Eric Roberts Joins Y&R

• Members

I'm not sure why it makes no sense. Anyone in need of money will take a job if it is offered. I don't believe that Eric Roberts was offered scale, but even if he was working on Y&R for a month to two would earn him enough tide him over until his next gig comes along. A lot of actors are struggling right now. People have mortgages to pay and need living expenses. Most actors are not sitting on tons of cash so they can afford to be choosy about the roles that they take any more.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No one said he was going to take screentime from another character, you need to read the rest of the thread. We're just questioning how he was cast, why he would want to play such a minimum role, if he's in money trouble, and why did they cast an actor with some "name recognition" in such a small role when they probably could have gotten an unknown for a lot cheaper.

• Members

First of all, given that MK sued Rauch for sexual harassment (and in fact, was given the role of GL's Vanessa as compensation for leaving ANOTHER WORLD), I doubt she'd return the man's phone calls, either. Second, no one of her caliber should have to work on this crapfest of a show.

• Members

I did, and I saw this:

When unknown actors are cast in small parts no one cares. But everytime an actor with "name recognition" is you people act like it's weird. You know some actors just like to work, they don't care if it's movies, primetime, daytime or whatever.

No wonder daytime soaps are in trouble when even the fans think so low of the genre.

• Members

I don't think those comments had anything to do with stealing airtime, just that people who were unimpressed with what they perceive as stunt casting. Even though, I don't know if I personally consider Eric Roberts a big enough name to be "stunt casting."

Because people with "name recognition" don't usually work for scale, and all of these soaps have been crying about their budgets for years and blaming budgetary matters as to why they can't do certain things anymore. If they can get an unknown for half the price, why not go with it and save money?

And plus, it's not often we get to see anyone with any type of "name recognition" on daytime anymore, so it's something that's going to spake debate regardless.

And can you blame the fans with what daytime has been turning out for the past 15 years?

But then again, I don't equate people with some "name recognition" doing soaps and people dissecting it or not being happy with it as soap fans having a low opinion of the genre. If the show was solid and didn't always rely on hype or shock tactics, I doubt anyone would care.

It's the press, in this case EW, building this as something big, as if daytime fans should be impressed that Eric Roberts agreed to do a small stint on the show.

• Members

I think this is more of someone holding MAB's a*** to the fire if she doesn't get these ratings/viewership #s up. The show is becoming embarassing because its DESPERATION is now completely obvious. She'd better get them up and keep them up. I can smell the desperation, it reeks. She is going to need a lot more "stunt casting". Tom Cruise anyone LOL!!

• Members

Eric Roberts' career is only slightly more viable than Sean Young's. This is just embarrassing. It's become Gallery Of The Washed-Up Direct-To-Video Stars. Who's next? Jan-Michael Vincent? Is he still alive?

Archived