Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I really liked the Lorelei stuff, but you're right: it needed better dialogue to help make the subtext of Beth's psychological split into text. But then again, I also thought the Beth/Alan relationship was really interesting, in a creepy way. I could totally buy that, due to Beth's early trauma, she would turn to powerful men who would make her feel safe (even men as vile as Alan). 

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually think its interesting that its all the women who were involved in this iconic storyline...they should have MG there but I know she was on the other, but the Holly/Chelle relationship, which disappeared when they recast Chelle was really interesting and I think ground breaking in its own right, you have these two wounded people, one who really was a terrible mother, and another who just lost Mother of the Year, and an adult who deals with this kid where she was, without pulling any punches or trying to baby here.

Aghh.you lost me on the Alan/Beth stuff...I know what you mean and seen the validity of it but..yuckk! I would have liked, if she did have a split, and not a dumb ho like Loreli...that they proceeded with the storyline as it was done at first...AlterBeth marries Alan to get his power and to keep him in the nuthouse...Alan marries Beth to smoke Phillip out but does not realize what he has got himself into until he is trapped. Then both of them play a game against each other, with Alex playing them both....(I just cant deal with Gus being Alans kid and the whole Harley is president of a Multinaitonal Corporation....)

• Members

They kind of touched on the Michelle/holly relationship again when Budig played Michelle in 1998.  They had some scenes where Michelle was confiding in Holly about Drew's interest in Jesse..plus Michelle's reluctance to help Holly with Ken due to him.shooting Ed many years before.

And when Joie Lenz played Michelle..she went to see Holly at Christmas 1998..and was woried about Holly's mental state.  Shame because Holly could have been on Michelle's side against Carman 

• Members

He said it in a nice way, but Rick Hearst basically said in the SOD podcast that he knew it was time to leave when McTavish and Laibson came on, lol. His stories about Beverlee McKinsey and Michael Zaslow were also great to hear. 

He said he came in at the very end of Pam Long's run, and name-checked Nancy Curlee, Stephen Demorest, Patrick Mulchaey, and Micahel Conforti, and Courtney Simon. He said that GL had a great group of writers at this time that were very in-tuned with the strengths of the cast. Also, he basically said they knew it wasn't going to be the same when Nancy and Stephen left. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

@DramatistDreamer  Robert Newman did a few months on GH before moving on to a month and a half on SB.Santa Barbara:  4/22/86-5/30/86 per the SB site.

ROBERT NEWMAN     

THE GUIDING LIGHT             Joshua   Lewis          1981-84; 1986-91; 1993-2009

GENERAL HOSPITAL            Prescott Harrell           1985

SANTA BARBARA                  Kirk Cranston Lee        1986

GUIDING LIGHT   Anniversary Special                Reverend John Ruthledge/Arthur Peterson    2007 

VENICE THE SERIES          Richard         2013-16; 2019

Edited by slick jones

• Members

I am watching Bryan Buffington's interview now, and I will most certainly catch Ellen Parker, et al ASAP.  I will not criticize anyone who is doing this for free, and I am grateful, but I do have a dumb question: What is the rationale for streaming these live?  It is sometimes nice to hear "so and so is watching and just tweeted that they miss you"—depending on who "so and so" is—but it doesn't seem like they're taking that many questions from the audience in real time.  I haven't been able to watch any of them live, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much other than having to wait.

Is there a legal reason, something to do with the video component, because all of the interviewers appear to be archiving recordings of the full interviews for posterity?  I remember Brandon of Brandon's Buzz never posted (audio) interviews live on his podcast—I assume so that he could edit—and in hindsight those seemed much smoother without technical interruptions when he finally dropped those.  (I do hope Brandon is okay, BTW—I've checked his site repeatedly during this time hoping he would post some soap content.)

With these Zoom reunions, even if someone isn't a professional video editor it seems like they could just start recording when everyone is truly connected and take a pause in the conversation when someone is having technical issues (or cut them out of the conversation and focus on the remaining guests) and get a tight hour or however long these beloved people are willing to offer.  Fans could submit questions beforehand, etc.