Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Barbara Norris had comic difficulty remembering her granddaughter’s new name when she returned for Holly’s wedding to Fletcher.  She kept using Christina or any name that started with B other than Blake. 

I am of the belief that Springfield simply became the new location in 1966.  No characters moved; they just lived in a place called Springfield now. I don’t think we’ll ever really know for sure. However if someone could compare the sets used for Bill and Bert’s house and Meta and Bruce’s house from the early sixties to the later 60s—well, if they’re the same exact sets, then the characters didn’t physically move. 

Also, Papa Bauer’s death and funeral just a few years later has him as a pillar of the Springfield comumunity—after 6 years?  I prefer to believe that he’d lived there many years. 

By the time of Meta’s reintroduction and the constant references to the various Reverends Rutledge, it seems as though Springfield has always been the setting. 

Of course, the show re-wrote history constantly  We saw Alan move to Springfield and  buy his house in the late 70’s. A decade later, the Spaulding have a mansion that has always been in the family. They have apparently lived there for generations. 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hm, that's interesting. I would hate that kind of a move to a new location, to be honest. I know it's not a big deal, but just renaming the town overnight, it would irk me

Please register in order to view this content

And it is annoying when they do things like that (e.g. Alan buying a house on screen, but later referring to it as that always being the Spaulding home). Don't they have have (or at least back then) people who are there to spot continuity errors? lol

Oh do I get this correctly that then Bauers did not appear on the show prior to the move to Selby Flats? I thought they had been one of the Rev Ruthledge church members, just not as prominent characters. I  am asking because you mention that the only characters to move to Selby Flats are Claire and her husband. But indeed I agree that this sounds like a much better transition than the one to Springfield. That one is just ..... yikes!

Oh wow, Billy Abbott... I never liked him that role. Him or Kelly Kruger as Mac. Neither of them was Billy/Mac to me.. 

• Members

Yeah, there was a lot of revisionist history being written in the latter days. They introduced a character who was supposed to be Rev. Ruthledge's grandson who had the last name Ruthledge who everybody knew of because Reverend Ruthledge was so famous in Springfield. Even though Rev. Ruthledge only had a daughter and even though he was way too young to be Reverend Ruthledge's grandson and even though Reverend Ruthledge didn't live in Springfield. I guess it was nice of them to give a nod to the origins of the show but I don't see the purpose since the only viewers who would even get the reference are soap history geeks who would know that they completely butchered history in the process.

• Members

I think it all started with Pam Long's first run..surprising enough..the Eli Simms story had all the patriarchs knowing each other and Brandon in town, and then Alex herself is a revision as Alan mentioned no sister...(though on this count it was worth it and they did mention that they were estranged and had spoken for years so...) then we have the Cabin Mystery and the Founder's Day ball and the Spaulding "always lived in the castle." The show then morphed the house Alan bought next to Ed';s house (to appease the dull Hope who didnt like the mansion) into the mansion property adjoining the Bauers..

Its is forgivable as it makes more sense that the Spaulding were always there so I consider just like other families who are friends with the Bauers, Lewises and Spauldings that you never hear about but have to"exist" in their fictional world. I think they could have just said "I remember when Five Points and Selby Flats were towns on their own  that the Reverend would take care of along with this town, until Springfield annexed them." (despite Selby Flats being in California..right?)