Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Looking back at the RATSc archives, Jan. 18th, 2006, ...

fans were reacting to the special Wednesday shows. Came down on both sides of the coin, "unwatchable" or loved them! Someone hated Josh & Reva's. Someone else hated Harley's but liked Josh & Reva's. Yet one more person really liked Dinah's. Another fan is for them because of the concept. Personally, I remember liking them & thinking they were one of Wheeler's better ideas. One fan has dubbed Gina Tognoni his favorite Dinah of all!

I came to have that opinion of Tognoni, too.

One fan: best part was Dinah's voice-over that she's going to concentrate on her high powered career and they showed her spinning around in her office chair. Loved that!

But, another:  I've already set my DVR to skip next Wednesday.  WTH do I care about an hour

of Cassie and Jeffrey?  Ick.

Oh, yeah, I disliked Jeffrey O'Neill quite enough for that!

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Isolate a single character & tell a story which sheds light on their journey, etc. That's why some of them were so successful & others were not. Plus, the actors loved them. The writers loved them.

What did you think of them? In general, I really enjoyed them. I would like to watch them again!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are stories from here to back again about people having problems getting along with their work colleagues. DOOL's Kristian Alfonso & Peter Reckell; DOOL's Crystall Chappell & Robert Kelker-Kelly; Y&R's Eric Braeden & Peter Bergman and so forth. One of the more egregious coming out of GL back in the day was Beth Raines, Krista Tesrau, Grant Aleksander and Mikey. As the story goes Beth grew up strictly West Coast, really with her family which was the circus. She worked as a clown from her youngest days. She found herself on the upper East Coast & it was cold & there was snow, which was her first experience with, and this new job to boot & she was terribly homesick & cried a lot, a while lot! Well, all that did was tune her up to be teased by the boys! They were unmerciful in how they went at her.

Then, there was a second phase to it: she was the total newcomer who won a Daytime Emmy when none of them had done so yet.

Edited by Donna B
Draw a line.

• Members

The actors loved them because they were basically full length Emmy reels. Some of them were decent but they wrecked absolute havoc on the show's pacing because they burned through so much story at once. Reva's cancer story suffered because all the good parts ended after a week. 

• Members

Oh, yeah, true.

Personally, I have long thought that GL was operating at a fast pace during those years, anyway. Weekly, there was one Wednesday special epi. When they went out into the field to build houses, I loved that, but it chewed up time. Although those were webisodes weren't they? Otalia was racing along except for Jess's pregnancy leave. Jammy was racing along. Etc.

Edited by Donna B
Spacing.

• Members

If you had to put person or persons on recurring at a certain point, who would you do?

1. Frank DiCopoulous (Frank Cooper)
  2. Bradley Cole (Jeffrey O'Neill)
  3. David Andrew MacDonald (Edmund Winslow)
  4. Justin Deas (Buzz Cooper)

In order of preference, I would put Frank, Bradley and David on recurring.

If you had to do away with one element of story-telling at GL, would it be

1. the Santos mob family
  2. San Cristobel Island & the royalty that went with it
  3. Roger's son, Sebastian

I would do away with all 3!

Edited by Donna B
Incorporate info.

• Members

Oh, yeah, very good point.

Okay, I said up front one post was too long & had too much spoiler space in it, so you're right about that one. Other posts were short & just were talk about content. Just a minute ago I used a link & it will be hard to follow because the original convo had so much about story & HWs, etc. with spoiler space & arguments about whether rumors needed spoiler space. Thanks for your comments. I'm trying.

• Members

On Facebook, I blog soap operas. I have in excess of 235 topics on my blog index. Most of it comes from studying texts. Most of it does not come from copy/paste. More of it is short than is long. More of it is not word for word. My posting at Facebook is different than my posting here. The groups I post in on Facebook are my own Profile Page & Wall; "I Miss Another World; "Talking TV" and "Anne Heche".