Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rape or no rape, Adrienne Frantz and Sean Kanan sizzle on screen. That scene where Amber found out that Daniel had been listening actually made me feel something, like disgust/heartwrenching. First time ive gotten any sort of emotional feedback from this show in a looong time

I think more troubling than Philip being gay is that he's had marbles stuck in his mouth since he got here. He should spit them out and talk for the love of christ.

Something's missing with P4... John Driscoll gets mad props for doing the best he can with it but they're writing him as a dope.

Also, Chloe wants to put Mac with Chance. I had to take a few minutes and figure out how this wasn't going to be incest... mind you its very borderline.

• Members
I agree with this post almost 100%. I think finding the right HW for this show is key. I want a HW who writes from the heart, like Claire Labine or Nancy Curlee, who does so with intelligence, class and grace. I realize they don't have a history with this show, but I think they would do wonders with the rich characterizations that used to be a hallmark of this show, but no longer is. You're spot on when you say the dialogue is soul-less these days. It's just words. As a viewer I don't feel anything. Maybe the direction and acting are partly to blame, but the scripts just seem bland, as if the writers are no longer invested in the stories. I want to see longer scenes where we get inside what the characters are thinking and feeling. I'm sick of plot, plot, plot, which is Hogan's trademark. I don't know what's happening behind the scenes of this once great show, but it has veered off course painfully, and the ratings attest to it.

• Members

oh man i can't help but think how awesome it'd be to have Dru walk through the doors of that hospital and just make everything right, take charge of Lily's treatments, be strong for everyone...

• Members

I totally agree, this show needs someone to tap into the rich tapestry of its characters, not over the top and ridiculous plot twists. This show has been missing heart for a while now, and none of these current head-writers have shown me they can write anything with emotional resonance that has any sufficient long-term impact.

I also agree on the blandness of the scripts. These characters are missing some unique elements that makes them all resemble the people we used to know and love. It does all go back to the HW's though and their horrible/wacky story ideas.

A Labine or Curlee would be a dream, but that will never happen, and both seem happier away from the industry. :(

We can only have hope that we'll get a better HW and EP soon...

• Administrator

That was good and what made it awesome was that we heard the long (full?) version of "Victor's theme" and we haven't heard it in a long time (months) so it was great hearing it again. I'm so going to clip that for the Backgroud Music Thread. :)

Yeah, he was pretty good in those scenes.

• Members

He's their shiny toy. They write for him because they like the actor and the character is new to them. Aside from this deadly dull Mac reunion, they ignore his previous history. I don't believe any of his family relationships and everything he does on the show has to be about him being a whiny baby. I'm also sick of him grimacing and bearing his teeth like he's going to bite someone.

The Nikki/Victor scene was a classic in the woman existing only for a man. Isn't it SO NICE that Victor no longer blames Nikki, even though, naturally, Nikki still blames herself? How noble of him. Nikki, one of Bill Bell's most prized creations, has spent almost a year now existing only as Victor's plaything.

• Members

I definitely think that the Phillip and Chance reveals, as well as the Deacon/Amber scene on Friday, are the low points. But the rest of it hasn't really rubbed me the wrong way. I like the walls closing in on Victor and Mary Jane, I like the Lily cancer story. I'm really intrigued by how Billy's involvement with Colleen and the Newman Board will play. And I don't know what Clementine Ford is slipping into her morning coffee lately, but she's been a lot more energetic in the last week of episodes, not nearly as monotone.

There are still a mess of problems, but I'm not screaming at the television like I was during the Phillip and Chance reveals.

• Members

Victor ALWAYS wins, so I know he'll come out smelling like roes in the end. Patty Jane has become annoying and one-note to me and seeing that spoiler I posted in the Potpourri thread, it makes the character even more irredeemable and written into a corner more than she already is.

Sick of Billy, and Colleen's board seat would have been an actual OK story, had it been told 3 months ago. Too many beats were dropped and it was completely ignored for months for me to be invested in it again. Not to mention this character isn't Colleen anymore and Tammin just sucks to me.

