Jump to content

Guiding Light discussion thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Manny said:

 

Hm, that's interesting. I would hate that kind of a move to a new location, to be honest. I know it's not a big deal, but just renaming the town overnight, it would irk me :D

And it is annoying when they do things like that (e.g. Alan buying a house on screen, but later referring to it as that always being the Spaulding home). Don't they have have (or at least back then) people who are there to spot continuity errors? lol

 

 

Oh do I get this correctly that then Bauers did not appear on the show prior to the move to Selby Flats? I thought they had been one of the Rev Ruthledge church members, just not as prominent characters. I  am asking because you mention that the only characters to move to Selby Flats are Claire and her husband. But indeed I agree that this sounds like a much better transition than the one to Springfield. That one is just ..... yikes!

 

Oh wow, Billy Abbott... I never liked him that role. Him or Kelly Kruger as Mac. Neither of them was Billy/Mac to me.. 

I forgot to mention his name...Ryan Brown😂played both Billys

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I forgot to mention his name...Ryan Brown😂played both Billys

No worries. It was also visible on the Youtube video title that you posted ;)

I completely forgot that he was on GL playing Bill until you reminded me with your post :) That was a fun fact to see see ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Manny said:

 

Oh do I get this correctly that then Bauers did not appear on the show prior to the move to Selby Flats? I thought they had been one of the Rev Ruthledge church members, just not as prominent characters. I  am asking because you mention that the only characters to move to Selby Flats are Claire and her husband. But indeed I agree that this sounds like a much better transition than the one to Springfield. That one is just ..... yikes!

 That is correct. The Bauers were never in Five Points. The move to Selby Flats happened in 1946. The first Bauer, Meta, didn't appear until 1948. The Bauers never knew Rev. Ruthledge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill Bauer said:

 That is correct. The Bauers were never in Five Points. The move to Selby Flats happened in 1946. The first Bauer, Meta, didn't appear until 1948. The Bauers never knew Rev. Ruthledge. 

Thank you for your insight! I always thought Bauers were there from the start! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

 That is correct. The Bauers were never in Five Points. The move to Selby Flats happened in 1946. The first Bauer, Meta, didn't appear until 1948. The Bauers never knew Rev. Ruthledge. 


And yet Meta (Mary Stuart) refers to Reverend Rutledge—“one of the best men I’ve ever known for helping people in trouble”—and the church at Five Points at Thanksgiving one year. 


History is flexible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, antmunoz said:


And yet Meta (Mary Stuart) refers to Reverend Rutledge—“one of the best men I’ve ever known for helping people in trouble”—and the church at Five Points at Thanksgiving one year. 


History is flexible. 

 Yeah, there was a lot of revisionist history being written in the latter days. They introduced a character who was supposed to be Rev. Ruthledge's grandson who had the last name Ruthledge who everybody knew of because Reverend Ruthledge was so famous in Springfield. Even though Rev. Ruthledge only had a daughter and even though he was way too young to be Reverend Ruthledge's grandson and even though Reverend Ruthledge didn't live in Springfield. I guess it was nice of them to give a nod to the origins of the show but I don't see the purpose since the only viewers who would even get the reference are soap history geeks who would know that they completely butchered history in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

 Yeah, there was a lot of revisionist history being written in the latter days. They introduced a character who was supposed to be Rev. Ruthledge's grandson who had the last name Ruthledge who everybody knew of because Reverend Ruthledge was so famous in Springfield. Even though Rev. Ruthledge only had a daughter and even though he was way too young to be Reverend Ruthledge's grandson and even though Reverend Ruthledge didn't live in Springfield. I guess it was nice of them to give a nod to the origins of the show but I don't see the purpose since the only viewers who would even get the reference are soap history geeks who would know that they completely butchered history in the process.

