Everything posted by Soaplovers
-
BTG: October 2026 Discussion Thread
Normally I'd just dismiss the Vanessa attack being done off screen as just a budget thing... but than I recall we saw in the first week of the show Laura driving home, being tailed, and being run off the road with the person driving off... and later finding out it was SPS/Leslie when she came home and removed the motorcycle helmet. People are still wishing for her to be found out, and because the show seems intent on keeping her.. they stopped showing Laura so we'd forget.. is my theory. Normally, I'd say that maybe the budget was cut for season 2... but than I remember the shootout that resulted in poor Derek's death and also the tornado that caused Eva to almost lose her life and led to Kat's internal conflict over whether to donate to the sister she hates or not... and that happened just a few months ago. Speaking of which, after the way Iziaiah treated Kat during that story makes me wonder why the writers are insisting on pushing this arc with them together.. when the most natural story would involve Eva/Izaiah being more tied to Deanna/Noah... while Kate is more tied to Naomi/Jacob... but what do I know LOL If the budget is limited to maybe showing such an event one or two times a season.. than the writers need to take note of that and plan an event like that only one time a year.. and to make it impactful.
-
Guiding Light Discussion Thread
LBB was too hammy and too over the top for acting on television... Broadway is where someone like her should stay so we don't have to be subjected to her 'acting'.. and based on a few interviews I've watched of her.. she comes across as someone that hasn't run into a mirror she didn't like. McKeon was the exact opposite.. she was almost too low key to play Marah and very cynical in real life interviews. Kimberly J Brown was the perfect Marah.. she played a Marah that had qualities of both Reva and Josh.
-
Loving/The City Discussion Thread
He should have taken his own advice and left ATWT after a few years. Nixon and Marland were vastly different writers so it isn't a surprise that they had little disagreements. It sounds as though he didn't like his work being micro-managed, but at the same time, he was working for Nixon since she did create the show. And his day to day scripts were a bit too exposition heavy (it always drove me crazy watching episodes of ATWT where the characters had unrealistic conversations with one another).
-
All My Children Tribute Thread
From what I recall, part of the reason that Nina targeted Donna had to do with the Zach Grayson murder storyline where Nina's mother Daisy was accused of the crime.. and Donna had blocked out her memories of the event and it turned out that she remembered one detail that made everyone realize it was Marian Colby that was the killer. While Nina #2 resembled Nina #1 in looks... she had more brittle uptight approach to playing Nina vs the softer vulnerable yet strong willed Nina that Taylor Miller played. Nina #3 didn't resemble Nina whatsoever, though her take was not brittle nor uptight... I can't describe her take in words.. tbh.
-
BTG: October 2026 Discussion Thread
Rewatching the Caroline scenes from Thursday's episode.. and I loved that my initial instincts about her have come to pass. She definitely knows where all the bodies are buried, she also was nice to Hayley only for the sake of her boss Bill and her job.. not because she actually wanted to befriend Hayley.. and even when the sexual harrassment story was going on last year, I knew Caroline was thinking and feeling a certain way about the whole situation. All assistants see and know everything after all. As @Taoboi can attest, I've always said that Caroline knows where all the bones are buried.. and I bet she knows something that can counteract Hayley's blackmail attempts.
-
Another World Discussion Thread
I thought Cheryl came on during a really odd transition and she ended up getting lost in the shuffle. I understood the show opting to go for Josie (basically a replacement for Cheryl) due to her ties to the Frames and later the Matthews... but I wish that Cheryl would have been written better. Unpopular opinion, but I actually enjoyed a lot of the strike material.. at least the day to day stuff where there were some progressive (for 1988) conversations that went on. There was a clear focus on newbie Ronnie, Lisa was given more dimension (where she had some pretty progressive views on men and women), and the female worker hired by John was an interesting concept/idea.. but the casting was a bit off. And we had some interesting Sam/Amanda as young newlyweds with a new baby with Mac/Rachel/Ada/Mitch all having input and scenes with the coupling.. while we saw more seeds planted on how truly different the two were with Sam's working class mentality clashing with Amanda's sheltered wealthy upbringing. The Cass and Nicole ghost story went a step too far.. it would have worked better had the ghost been in Cass' head and been due to his being unable to move on from Kathleen... with the end result being Cass finally being able to move on with Nicole. Another unpopular opinion, but I actually liked the actress that played Nicole #3 and saw some elements that made me believe that Nicole #1 and Nicole #3 were the same character.. just different ways of presenting the character. Nicole #1 was a tortured free spirit that spent more money than she was making while dealing with a drug problem in her early days. She also tended to become dependent on men that showed her positive attention like what happened with Jamie while almost going scorched earth on female competition like what happened with Stacy. Nicole # 2 wasn't on very long, and she was gone after a short time though her trying to be a singer fit with the character being restless. Nicole # 3 quickly latched onto fashion design, being both erratic and rational.. and trying to present herself as together when on the inside she was falling apart. I think her issues post Jason's murder could have been even better if she had fallen back into her old habit of drugs since she was acting off and erratic just like she did back in 83/84.