I like Mac better now, but she still has no chemistry with Billy, and most of her story has only realted to Billy, who is already stretched too thin.

I wouldn't even call Lily's story a "cancer" story. It's been completely about her reuniting with Cane and how it shatters her dreams regarding having kids. She really hasn't dealt with the cancer issue. It provided some nice family scenes, but a week later, Lily's already had her surgery and that all seems to be over now. So, is there going to be any long-term resonance regarding this cancer? From what I'm seeing now, I don't think so.

I'm glad some can find enjoyment in some of these stories, because I can't. This show just feels like one big hallow mess to me, no storyline is really grabbing me.

I guess we all watch for different things, eh?

Pretty much.

Exactly, this kind of writing, especially for Nikki who has already been phased out, is disgusting.

• Members

There was a hollowness to Victor and Jack's convo today, definitely. Their convo was stilted too, both waiting too many beats between lines to deliver the next one. Almost as if they couldn't believe what they were uttering (EB more so than PB, though).

I couldn't watch all of today's episode but of what I've seen, I think the Cane/Billy rivalry was so off today and very recently because the ptb aren't filling out the base, which I think is very solid. Miller has gotten these tics, which seemed to work before because they seemed natural, are now annoying. And what was with Cane pointing fingers at him? That was just a really weird scene all around. But they could play this rivalry for years if they further developed it.

I'm glad they haven't undermined Paul and his intelligence in the past few months. He, Katherine, and Nikki have got to be the least ruined characters under MAB and 'em. Sure Paul's never on but Michael's never on anymore either and the latter's become like Neil now that Lauren's never around: a go-fer heading annoying families.

Can someone hire a consultant on business and law so that this can be y&r again? Aren't independent contractors the go-to people in this economy? Whoever's on staff ain't gettin it done.

• Members

I'm so maddened that all of the characters in Y&Rfan's opening post annoys the ish outta me (except for Phyllis and Nikki).

When a soap's cast has 85% characters you wanna knock over the head with an anvil, it's time for an overhaul.

Or for me to stop watching.

• Members

From the crap MAB & Company have dished out to us, those aspects are not apart of her "vision" and her "show."

We need to give it up, there's never going to be big business umbrella stories with this current writing regime or characters using their workplace as something that could potentially drive sufficient story.

We aren't going to get that back unless we get a new writing regime that knows how to tell stories like that.

This writing regime has been there a year, and their idea of a business story is playing musicals chairs as to who the CEO of Jabot is, and this laughable Colleen on the Newman Board thing, which isn't even a story or a business story at that. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it...

• Members

The main reason I never believed in the Cane/Billy rivalry was because there was no buildup. Everything was contrived from the start. Chloe suddenly had a retcon history with Billy. Billy was suddenly in love with Lily. Billy suddenly resented Jill doting on Cane, even though he'd spent years not wanting to be a part of Jill's life. I felt like they were rivals only because someone thought wow, brothers as rivals, brothers with the same women. And there was nothing done to back up this concept. Their relationship as brothers had zero complexity, their relationships with Lily and Chloe were poorly defined and are still being rewritten months later. Now we get the same with Billy and Phillip (Billy resents him and dislikes him) and Billy and Chance (Billy resents and dislikes him). When does someone at Y&R ask why in the world Billy is even a part of this family? He hates all the men in his family, he doesn't like Jill, he doesn't like Chloe. Is he only tied to this family because they have him with Mackenzie? He has no remotely positive relationship of any kind with any of them with the exception of two people, and one of them (Katherine) he now has such a flimsy connection with that they had to make a production out of him being upset in the chapel while she was in the hospital. I keep thinking about that scene yesterday where Murphy had to plead with Cane to not upset Billy. It's like even they don't really want him around, they know how off he is.

His relationship with the Abbott has also been torched, he has never cared about Ashley and bringing that up again when it suits his agenda many months later is too late. What he did to Jack I doubt they will go back from. Colleen is a cipher.

They have managed to ruin nearly every relationship which this core character should have had. And yet he still keeps taking up airtime, repeating the same scene again and again and again.

Archived