I think it all started with Pam Long's first run..surprising enough..the Eli Simms story had all the patriarchs knowing each other and Brandon in town, and then Alex herself is a revision as Alan mentioned no sister...(though on this count it was worth it and they did mention that they were estranged and had spoken for years so...) then we have the Cabin Mystery and the Founder's Day ball and the Spaulding "always lived in the castle." The show then morphed the house Alan bought next to Ed';s house (to appease the dull Hope who didnt like the mansion) into the mansion property adjoining the Bauers..

 

Its is forgivable as it makes more sense that the Spaulding were always there so I consider just like other families who are friends with the Bauers, Lewises and Spauldings that you never hear about but have to"exist" in their fictional world. I think they could have just said "I remember when Five Points and Selby Flats were towns on their own  that the Reverend would take care of along with this town, until Springfield annexed them." (despite Selby Flats being in California..right?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Its is forgivable as it makes more sense that the Spaulding were always there so I consider just like other families who are friends with the Bauers, Lewises and Spauldings that you never hear about but have to"exist" in their fictional world. I think they could have just said "I remember when Five Points and Selby Flats were towns on their own  that the Reverend would take care of along with this town, until Springfield annexed them." (despite Selby Flats being in California..right?)

Lol that's more believable than a few other ways

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mitch said:

 I think they could have just said "I remember when Five Points and Selby Flats were towns on their own  that the Reverend would take care of along with this town, until Springfield annexed them." (despite Selby Flats being in California..right?)

 

That does make pretty good sense, except that Peapack was too small to annex anything at all, except maybe a garden plot 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Broderick said:

 

That does make pretty good sense, except that Peapack was too small to annex anything at all, except maybe a garden plot 😉

 

I refuse to believe Peapack was part of "continuity" and as such never happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Were the Bauers originally named Baum?

 

I always thought that ED's Blake would end up being Beth. 

 

So the Bauers and the Spauldings lived next to each other till the end of the show? Alan's bought a house for his family. Was this where he and Hope were staying?

 

Ross's house was Ben McFarren and Amanda Spaulding's old place?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Elsa said:

Were the Bauers originally named Baum?

 

I always thought that ED's Blake would end up being Beth. 

 

So the Bauers and the Spauldings lived next to each other till the end of the show? Alan's bought a house for his family. Was this where he and Hope were staying?

 

Ross's house was Ben McFarren and Amanda Spaulding's old place?  

 

If my memory is correct, the Spauldings and Bauers did not live next to each other, but their back yards were adjacent.  Ed commented that the Spauling house was "up the hill" from his house, implying the Spauldings lived in a nicer neighborhood.  I believe this was Alan and Hope's original house, but not sure if that was supposed to be the Spaulding Mansion we saw in the last 20 years of the show.   I think the detail that the two properties were adjacent was forgotten by later writers.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Neil Johnson said:

 

If my memory is correct, the Spauldings and Bauers did not live next to each other, but their back yards were adjacent.  Ed commented that the Spauling house was "up the hill" from his house, implying the Spauldings lived in a nicer neighborhood.  I believe this was Alan and Hope's original house, but not sure if that was supposed to be the Spaulding Mansion we saw in the last 20 years of the show.   I think the detail that the two properties were adjacent was forgotten by later writers.   

 

Thank you!

 

Do you think that the show should have recast Alan and Blake once again at some point ? RR and LK never worked out for me.  RR's Alan was more like Stefano Dimera and LK's Blake was... boring.  Who could have played them? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Elsa said:

 

Thank you!

 

Do you think that the show should have recast Alan and Blake once again at some point ? RR and LK never worked out for me.  RR's Alan was more like Stefano Dimera and LK's Blake was... boring.  Who could have played them? 

 

I think Ron Raines was well cast as Alan, but the writing became very bad shortly after he assumed the role.  They turned a sophisticated millionaire into a bumbling fool.  That wasn't Raines' fault, it was the writers.  I don't have an opinion about Blake.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member



×
×
  • Create New...