-
Y&R: Jamey Giddens & Dan O'Connor named co-head writers
I'm all for new blood, the late Bill Bell did that successfully in the early 80s, and to a lesser extent, the 90s... but the problem is that the new characters are under-written and the performers cast to play these under written parts can barely act. The key is to look at newer characters that have made an impression and start to build either families and/or friends around them.. and go from there. I mean the Abbotts first started because Jill went to work at Jabot randomly in 1980, so the first step would be to take an established character and plop them into a new setting with some new characters and gradually integrate the new characters onto the rest of the canvas. However, Jack vs Victor needs to be put to rest... it's as tired and worn out as the Jill vs Katherine story was... while the show needs to figure out what they need to do with characters like Sally, Chelsea, Billy, Phyllis, Sharon, and Nick... either cut them or use one of them to help usher in new characters that stick.
-
Another World Discussion Thread
Cass/Nicole was on the few things that Depriest did right. She also did right with Felicia/Mitch, which caused great tension between Rachel/Felicia and Rachel/Mac. She also paired Sam/Amanda though loses points for making her pregnant so soon.. and she also did well with setting the groundwork for Jamie/Lisa/Vicky. For some reason, she had trouble with the Mckinnons and Love's.. but seemed like she understood the Cory's and Felicia. Jason came on at the end of Depriest's stint.. and she had Jason interacting with Mary (due to the actors being together on GH) while having him and Nicole in some creepy scenes before she left and the strike writers kind of dropped that.
-
BTG: October 2026 Discussion Thread
1990 was a different time where a scene like this could be written, filmed, and acted to perfection by all involved. 2026 is almost too PC and play it safe that MVJ would love to film an actual out and out fight between two characters, but you'd have several groups proclaiming how degrading it was for women to fight like this, that we're better than this, etc. I'd love for Hayley to get in some licks on Dani.. tbh.
-
Guiding Light Discussion Thread
The other Zimmer scene I thought was well done was the scene between her and Alexandra in November 1989 right around the time of the whole Dylan/Harley/Alan Michael and the kidnapping of Daisy/Susan. Both actresses played well opposite one another with Zimmer reigning it in and being calm and supportive when Alexandra was talking about Phillip being in the mental institution after trying to dig up Beth's grave. Reva was worried when she heard about what Phillip was going through, yet also had a look of understanding when Beth's name was mentioned.. while Lujack was also mentioned during the conversation. Long created both characters and knew exactly how to write them and also knew to play the history between the two with each giving one another looks that showed that they respected one another and even could laugh during a stressful time. I think Zimmer also knew not to step on Mckinsey's toes and matched her energy. My late mom tended to be a fan of Zimmer when she played anyone, but Reva (post 1990). She loved her as Nola on The Doctors, viewed 1983 Echo as a Luann (RHONY) type, and even liked her when she was Jodie on SB stating she played a convincing blue collar cop that tried to balance being objective with being a bleeding heart.
-
Actors That Get/Got By On "The Halo Effect"
Galen Gering.. has he been mentioned yet? Back in the day, I loved him on Passions, especially when he was paired with Sheridan.. only to realize that once the show stupidly broke them up.. he floundered, yet continued to get featured quite a bit while his former scene partner Mazkenzie Westmore basically was given a bad re-write and basically degraded. Than he started on Days and he had a strong start with Sami (Allison Sweeney).. but once they broke up.... he again floundered yet has been kept on for years. Boggles my mind.
