear tomorrow and I would be happy.

• Members

They've had scenes here and there but there is a hatred there. Brady mentioned some of the reasons today. She's always screwed around with his family and friends. Philip, Melanie, Victor, and now she targeted Maggie, who we've seen him close to. Not to mention, she moved his mother's remains. The guy was close to going over the edge and that did it. That is why he's done what he did. His mother was the one thing that was still sacred in his life. She was disturbed and moved to a pet cemetery of all places. Given his state, of course he snapped. He knows Vivian's history and felt it was time for payback.

What's the endgame? Who knows? It's a clear character arc for Brady and, possibly, Vivian depending on how they play it. That is what a good story does. It further develops characters. You don't always need to know the endgame of a story. That sometimes ruins it. This one is unpredictable and that is part of the appeal. They are taking you for a ride with no leaning toward where it's going. The original buried alive had no endgame either. What was it? Vivian hated Carly. So what? It's not like throughout the story you had any idea what it would lead to. That is what made it what it was. You had no idea if Carly would survive or not.

The show missed the boat on having Carly do it. It would make no sense for her to do it now. Back in February, maybe but even then I'm not sure if I like it because Carly was new to the bulk of the audience and you risk making too many people turn on her. Hell, alot of the audience already didn't care for her then so having her go that far may have turned even more people off. Victor doing it would lead to no consequences other than Maggie being angry with him. Having Brady do it gives the story more aftermath. He's a good guy who snapped. Where does he go from here? Who else will be brought into this? What happens to Vivian? Will she survive? What state will she be in? Will she change after this? How far will Brady go? There is so much that can come from this story.

Oh, and I'm sure there will be a point to the cameras down the road. We know why Vivian set them up but I'm sure they will come into play. Also, I believe the cameras probably shift on their own or maybe they just constantly shift automatically. Who knows. It's not like the first one didn't have it's snafus either.

• Members

Sick of seeing that flashback of Sami shooting EJ. It wasn't even that intense when it happened, IDK why DAYS keeps showing that, enough is enough! We know she shot EJ! Did love them showing that other flashback of Sami's plea for Sydney last Christmas!

Feel like I haven't seen Nicole in a long time, good to see her back. Loved her scenes with EJ. Lol @ Arianna busting in out of nowhere! Even though I can't stand Ari I do like how devoted she is to EJ. And was it just me or did the scenes at the docks with Nicole/Ari look different? Like, the show just looked better to me. The lighting seemed different. Cut to Sami/Rafe in the hospital and things went back to normal all around.

Loved Victor/Maggie, these two just light up the screen and SR is looking so beautiful these days.

Have to say I'm entertained by Brady/Vivian...loving Brady's transformation. He just keeps getting better and better. Loved when he was torturing Vivian about Maggie and Victor being downstairs together!

• Administrator

Yeah, because payback between two people who rarely interact and share any history is SO WORTH THE WAIT!! OMG! I can't WAIT until Brady paybacks Vivian for all the wrong she's done to him! It's been months, years, of build up for this moment!!!! :P;)

• Members

But this is ultimately why it does work.

1. Brady is one of the least likely, so it's a different avenue for this character AND TPTB have had him falling apart for weeks so it does track.

2. Vivian went after the two women who probably mean the most to him - his mother and Maggie (if he knew what she did to set up Chloe that would only add to his fury)

3. This is classic hero stuff - the hero doesn't go out to revenge, he goes out to AVENGE. Any of the other would have been revenge and it wouldn't be as clean cut.

4. And finally this isn't hero-directed torture, this is "taste of your own medicine". That's a very different concept. Brady didn't set this in motion, he's only following through with the torture intended for the most beloved citizen of Salem.

When this story is over, it will be over. God knows what will happen to Vivian, Maggie and Victor will have an even stronger emotional connection partly based in "what could have been" and Brady will get the help he needs to sober up and return from this dark side. C'est tout. If it had been Victor, Carly or Kate, too much history would have been pulled in and it wouldn't have been clean cut at all.

• Members

I agree accept I don't think it will be over. It will have consequences beyond the story.

It's very hard to explain since I read spoilers. Toups, if you knew what was coming, you may feel a bit differently and may have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. Just watch and see and then, maybe, we can revisit this. This is more about the characters then it is the act of burying Vivian alive.

• Administrator

All valid points. So why not plot this out from last year? Why not create some rivalry between Brady/Vivian (I don't know what though LOL), so when Brady does bury Vivian alive, we go: "Yes! Go Brady! I've been waiting for this for so long." - that should be our reaction when the hero "goes out to avenge."

All of this Brady/Vivian stuff happened in ONE WEEK!

This is buried alive - you go big or go home. This is a minimal impact storyline. I can't see this storyline being, "Dude! Are you watching this? You HAVE to watch this!"

Unless an actor is leaving, soaps not suppose to be clean cut. There has to be a continuation.

• Administrator

Tim, that's why I "shake off" your comments most of the time because we're not on the same "playing field" - you have an "advance opinion" while I'm just reacting to what is currently airing, without any knowledge of what's going to be happening.

Remos, I hope you don't read spoilers because I like reading your opinions, and I would be disappointed if you had an advance opinion too. I hope we're on the same playing field. LOL :)

• Members

So, wait a second, because one reads spoilers that means the opinion is less valid in your eyes? I find that a bit offensive. Sure, you can look at my opinions differently but I can't help but feel a little slighted by what you just said. Reading spoilers doesn't really impact my opinion since I usually don't even comment until something happens and I hardly ever mention spoilers. I sometimes will mention, like today, that how I feel is based on what may be coming but so what? You shouldn't have to "shake off" what I say. We can still I don't feel it hurts my viewing like it does others. I don't know. The way you said what you did makes it sound like your snubbing your nose and ignoring those who read spoilers, like it makes you better than everyone else if you don't. I'm sure you didn't mean all that but it came off that way to me the way you said to Remos what you did and, if I didn't know you on the boards for years, I may take even more offense.

Oh, and to your mention of "why not plot this out last year? Simple. Because Cordumb clearly gave Higley back the reigns. That is why January-July was a mess that became worse and worse. It's clear Tomlin/Whitesell are back in control like they were for most of 2009, which is why there was some many direction shifts recently (ending Arianna/Brady/Nicole suddenly with Brady turning dark, the rushed end to the EJ/Sami/Rafe stuff, etc). There is no way August/September is Dena. Maybe a little here and there but she can no way be firmly in control. Just look no further then the fact that she's not being interviewed anymore like she was in spring and has gone back into hiding. Corday is also not talking about her anymore like he was all spring. It's just like 2009 when you didn't hear a peep out of her. It was like she was hiding in a cave. Corday never acknowledged her either. Hopefully, it stays that way and the show keeps at it the way August/September has been

• Administrator

Sorry if I offended you. Like you said, we've known each other for years and I didn't mean to. What I meant by "shrugging off" your comments is that sometimes I feel like your rebuttals are based in what WILL happen - like when you said "It's very hard to explain since I read spoilers.....if you knew what was coming, you may feel a bit differently and may have a better understanding of where I'm coming from." You have a better understanding of how the story will shape up, what direction it's heading, therefore, we're not on the same playing field because you're ahead of me. I hope that clears it up. If not, feel free to PM me because I feel bad if I offended you.

So Higley's not talking to the mags anymore? I guess that's a good sign. I hope you're right that she's in cave now. LOL 2010 has been a bust so far, so I hope the rest of 2010 will be good. I do think the has been improving, slowly.

Archived