Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was laughing about that. At a certain point, I think Ellen got a little peeved, but it was all love. 

Rachel Miner is incredibly well-spoken. Glad to see her doing ok. It’s a shame that they didn’t allow her to grow up in the role as Kimberly McCullough did on GH. But given what happened to Michelle and GL overall, she dodged a bullet. Can you imagine Miner’s Michelle with Danny?

• Members

This is what killed the soaps and created those weird couple fans like the Jevas, Mattessa's and Manny and why the storylines grew stagnant. Can you imagine back in the day a poll on getting Bert Bauer in a hot romance...(they were going to pair her with H.B. which would have been cool as hell but...) No character could be an individual..I would say Reva, pre death was her own character no matter what romance she was in,, but that wasnt the case post resurrection and ruined her character.

I didn't have the attachment to Miner and BB others did, but I can see that at that time in the shows history, it was important to keep them..at least until both of them wanted to move on. Especially since the Chelle story could have been handled by another character, like one of Bridget's sisters, named Maureen too comes to town and gets involved with Jesse while Chele and Bill were looking for the recipient of Mo's heart..Chele developes a little sister relationship with Jesse and supports him and her cousin and Ed doesnt like it,etc. Especially with Nola in town to try to take over mothering Chele..and encouraging her to be a free spirit..

Edited by Mitch

• Members

It would have been great to include Maureen Garrett on this one too as Holly was the other character that had an interesting dynamic with the Maureen character. But then, Tina would have been more confused on who she should be calling 'Maureen.' Also, Alan has no idea how to control a larger panel discussion, so probably for the better...

But overall, this was one of the better chats as the women really lead the discussion more so than Alan. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

That was a high-caliber Supporting Actress category that year, but really, Parker gave the performance of her career and her reel was a notch above everyone else. Kimberlin Brown may have had the most 'popular' story of the actresses in that category that year, but was really no match for what Parker managed to deliver. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Maeve Kinkead about Wendy Moniz as Dinah: "Wendy was extraordinary in that role." 

And that's a big SUCK IT to all those rabid Mattessa fans from back in the day who insisted they knew Maeve's inner most feelings and believed Maeve hated Wendy because of the way Dinah resented her mother abandoning her. 

Sigh. 22 years later and that feels good. LOL 

• Members

Ellen Parker's was just in another league. It's probably one of the best reels I've watched in any category. If they had put Parker in lead, I think she would have beaten Dano. I really do think killing off Maureen signalled the end of soaps because it showed that producers were willing to do shocking/idiotic things to attract ratings. They ignored the fact that soaps need loyalty and when you do things that are a big f.u. to viewers, they're not going to stick around. Having listened to that sycophantic interview with JFP,  it's obvious the woman still does not get it. 

In some ways, I think Tina Sloan never got over Ellen PArker's firing. She just seemed so emotional and upset by the whole thing.

• Members

Everyone was thinking it was cute how Tina was calling Ellen 'Maureen '..etc...but I found it very concerning tbh.

To me, it was like Tina almost believed she was Lillian and that Ellen was Maureen.  The letter story wasn't cute, but sad...and I'm sure Ellen saying 'write the letter' was more about being annoyed than anything.

• Members

I agree..maybe because Simon never could express any emotion besides that pursed lip thing..I really do think they did indeed need to recast Ed when Simon left, as it would almost be a start over for the character..why did they never bring the Ed before him back?

Parker's acceptance was gracious and a kind of FU to JFP, talking about the people writing in for Maureen, that's a hard line to walk. I wonder why no soap ever hired her for something?

• Members

Ellen Parker?  She has had (and continues to have) a pretty active theater career. I don't know whether she wanted to do soaps again.

These soaps never do the smart thing anyway.

Michelle should've been Miner's role for as long as she wanted to stay in the role.  Someone else said that Michelle should've been allowed to age naturally, a la Kimberly McCollough on GH. And like McCollough, I think Miner should've been given a chance by either GL or CBS to learn the ropes behind the scenes. Courtney Simon was in front and behind the cameras at times and was pretty successful at it (but wisely took a minor onscreen role when she did both). I think Miner would've been great at directing.