• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
6 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

If I had to place a bet, I would say it was probably Gary Hannoch. Courtney seemed to regret saying the name. I think she didn't want to call out a certain actor so she might have acted like she wasn't sure. She and PS both kind of seemed like they regretted bringing the story up. 

Another child actor on the show (1974-76, I believe) was T.J. Hargrave, who played Joe and Sara's adopted son T.J./Tim Werner.

Also, a boy named Robbie Berridge played Freddie following Gary Hannoch, from 1976 to 1978.

• Members

All that stuff about the great romantic Justin Deas makes me roll my eyes, although to be fair Fiona Hutchinson did say as much in one of her interviews. And I guess Margaret Colin would agree...

I will never believe Deas or Buzz were needed on the show, but I mostly grew to tolerate him by the mid '90s. I'm just sorry, and still mad, about what he did to Nadine as a character.

11 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Why did Hilary Edson quit?  I liked what I have seen of Eve, I liked her as Tania on GH too.

I think she left one soap because she wanted to go back out to the West Coast - can't remember if that was GL or AW.

I always liked Eve - she was one of my favorites during her GL run. 

HATED HATED HATED her AW run. HATED it.

• Members

Good find. 

He makes sense, and I think they did tease a death story for Rick around 1974 or 1975. It's not as if P&G had any issue with killing off legacy kids - ATWT Lisa's son was killed around this time.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
25 minutes ago, jam6242 said:

I found this item from 1974.  Makes me think Gary Hannoch is the child actor in the Charita story.  Is this Gary between Mart and Charita, lol?

Please register in order to view this content

Yes, that's him and he seems to be having a temper tantrum in that photo so that could be the smoking gun. LOL. Good find indeed! 

Who is that very 70s-looking kid on the far left? Would that be TJ Werner? 

Edited by Bill Bauer

• Members
56 minutes ago, Bill Bauer said:

Yes, that's him and he seems to be having a temper tantrum in that photo so that could be the smoking gun. LOL. Good find indeed! 

Yes, that's T.J. Hargrave.  I do remember him but don't remember Gary.

• Members
58 minutes ago, Bill Bauer said:

Seriously, based on this phone alone I’d assume it was him lol.

I do wonder why killing him off seemed to be the option as opposed to recasting him.

• Members
1 hour ago, Asb23 said:

Seriously, based on this phone alone I’d assume it was him lol.

I do wonder why killing him off seemed to be the option as opposed to recasting him.

Sometimes a picture truly speaks a thousand words! 

This may not answer your question but when I watched one of the reunion live streams, Hillary Bailey Smith spoke of the reason for her character's miscarriage storyline as being due to the difficulties of working with children in a continuing daytime drama. HBS' character Margo was finally allowed to carry a child to term but the actress used her own child on the soap.

• Members
19 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Michael Logan loves that Greta Garbo of daytime line.  He used it here and in his interview with Beverlee.

I like a lot of Deas work that I have seen on YouTube.  He was adorable as Tom Hughes and in Ryan’s Hope.  But Buzz is a drag.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I thought he and Robin Mattson were wonderful together as schemers on Santa Barbara, even with his mugging. (From clips I’ve seen.) But he also had the benefit of better, wittier dialogue and a roguish, devious character on SB. He was also good as an adversary to A Martinez.

• Members
20 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I know a lot of people disagree, but I thought he and Robin Mattson were wonderful together as schemers on Santa Barbara, even with his mugging. (From clips I’ve seen.) But he also had the benefit of better, wittier dialogue and a roguish, devious character on SB. He was also good as an adversary to A Martinez.

I actually like Buzz at first when he was a pain in the ass, stuck out like a sore thumb oddball conman...that was what he was and people called him out...(I remember him working at Lewis and acting like he was on a business call and Van calming walking in and plugged the phone into the phone jack..."This might make your call clearer!"  It was when Buzz was this great romantic lead , with poor Jenna being grabbed constantly (Fiona would call an ape romantic if it ensured her airtime..)that I did not get at all. I also thought Deas worked as a tired older guy who had was a bit jaded but wanted to help other people and Deas was good with the younger even terrible actors...(Jesse Blu,,thats who...) But when budget cuts came and they cut Ed and Ross to make Deas the patriarch...totally wrong choice..

Its too bad that they didnt bring RM back as a jaded Hope ready to battle Alan..though I think RM would walk all over RR.

Edited by Mitch

• Members
33 minutes ago, InLoveWithSoaps said:

Do you think Deas could have worked as an Ed recast given recent discussion about the Ed's and the fact Deas' arrival meant Maureen's death? Might have kept her alive and fire PS instead. It's one thing I've wondered watching the excellent early 1994 episodes.

Maybe in 1984, when Simon first left the show, Deas could have worked as his replacement. But I can't imagine Deas playing any of the material that Simon got in the 1990s. He'd make no sense with Maureen, and I couldn't picture him in scenes with Holly and Roger. (Although of course Buzz did end up marrying Ed's affair partner Lillian in the final weeks of GL).

• Members
1 hour ago, prefab1 said:

Maybe in 1984, when Simon first left the show, Deas could have worked as his replacement. But I can't imagine Deas playing any of the material that Simon got in the 1990s. He'd make no sense with Maureen, and I couldn't picture him in scenes with Holly and Roger. (Although of course Buzz did end up marrying Ed's affair partner Lillian in the final weeks of GL).

Buzz also had his share of story with Roger (during the Jenna/Roger marriage from hell) and later Holly (that weird "let's put characters together if they're the same age and we don't want to write for them" triangle she had with Buzz and Billy).

I thought Peter Simon did a good job with Maureen's death and with the later Eve relationship, but I wouldn't have been outraged if he'd been recast.