Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

Did Bruce Barry leave on his own or was he a budget cut victim? I seem to recall a long time director and/or producer getting the ax during first massive budget cut that CBS/PGP imposed on Wheeler’s reign.

25 minutes ago, EllenP said:

Did Bruce Barry leave on his own or was he a budget cut victim? I seem to recall a long time director and/or producer getting the ax during first massive budget cut that CBS/PGP imposed on Wheeler’s reign.

Well, August 2004 might be early for that. Seems like they began to impose budget cuts in 2005.

1 hour ago, EllenP said:

That was Robert Kochman, who was the show's senior producer since 1992. He was fired, I believe, just a couple weeks into the Wheeler regime in 2004. I believe he tried to send the cast a farewell letter and PGP/Wheeler confiscated them or something. 

Edited by Dan

12 hours ago, Dan said:

I thought that it was Beth hanging from the rope in the castle tower or am I mixing up my stories? I believe that was the end of the Beth/Edmund-- I dont even want to call it romance frankly--relationship. What was up with the show pairing Beth with abusive men? 

According to Toups' wonderful archive in the SON files, Barry's last episode was August 16th, 2004.

Nah. That was John Conboy blowing most of the show's budget on stupid[!@#$%^&*] like a full baseball field for his boy toy Marty West. 

You are right, it was Beth. I was just on such a Cassie rant that I was typing her name everywhere!

God, I remember that. Everybody knew it was for his toy boy too, so really P&G should take its share of the blame for green-lighting a clearly ridiculous waste of money.

I also remember how blindingly, brightly lit the show was under Conboy.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

You are right, it was Beth. I was just on such a Cassie rant that I was typing her name everywhere!

God, I remember that. Everybody knew it was for his toy boy too, so really P&G should take its share of the blame for green-lighting a clearly ridiculous waste of money.

Oh, yes, we are into Conboy now. And, said boy toy, Marty West, sold videos of himself as a wrestler out of his car! Plus, he had such a baby face & was so pudgy. Remember when he was putting the moves on someone & his standard issue gray sweatpants dropped almost to his knees? I shudder just to think of ConWest & Marty Boy, both!

13 hours ago, Dan said:

That was Robert Kochman, who was the show's senior producer since 1992. He was fired, I believe, just a couple weeks into the Wheeler regime in 2004. I believe he tried to send the cast a farewell letter and PGP/Wheeler confiscated them or something. 

How tacky!

7 hours ago, Cat said:

No wasn't it Cassie. Eddie had her locked up in the castle and she, dumb as she is, tried to climb out. They had Beth doing her Evita phase and being a bitch and having Crasshole arrested...or was it???  It was so stupid I didnt pay attention, especially since there were no repercussions, Cassie ends up screwing Eddie and everyone things Beth is a saint.

10 minutes ago, Mitch said:

No wasn't it Cassie. Eddie had her locked up in the castle and she, dumb as she is, tried to climb out. They had Beth doing her Evita phase and being a bitch and having Crasshole arrested...or was it???  It was so stupid I didnt pay attention, especially since there were no repercussions, Cassie ends up screwing Eddie and everyone things Beth is a saint.

This YT vid may have the answer!

Prepare to relive the brightly-lit vortex of suck.

@3.56. I still cannot tell who it is:

Edited by Cat

That was Beth, I think. I think this was around the time Philip went to save her...

Edited by DRW50

It looked like Beth, but since the previous scene had Cassie in a prison tower, I started second-guessing myself like 'Wait, was that Cassie?'

I am really procrastinating today if SC is is what I'm musing about!

29 minutes ago, Cat said:

It looked like Beth, but since the previous scene had Cassie in a prison tower, I started second-guessing myself like 'Wait, was that Cassie?'

I am really procrastinating today if SC is is what I'm musing about!

I'd forgotten they even wore camo and the show played military music. Tour of Duty weeps! 

1 hour ago, Cat said:

Brightly lit vortex of suck!!! BWHAHAAHAH..

That looks like a parody of a soap opera, not a real one and not my GL..why in God's name was Holly involved in any of this crap???

Poor DAM, in addition to just being sex on a stick he was a good actor who could have played the hell out of dark character, without the trappings of the worst Island Kingdom in fiction.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

The brightly lit vortex of suck! Bwa HA ha.