Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

On the Locher Room today with the AW people, Alice Barrett says Frankie was killed off to make room in the budget for Robert Kelker Kelly’s return. Could the same thing have happened here? The only one I can think of is Justin Deas that they would need the money for. He came on right about the time Maureen was killed off.  Wasn’t JFP executive producer there at the time, too. Just a thought. 

Edited by Asb23

• Members

JFP desperately wanted to move the focus of the show to the Coopers, headed by her FOJ Deas.  The show replaced the calm, comforting matriarch was a too frentic, annoying patriarch..and the ratings dropped, who woulda thought huh?

And yes, it was mentioned by others who seem to know that Parker was let go to make money in the budget for Deas..another reason I disliked Buzz.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

You know, for years I had been hearing about the things that JFP did well and poorly. I agree that, over the course of a storyline and even over the course of a year's worth of storylines, there were somethings that were done very well. She also made some decisions that had really poor outcomes in the longterm, choices that just turned out to be... not that smart.  To me, there ought to be limits placed on the type of decisions that a producer can make, unless that producer writes and/or created the show. 

• Members

The fact that JFP’s current excuse is that she learned her lesson with Maureen...and then admitted the lesson she learned was not giving the actor she wants to get rid of for whatever reason good material the audience is invested in.  “The audience only cared about Maureen because of the affair and death.”  She does not get it at all.  

• Members

Good question.. I think JFP thought of the Coopers as her own..though Long created them, and only Buzz was a JFP era creation. But obviously some people loved them...why did they stick around so long? Instead of killing Jenna, why not write Buzz and her out happy, as Buzz had no "storyline" since that then. Why when budget cuts came, they did not think of making the core of the show the family headed by Ross,the longest running cast member and the patriarch of the show, who was married (sorry LK never worked as scheming Blake but as a slightly off center Mom she did) and had three kids who could be SORAS for story? I know Jill Hurst (who I actually respect as a writer) thought of them as her "comfort food," but really, the only thing they had going for them is Harley, as Frank and Buzz just were "there"

Past Harley and her first go around, and her relationship with Frank, I never got the Coopers.

• Members

The Coopers without a Harley was an odd time to focus on the Coopers. Lucy was a poor replacement for Harley.  Frank, Harley and Nadine were a great trio (I adored Frank and Harely’s relationship especially in the late 80’s/early 90’s) but with the addition of Buzz and the loss of Harley I just didn’t care anymore.