Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I am going to be honest: I know I am in the minority but I loved the Mindy vs Alex story up until the point Bev left. Yes, Alex was being vindictive but it seemed understandable and it was fun and well-acted by everyone involved and it led to one of my top 5 favorite scenes in soap ever which is Alex telling Billy in the restaurant (and that marvellous eyeroll when Fletch reads her the riot act for doing it).
The latter version with the recasts end up retreading the same soil over and over and over and being tedious. But I didn't agree with Bev on whether the story worked! I guess it is testament to her brilliance that she sold the hell out of that story even if she hated it.

OMG Thank you SO MUCH for saying this. I thought I was the only one who was so annoyed and put off by the constant hype surrounding him. I mean, I am not as harsh as some of you on his acting but there is nothing that turns me off of an actor faster than everyone telling me He Will Be a Star.
And then he started acting as if he wanted to prove that He Will Be a Star. Not just presenting the material but everything felt like a casting reel for future projects. The "Look at me acting" acting style is not fun. At least Kim Zimmer's attention-seeking acting feels natural because, well, that's who she is. 
And the messiness around him sleeping with two co-stars also kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I get that things happen and affairs of the heart can be complicated but since I was already pre-disposed to dislike him...
So, petty as it feels, I am kind of glad that the great predictions for him didn't really pan out.

• Members

No I agree, the story worked for the time, but it WAS time to move on.  The whole premise was kind of a retro write in Alex feeling betrayed by someone who she welcomed into her home (Alex, while not being mean to her..always had Mindy's number even with Krista playing her..and looked down on the Lewis family) but if you accept that premise I was good with it and it was refreshing that she was more angry by that a family friend betrayed her then Roger.  By having her still look down on Mindy and make snide remarks after that would be fine...but then Marj comes in and SHRIEKS about Mindy the WHORE..and it just brought it all down.

As for Pelphery..I do feel that he is very talented but not the second coming...I think the actors and fans like to see something positive in those horrible last few years and he was a bright spot. I do think the he got Deas Virus where everyone proclaimed his greatness and he began to believe it and no directors ever pulled him back and the writing supported his worst tendancies...I CAN see in Ozark how good he could have been with some reigning in and subtle writing.  I hope he does well as he seems like a nice guy who really respects the GL opportunity.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

This one is a disaster. Everyone is taking over each other. Paulo had to tell Alan that Tammy hadn't finished her story when he tried to move on.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Alan needs to sit back and let the actors talk..only stepping in if silent.

Alex might have moved on from the Mindy and roger affair had Mindy not switched the DNA results.  Had the show written it that Alex felt like she was reliving the past trauma of having her child taken from her..it would have been better.

The story worked, just not how it was written.

• Members

This reunion is a snooze for me. I floved Bethany and not surprised she made it but the rest of characters/actors are forgettable for me. I had already forgotten who Paulo and Paul played. Surprised Tammy made it big. She was good in GL but still. I never cared for Brittney Snow on GL of after she left.

• Members

lol 

It was nice seeing all of them except Paulo (lol sorry Paulo). All I got.

GL lucked out with Brittany, Joy, Paul and Tammy.

I always felt Drew should have been Stacy Chamberlain and Nola's daughter. They would have been fire together. I liked Tammy with Patti D'Arbanville but it felt like they slotted Selena in for Nola, JMO.

Edited by KMan101