-
BTG: September 2026 Discussion Thread
I'm hoping Hayley throws a punch to Dani next... that one has been asking for a good punch to the mouth since week 1.. and Hayley needs to be the one to deliver that blow to that vapid waste of space named Dani. It's odd that the show, and even the actress playing Chelsea, have said that Chelsea is exactly like Dani because I don't see it at all. Other than the water being thrown at Hayley, Chelsea tends to be more rational and having the most logical of takes sometimes unlike her pompous cousin Martin, nor her smug sister Naomi. I know some on this board are a bit upset that Heather and Hayley seem to be walking around town free as a bird.... what you all should be asking is why the writers seem unable to not make the Duprees both the villains and the cringy relative you stick in a corner while the interesting people are featured. Lastly, you should be asking why a female woman of color (MVJ) seems to get off on making the black men get yelled at and abused. Going through her X/Twitter profile.. that woman has serious daddy issues and a lot of hostility toward men. Perhaps the powers that be above her could help provide her and her female EP's and female Co-head writer some mental help to deal with their issues... or perhaps teach them how to harness that into writing an actual good story and program.
-
Beyond the Gates October 2026 Spoilers
I don't understand why the show insists on doing such things when the focus should be on telling stories and generating conflict. It's kind of a waste of time doing these events, and maybe someone should tell them they're writing a soap opera.. not a modern day version of the 70s show Family.
-
GH: Classic Thread
From what my mom told me, early D.L Brock came across like a charming guy.. and that the show hired David Groh on purpose to lure viewers into thinking D.L was going to be a good guy.. since he was popular on Rhoda years before. I wish I could have seen the story in real time because it sounded like it did what it intended to do.
-
Bravo's The Real Housewives of....
As someone that didn't watch season 15 of NY, I'm liking the slow burn of this season thus far. I'm not a big fan of toxicity in large doses... so hearing how the final few episodes of last season went, it makes me happy with my decision. And you all might have enjoyed it last season, but it got put on pause and did a soft reboot so obviously most people didn't enjoy it. It's why I opted not to continue watching the OC, BH, and Salt Lake City... the continuing slide into extreme toxicity drove me and others like me away from those shows. So I'm enjoying the slow burn and the calm discussions over slights and misunderstandings of the first four episodes. With that said, Erin being mad that Hailey talked about her behind her back and compared her to Jam is rich considering the amount of talk she does about everyone behind their backs. Her husband is a saint to be married to her. And Jessel being put out that her hubby is doing food content that isn't generating income is kind of funny. Welcome to equality Jessel.. now you know how husbands in the past felt about their wives and their hobbies that cost money, but didn't generate income.
-
All My Children Tribute Thread
I don't remember Trina... but I do remember Randi and how her introduction was similar as Donna... injured and beaten up by her pimp. Unlike Donna, the only person Randi seemed to date was Frankie.. but the show ended a year or two after she was introduced so she probably might have had the show continued. I recall Donna having a brief relationship with Ross as well as Tom briefly in the mid 80s.
-
BTG: September 2026 Discussion Thread
I know there was a throwaway line from SPS/Leslie where she mentioned she had a financial advisor that was helping grow her money so that sort of explains how she has a decent amount of money after all this time. It's not perfect, but at least they did make mention of it at least once. Dani's conduct is why I hate having her on all the time. It's the same thing with her... she has two or three emotions (either she makes wisecracks, she looks down on others, or she's overly emotional)... it's very high school play level of acting. I still wonder what Daphnee would have done with the role of Dani since she tried out for the role before being cast as Nicole. Unpopular opinion: I think that Anita and Nicole seem to fill the same function/trope on the soap... so they both get short-changed. Had TT wanted to stay only a short time, the cancer story could have been a way to write Anita off with Nicole inheriting the matriarch mantel. I would have just had Anita passed away... and had TT playing Nicole and Daphnee playing Dani. When I look at Randy, I want to say 'Sweetie, please don't speak. Smile and look pretty'. Me and a bunch of my female friends in high school used to coin that about cute, but dumb men LOL This is why I'm a bit bummed that AJ is playing Heather.. and the show is writing her very close to a corner... because she's a natural fit on the show and made the last few months watchable. She actually got stuff done. My prediction: Either Heather or Hayley will end up in a whodunit by the end of season 2 with season 3 trying to figure out who offed them.
-
ALL: Best /Worst Retcons
That's because the clues were there going all the way back to when Tina first showed up to live with Viki. Why Irene picked Viki of all people seemed a bit weird in retrospect.. but it did allow Viki and Tina to get to know one another for a few years so that you could buy the two having an underlying tension that got amped up once it came out that they were half-sisters.
-
ALL: Best /Worst Retcons
In regards to Scott being invented as a son lisa gave up during her time away from Oakdale, I believe that he was invented because Marland couldn't figure out a way to bring back Chuckie since he died on screen. B & B - Donna having a grown son from before the show debuted in 1987... but nothing in the early months of the show indicated that she had previously had a baby she gave up for adoption. It didn't make sense.
-
BTG: September 2026 Discussion Thread
The case is generally brought by the government (the state/federal prosecutor), not by the alleged victim... so if Bill wants to not testify and/or assist the prosecutor can still move forward the charge if they have sufficient evidence (police testimony, physical evidence, etc). If there isn't enough sufficient evidence.. they could dismiss due to lack of evidence. That's in the real world... not sure what BTG will do in this case.
-
ALL: Best /Worst Retcons
I think the show corrected that when Lyla came for Christmas and finding out what Katie was up to.. and than being aghast/surprised when she was told that Katie was telling everyone how neglectful she felt... and than Katie and Simon enter the scene with Lyla basically saying " Remember me.. the mother that neglected you!'.. and Katie had a deer caught in headlight look.. so I think the show revealed that the Lyla being neglectful was a correction of the recon by revealing it as one of many lies told by Katie. On the fence recon: ATWT Sabrina Hughes revealed as being alive and living in England years after Kim was led to believe that she dead at birth. While it provided some interesting tremors with Kim/Bob having a shaky marriage.. Frannie/Barbara being upset with Kim and Bob.. they eventually were forgiven. And Sabrina was never really written for other than her pretending to be Frannie in order to get Seth Snyder to sleep with her. She ended up having a taste for dangerous men while it was written as her being naive instead of being used to show that Sabrina had a dark side.
-
Bravo's The Real Housewives of....
Hard disagree.. Porsha is the last person to be making any judgements about anyone considering how problematic she was.... and Gizelle is just a bitter unhappy individual that revels in causing trouble because she's an empty vessel of a person.
-
Guiding Light Discussion Thread
And the fun twist was that the storyline was written by a woman (Curlee) and approved by a female EP. Southern Gothic thrives on stories like Alex/Nick/Mindy. While it wasn't my favorite story, I did like that the soap still maintained its Gothic roots by employing this in the early 90s. The only thing I didn't like about it was how slanted the writing was toward Mindy... the woman not only had an affair gleefully with Alex's husband... but also switched the paternity results. To Alex, it put Mindy in the same place that she put her father Brandon and Alan. I'm not sure exactly why Eve was bought on originally, but the show did eventually course correct with her character by focusing on her PTSD and focusing on her mental health while pairing her with Ed with occasional interactions with both Nick and Mindy after mid 1993.
-
BTG: September 2026 Discussion Thread
See.. I view Hayley as the good guy while I view the Duprees as the villains. All wealthy families on every soap are the villains so anyone against them, is a hero in my book :) Chelsea has the most realistic response to all the turmoil going on, but those Dupree hugging scenes are so cringe. Upside was no Dani today :)
-
Guiding Light Discussion Thread
Unpopular opinion, but I think the show should have rested the Mindy character after Simms left in mid 1992 for awhile. I think she was off for only six months before she was recast.. so the memory of Simms was in their mind. Mindy seemed to work better in visits rather played by Simms or Krista after 1995. I have to admit that I smiled on one of Mindy's visits where Krista's Mindy had a warm moment with Frank and even dancing for old time's sake. They had a nice chemistry with one another. Later on, she did come back as played by Krista on a recurring basis.. and I think people accepted her because it was the original Mindy.