Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

LOL..he was annoying when he was on the show..in the few scenes he was actually awake. Did they ask him to do his Speedy Gonzales voice???That bordered on soap parody.

The Drew actress as Stacey..that would have been good..but Rauchie and MADD wanted to do their new versions of all old characters built around Jeva. I have been watching some of poor Nola's last days, before she got her last big storyline, and she is just ..there..Nola Reardon is just there. They have a really poorly written scene helping Matt build the Dream House to somehow conjure Vanessa back..and all the ladies are going on about how happy they are to be with a man...with the GL theme playing..the theme reserved for sentimental scenes or a character barring their soul (cause the end all and be all is to have a man and be in a couple..) and Nola is just sadly..."Well, I hope your ladies luck rubs off on me."  Unfortunately it was better then her duping an amnesia Buzz butt.

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She tested with another actor she wanted in the role..she made no bones he was a better actor but not muscular and that an net exec wanted Paulo...(the dreaded Babs Bloom who came up with the clone..did she want him to bone her.??) Probably RB let Paulo know it...and Paulo resented it. They should have written that on screen, Springfield's princess looking down on the hot dumb guy but wanting to get some ..and it might have worked better.

Except Alan is old enough to be his dad..uggh, like an old creeper at a bar.. I had no idea who that actor was or who Max was or that Drew adopted..or how Selena was her mom and who cares...that era of GL sucked. I watched an Christmas Eve episode and instead of it being at the Bauers they are at Phillip and Harleys house..which was HUGE (looked like the took parts of the Bauer living room to make it) and there is Selena and Drew and Buzz windmilling and Beth acting like a freaking bitch and..I understood why I stopped watching then.

• Members

I don't get why they didn't just keep Nola on recurring while Lisa worked backstage..she could have kept Company (so the stank of the Coopers didnt infect it) and just been like an Amy Vinning, but at the bar, getting in everyone's business.

• Members

I did watch the reunion,  Paulo seemed kind of frenetic.

I do like the pieces of info we get on these (i.e. Kimberly brown was up for the Judy Garland part, turned it down, and Tammy got it).

I love the Beth Ehler stories..she seemed like a cool person through the late 90s.  

• Members

I was a bit harsh and petty. It is true that I have tremendous respect and appreciation for someone who still celebrates his beginnings and he does have talent.

And more importantly your point about directors is key. THIS should have been their job to channel his energy and talent in a more subtle manner. That they didn't and it ended up being too much was as much their fault as his. I fully agree with that.

Setting aside the energy, I thought he looked good even thicker (and it is not even that bad).

• Members

I totally got the hype because unfortunately too many viewers are accustomed to bad to mediocre acting. Zeroing in on the pool of young male soap actors, it's easy to see how someone like Pelphrey would stand out. He was a talented young actor with formal training and a degree from a well-regarded program. He wasn't some model who'd never even had a single lesson and "learned how to act on the job". I'm not implying that a trained actor is a superior actor, but training certainly puts an actor at an advantage. Pelphrey had his ticks and tricks like most actors and one could sense that he fancied himself in the lineage of his idols. But I'll take that over what I call the MWM, models who memorize.

• Members

Totally agree...I mean look a Paulo in essentially the same role. I also think the thing about TP...was that he wasn't a generic pretty boy, and he brought, more a first, a sexual energy that most of the young male soap stars cant...they look like they just want to screw themselves. I sound like a TP fanboy which I am not..his run exhausted me but again, it was more the writing (taking Jonathon in the generic bad boy with a heart of gold TWU wuv thing was such a waste and I think he ovecompensated when he could) and directing.

• Members

I'll always find Rick hot and brilliant, no matter how bad his GH stories got. DAYS should've brought him back aeons ago.

He talks about Beverlee McKinsey, who he says adored Chris Bernau. My first brush with Chris Bernau was in his role on Dark Shadows in SyFy reruns when I was a kid; he was always clearly talented, but I didn't fully appreciate him until I began to glimpse him as Alan on WOST years later. He was sexy and powerful, and a world apart from the blustering fool I'd always seen Ron Raines play.