Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

22 minutes ago, Khan said:

Long quit, because she had encountered overwhelming resistance from P&G or CBS on several proposed storylines.

Do you know what stories/what resistance? Was Gail Kobe Pam's EP still? And, was RCulliton writing on Pam's Team? I've read that she loved Reva Shayne just as much as we all would imagine. I've also read that she really wanted to teach Bradley a lesson.

Pam was headwriter for three years and then left to have a child.

"Bradley Raines was Pam's favorite character creation," Jay said, recalling Pam's three years with the show. "He exemplified evil and he forced good people to react in various ways. He was a great catalyst for drama. There was a dark side to him. "But, the character Pam created that (the actress Pam) would most like to play is Reva! Pam loves her warmth, her impulsiveness, that she was free-spirited, that she came from humble roots and her humanity. They're drawn to her humanity. It makes her special." 

This quote is from Christopher Schemering's GL 50th Anniversary book & Pam's husband.

3 hours ago, Khan said:

Calhoun quit/retired

I've always wondered if Robert Calhoun left by his own choice and now I know. Thanks Khan :)

As much as we'd like all our favorites to stay on forever, they just have to retire at times. Nancy Curlee Demorest, Nancy Williams Watt, etc. and these are folks who can't be tempted back out of retirement!

16 minutes ago, VanessaReardon said:

DonnaB, will you retire? One can only hope!

Well, sometime you get what you wish for because as the case may be I am retired. I am both retired and disabled.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:38 AM, Donna B said:

JFP was frankly infamous for her Day One firings.

Seems like someone was surmising that PAS had a special friend who was also in GL. I don't think so. We would run into him, as pedestrian traffic, in Brooklyn, and I think his friend was uber-blonde, very good looking and tended to be in Broadway or off-Broadway shows. Of course, that's what PAS has done a lot of too since GL went off the air.

Ever heard this about Miner & Buffington?

Rachel was fired in early 1995, by Jill Farren Phelps.

Bryan was fired in fall 1997, by Rauch and MADD, to 'hunkify' him (and turn him
into an Aryan in training, apparently).

8 hours ago, VanessaReardon said:

DonnaB, will you retire? One can only hope!

So, Vanessa, did my reply make you happy?

On 10/1/2019 at 12:56 PM, Donna B said:

If you had to put person or persons on recurring at a certain point, who would you do?

1. Frank DiCopoulous (Frank Cooper)
  2. Bradley Cole (Jeffrey O'Neill)
  3. David Andrew MacDonald (Edmund Winslow)
  4. Justin Deas (Buzz Cooper)

In order of preference, I would put Frank, Bradley and David on recurring.

If you had to do away with one element of story-telling at GL, would it be

1. the Santos mob family
  2. San Cristobel Island & the royalty that went with it
  3. Roger's son, Sebastian

I would do away with all 3!

I'm surprised no one wanted to have a go at these 2 "what ifs".

8 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Rachel Miner was fired by Michael Laibson and he was also responsible for recasting with Rebecca Budig.

Thank  you.

I was SUCH a huge fan of Miner & Buffington.

Yesterday I was listening to Roberta Flack singing "Hold on to Love" - I was trying to remember - did they ever have her on the show, or did they ever use her vocal version during the opening credits?  I only see the regular version - and I remember I think them using Hamp's sax version once or twice?

Roberta did appear on GL, but it wasn't to sing 'Hold On To Love' - she sang 'The First Time Ever I Saw You Face' at Hamp and Gilly's wedding in 1992. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

15 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Roberta did appear on GL, but it wasn't to sing 'Hold On To Love' - she sang 'The First Time Ever I Saw You Face' at Hamp and Gilly's wedding in 1992. 

April 30, 92 Gilly Grant and Hampton Speakes get married.

Image & Quote

image.png

Yes. We mentioned it on Page 64 of this very thread, in fact.

I suspect Vanessa wouldn't have been inspired to post what she had had you not posted nearly 650 times in the past 20 days. I think we all appreciate your passion but maybe try to cool it a bit. We would like to also read others' perspectives as well.