Jump to content

Guiding Light discussion thread


Paul Raven

Recommended Posts

  • Members

It would have been great to include Maureen Garrett on this one too as Holly was the other character that had an interesting dynamic with the Maureen character. But then, Tina would have been more confused on who she should be calling 'Maureen.' Also, Alan has no idea how to control a larger panel discussion, so probably for the better...

 

But overall, this was one of the better chats as the women really lead the discussion more so than Alan. 

Edited by BetterForgotten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
8 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

It would have been great to include Maureen Garrett on this one too as Holly was the other character that had an interesting dynamic with the Maureen character. But then, Tina would have been more confused on who she should be calling 'Maureen.' 

You're just mean....lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

That was a high-caliber Supporting Actress category that year, but really, Parker gave the performance of her career and her reel was a notch above everyone else. Kimberlin Brown may have had the most 'popular' story of the actresses in that category that year, but was really no match for what Parker managed to deliver. 

Edited by BetterForgotten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Maeve Kinkead about Wendy Moniz as Dinah: "Wendy was extraordinary in that role." 

 

And that's a big SUCK IT to all those rabid Mattessa fans from back in the day who insisted they knew Maeve's inner most feelings and believed Maeve hated Wendy because of the way Dinah resented her mother abandoning her. 

 

Sigh. 22 years later and that feels good. LOL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
49 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

That was high-caliber Supporting Actress category that year, but really, Parker gave the performance of her career and her reel was a notch above everyone else. Kimberlin Brown may have had the most 'popular' story of the actresses in that category that year, but was really no match for what Parker managed to deliver. 

Ellen Parker's was just in another league. It's probably one of the best reels I've watched in any category. If they had put Parker in lead, I think she would have beaten Dano. I really do think killing off Maureen signalled the end of soaps because it showed that producers were willing to do shocking/idiotic things to attract ratings. They ignored the fact that soaps need loyalty and when you do things that are a big f.u. to viewers, they're not going to stick around. Having listened to that sycophantic interview with JFP,  it's obvious the woman still does not get it. 

 

In some ways, I think Tina Sloan never got over Ellen PArker's firing. She just seemed so emotional and upset by the whole thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 minutes ago, chrisml said:

Ellen Parker's was just in another league. It's probably one of the best reels I've watched in any category. If they had put Parker in lead, I think she would have beaten Dano. I really do think killing off Maureen signalled the end of soaps because it showed that producers were willing to do shocking/idiotic things to attract ratings. They ignored the fact that soaps need loyalty and when you do things that are a big f.u. to viewers, they're not going to stick around. Having listened to that sycophantic interview with JFP,  it's obvious the woman still does not get it. 

 

In some ways, I think Tina Sloan never got over Ellen PArker's firing. She just seemed so emotional and upset by the whole thing.

 

Everyone was thinking it was cute how Tina was calling Ellen 'Maureen '..etc...but I found it very concerning tbh.

 

To me, it was like Tina almost believed she was Lillian and that Ellen was Maureen.  The letter story wasn't cute, but sad...and I'm sure Ellen saying 'write the letter' was more about being annoyed than anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

I think Tina never got over the backlash Lillian received from fans after Maureen’s death. She’s been talking about it for years. Hence why she also always brings up that people seemed more forgiving of Ed than Lillian.

It's funny because when I go back and look at both confrontations...I feel little sympathy for Ed and do feel sympathy for Lillian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
30 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

It's funny because when I go back and look at both confrontations...I feel little sympathy for Ed and do feel sympathy for Lillian.

I agree..maybe because Simon never could express any emotion besides that pursed lip thing..I really do think they did indeed need to recast Ed when Simon left, as it would almost be a start over for the character..why did they never bring the Ed before him back?

 

Parker's acceptance was gracious and a kind of FU to JFP, talking about the people writing in for Maureen, that's a hard line to walk. I wonder why no soap ever hired her for something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
37 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I agree..maybe because Simon never could express any emotion besides that pursed lip thing..I really do think they did indeed need to recast Ed when Simon left, as it would almost be a start over for the character..why did they never bring the Ed before him back?

 

Parker's acceptance was gracious and a kind of FU to JFP, talking about the people writing in for Maureen, that's a hard line to walk. I wonder why no soap ever hired her for something?

 

Ellen Parker?  She has had (and continues to have) a pretty active theater career. I don't know whether she wanted to do soaps again.

These soaps never do the smart thing anyway.

Michelle should've been Miner's role for as long as she wanted to stay in the role.  Someone else said that Michelle should've been allowed to age naturally, a la Kimberly McCollough on GH. And like McCollough, I think Miner should've been given a chance by either GL or CBS to learn the ropes behind the scenes. Courtney Simon was in front and behind the cameras at times and was pretty successful at it (but wisely took a minor onscreen role when she did both). I think Miner would've been great at directing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
54 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I agree..maybe because Simon never could express any emotion besides that pursed lip thing..I really do think they did indeed need to recast Ed when Simon left, as it would almost be a start over for the character..why did they never bring the Ed before him back?

 

Parker's acceptance was gracious and a kind of FU to JFP, talking about the people writing in for Maureen, that's a hard line to walk. I wonder why no soap ever hired her for something?

They did recast Ed not long after Simon left in 1996, with Robert Gentry (who'd played Ed in the mid-1960s). For whatever reason, it didn't last long. I wasn't watching very frequently at the time, so I couldn't tell you why. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Community Activity

    1. 33,629

      Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

    2. 37,545

      The Politics Thread

    3. 163

      Peacock Orders DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem

    4. 37,545

      The Politics Thread

    5. 15

      Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy