• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Finally saw the Simon interview. Enjoyed it! Lots of tea

Please register in order to view this content

spilled. Interesting to see Peter admit he hated how Ed was portrayed in Maureen death. How he pretty much hated the Bauers..lol.  Pretty much hated playing Ed. How he had his favorite writers but didn't mention them. How everyone hated the actor playing Rick so much that they were going to kill him off. How Maureen changed when played by Parker.

Courtney saying how GL and ATWT were family. How bad the writing for GH was with the propping of Sonny and Luke.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Where was it in the interview where he said people didn't like the actor playing Rick?

I wonder if the circumstances on how he was hired to play Ed back in 1981 colored how he viewed playing the character?  I do know that he thought the show didn't really play out the Maureen death angle as much, and he echoed the sentiments expressed by many.. that the show lost a great actress in Ellen Parker.

• Members

Yeah, he just was the full package as a soap Everyman. Wholesome but not bland or weak, witty, lots of chemistry with partners, handsome in an accessible way. Sort of a Middle America archetype that would have been well-suited for a Bauer. Or another role. He would have been young for Rick, but I think he would have fit the MOL mold while executing on a higher level. (It wouldn’t have been a *totally* new direction in terms of look or type.) But, in any case, GL (or any soap) would have been lucky to have his presence onscreen.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I'm sure it was more than just a (slight) degradation in Hulswit's appearance which led to his termination. Douglas Marland was too vitriolic, almost gleefully so, about the actor for the firing to be about MH's looks.

And truth be told, Peter Simon was quite close in age to Hulswit, and had thinning hair as well, so Marland's contention that they needed a "younger, sexier Ed" was absurd. 

• Members

No. They were referring to a child actor on the show back in the early 1980s. They didn't seem to recall who the actor was or which character he played. The decision was made to kill off the character but then the producer announced at a meeting that they had changed their minds. At that point, Charita turned to the person sitting next to her and said something like, "Well, he'll be dead in our hearts forever."

Peter Simon talked very glowingly of O'Leary.

Edited by robbwolff

• Members

I thought there was another Rick in the early 80s I vaguely recall from the classic eps CBS used to run. Phil MacGregor! That's the name. Simon didn't start on GL til '81, long after that kid above.

MacGregor posted by someone on our own site, when I google searched:

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Vee