• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

An embarrassment for the Daytime Emmys - 1986 Bill Bell was given the award for Best Writing for Writing for Y&R! The very next morning he got a call from  them - the award going to GL instead!

• Members

I think because of WSPR/The Journal because apparently there was such a dearth of news in Springfield that they were covering the royal intrigue of SC. :Shrug:

I still can't get over the cheap water slide they built for Beth's "death" in Mexico a few months later. Hilarious. She was even more danger-prone in 2001 than she normally is. 

• Members

Lorelai was Lucky Gold's, right? I just did not care for it. And, I really like Beth C. I really do, but surely at times they needed to come up with something better for her to do! Do I recall correctly that ex-AW's "Ryan" Paul Michael Valley had a part in Lorelai? Maybe a bartender? Such a talented guy. Came out of Juillard. Wasted by being killed off by JFP at AW. I don't know if he still is or not but he used to be the Creative Director of Mockingbird Theatre in Middle Tennessee. PMV's girlfriend Christine Tucci (Amanda Cory #2) was also fired by JFP & on JFP's very first day at AW to boot. I can't remember who else but JFP did a mini-massacre on her first day! Really appalling.

• Members

I loved that slide...almost as much as the Toliet Bowl of Doom that made a cameo appearance in the above video..(I would love to tie MADD to a chair and make her watch that video.."Yes, you are responsible for all of this..does it make you proud!?!?!" ) I can't believe that anyone as concerned of her "star status" as Kimmer wouldnt have raised a fuss before filming how stupid it  was going to look...(though I could watch Reva get dunked in that tank over and over...)

I think Lorelai could have been good to explain the drastic change in Beth's character since her return from Arizona. ...actually I would have gone back to her original "death" with Dr. Blackburn attempting to rape her and her killing him..her whole amensia things was actually a "split" and her "bitch" mode was another split to cover up Beth's insecurities about loosing Phillip and Loreli was just another.  But they didn' t  do a damn thing with it and it made no sense.

• Members

In 1994 Justin Deas won for Outstanding Supporting Actor, while many people thought he should have been up for Lead. However, Deas had a philosophy that all actors on soaps are essentially supporting each other. As Buzz Cooper he had been GL's center. Plots that didn't involve his return from the dead managed to include him. And, then, add into that, his leading lady, Fiona Hutschison (Jenna Bradshaw) had been nominated for Lead. The next year Deas won for Lead.

• Members

I never liked Justin Deas on GL. PErhaps, I blame his salary for Ellen Parker's firing, but it's really because I thought the character was not needed. He came on with a ridiculous accent and took over the show. I never cared about him, and I would have fired him right away if I had been a EP. Didn't care for Buzz/Jenna (thought she could have done much better) or any pairing he had.

• Members

That was a very technical love scene, lol.  Deas and Zimmer are two highly regarded soap veterans so they were very professional and pulled it off in convincing fashion and it had some very real echoes of good ole fashioned soap scenes from the 80s but the choreography of the scene itself was very technical in execution.  It was interesting to watch, it looked like the characters had fun and was a definite reminder of how much Reva Shayne loved sex but I didn't really get a lot of heat/passion/intensity in that scene.

I was absent during this era of GL so it's still a bit of a jolt to see that these two characters were romantically paired at all. I guess it was inevitable though.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Wee-ell, let's see here, during 2004, in the Usenet newsgroup RATSc , a whole slew of peeps discussing GL, Conboy, Weston, Rachel Miner, Bryan Buffington, MADD and JFP. Maybe more. Sorry it's so long. I was just glad to find it archived.

Edited by Donna B
Cut extraneous space.

• Members

I loved that pic of everyone at GL! I used it for my Windows 10 desktop for a long time. I agree about "cancelversary" being announced on April Fool's Day. That was hard to take. I heard that it was the last day they could announce & head +honchos were up late the night before literally deciding! Still & all it was hard to forgive them for the April Fool's Day connection. If you ask me they should have announced the day before!

Edited by Donna B
CUT

• Members

JFP was frankly infamous for her Day One firings.

Seems like someone was surmising that PAS had a special friend who was also in GL. I don't think so. We would run into him, as pedestrian traffic, in Brooklyn, and I think his friend was uber-blonde, very good looking and tended to be in Broadway or off-Broadway shows. Of course, that's what PAS has done a lot of too since GL went off the air.