• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My latest 1979 musings:

- I knew Anna Maria Horsford was on the show in the late 70s, but didn’t realized she played a prisoner. Not really sure why I’m surprised by that. What makes it worse is that Clara is such a slave-like character! She comes in, listens to Holly’s stressing, swoons over Massah Chapman and Miss Holly’s romance, then vanishes off to her work in the prison. AMH has been a favorite of mine for years and years, and I just hoped that her first foray into soaps would have been better.

- I’m so damn tired of everyone calling her “Evie.” It’s just Eve, damn it. Rita and Viola should be the only ones calling her Evie.

- Speaking of Rita, I didn’t know that she’d eventually decide against having an abortion. I was really loving the idea of her standing firm in her decision and being annoyed and plagued by everyone around her telling her what she needed to do. I guess they were going for a warm Thanksgiving “miracle.”

- I know people have different opinions of Mart Hulswit as Ed, but I’m loving his super emotional, highly dramatic version. I have next to know history at all with Peter Simon’s Ed, so I’m not sure how the character changes, but MH’s yelling and weeping Ed seems to be in line with any clips I’ve seen of Robert Gentry’s 1966-1969 portrayal. It’s a nice contrast to cool and calm Mike, and honestly both of them are believable as sons who were raised in Bill and Bert’s dysfunctional home.

- It’s interesting how much more time and energy is spent on exploring the Bauer men’s antagonists, Roger and Alan, rather than on Ed and Mike themselves. 

- The time has come for anything, video or audio, from Roger’s early years on the show to surface.

- Katie is one of the sweetest and most kind-hearted soap characters I’ve ever seen. Everything about her is just so pure and clean without her being written as the perfect, delicate flower that needs protection at all costs. I love her and the puppets!

- Did ATWT and GL share music cues when Mi-Voix took over scoring the shows? There’s a distinct cue that plays from time-to-time that sounds identical to one heard at the very end of a 1975 ATWT episode that used to be online.

- Speaking of music, I think I’ve identified a character theme for Elizabeth. I guess I didn’t expect that to still be a thing at this time, besides for characters who had been on for 10+ years by this point.

- Were Jackie and Elizabeth always on good terms who was there ever heavy tension between the two? They’re good in 1977, and they’ve been good through 1979, but in between, there had to have been some drama, right?

- I really dislike Viola. She’s pushy and kinda passive-aggressive, and she doesn’t really seem to care about Rita’s well-being at all.

- Was Ann Jeffers ever more than just Mike’s assistant?

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Yeah, I kind of missed a chunk of Guiding Light in the mid-late 90s and when I saw Rachel Miner in other things, I guess I too assumed she left to do other things.  Tells you how much we know, huh?

She said that it was said that she was seen as too young for all the sexuality-based stories they wanted Michelle to be in, so they replaced her and didn't bother to tell her first.

I really do believe that how a company treats their staff/employees will impact the fate of that business. Is it any wonder GL ended up the way it did in the decade that followed?

• Members

Interesting. Yeah, I just assumed because she was so talented and had other work she jumped ship like most younger actors do. Agreed, tells you how much we know lol. But after hearing about certain actresses being blacklisted and for years wondering why they disappeared ... I guess we should never assume anymore, lol.

I can see that they thought she was too young but sit her down and tell her! lol I've never understood why soaps can't sit the actors down and let them go? DAYS does this [!@#$%^&*] STILL today. It's horrible and a sign of horrible leadership. Agreed that it's probably why they collapsed.

And why certain shows struggle and remain on life support after destructive EPs and HW's get done with them.

• Members

I agree Maeve and Tina Sloan have not aged. Was going to post that but didn't. 

Anyone see the next AW reunion scheduled? Why does Kale Browne have to be there? Such great women ... I know it's likely because of Anna Stuart being involved but ... ugh, lol. Sorry. Anyway ...

• Members

Sloan roasting the Maureen letter is a hoot. I'd forgotten it was apparently her idea to have the scene of Lillian at Maureen's grave at the end of the series, which I appreciated and which made me like the character again. I don't know if she wrote it.