Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Members

That had a lot to do with it. I thought these scenes felt very natural. I also liked the scene with Jill and Cane. I always buy this relationship because they showed from early on how close Jill and Cane were.

I find all this preferable to the hot air and huffing and puffing between Cane and Billy. Billy Miller never makes that stuff look natural, and something about him in many of these types of scenes is like a middle-aged man trying to pretend he's younger. If I had never seen Y&R I would be shocked to learn he's only in his mid/late 20s. I would think he was a 40+ year old man still bitter over the slights of his early years.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Brimike has probably callled it...the plot rush messes with the character moments. That said, Monday's show demonstrates the embers are still burning. Nina-Phillip, Billy-Mac, Neil-Dru, and even Jill-Cane...there were nice moments in there for each of 'em.

• Members

What's even sadder is that so many posters on a variety of message boards called it: Y&R would get dark and misogyny would rule. How these ideas

get the green light is beyond me. The thought of these idiots actually discussing and plotting any of these stories is laughable. We've had a wonderful reminder why this genre can be viewed as a joke.

• Members

I actually FF'd every moment of the scooby gang so I've got no thoughts on the debate. And since Y&R was very enjoyable that way, I think it might continue.

I have to give them credit in that Neil scene at the end, I SOOO thought they were going to have what's her name come over and give him a hug and everything, and I kept muttering "don't let her ruin the moment!" So when she walked out of the room, I was happy. And the fact this was the first time we'd seen her in the story works for me.

Cane's "Eddie Haskell" hair and outfit didn't do anything at all for me. It was forcing the "Cane the choir boy" image for me. But otherwise, I kinda actually felt for the dude.

Chloe is love. Seriously, she freaking ROCKS. And some of the best lines ever. I love her interacting with Nina, and all that. And I'm so glad we finally get to see her have fun and smile and all that (Liz seems to be enjoying herself too!) As much as I have enjoyed Chloe and BIlly, I'm over the moon excited that Chance is around and Chloe gets to do something besides follow Billy around.

• Members

I don't doubt that, but that is this writing regime's fault, no one elses.

Monday's episode was a different episode from the usual fare, so I wouldn't really group it in as a total representation of most storylines or everything happening on this show right now.

That said, one character focused episode a month isn't going to save this show or make it less rushed or plot driven...

• Members

I find myself surprised at how tolerable Cane is now that there are so many troubles on other parts. Had he been revealed as a conman and had he become a thrilling character it would have been good, but this way he remains the same dumb person he always was.

And we all know what will happen in a month... Lily will be her old bland self and Cane will be as dumb as always.

• Members

UGH, even the priest was pimping Cane and Lily's great love today.

I'm sick of Billy, they're throwing this character into too many different dynamics and situations at once. In this episode alone, there was Billy/Cane, Billy/Mac, and Billy/Jack/Paul. Damn, give this character time to breathe, please! I find the ties he has to his family to be completely hallow and lose.

So, Cane was back to his self-righteous and arrogant self with Billy today, talking about how Jill and Katherine trust him more, and how he'll always be picked before Billy. DIE CANE DIE! At least Billy is, you know, Jill's real son. I don't care how nice Cane has been to Jill, he still conned her for like 3 years and he never payed for it. Two weeks of this guilted saint act is not enough, sorry.

Can't they just focus on Lily's recovery? This story has become all about how Lily can't have kids, but wait she can! I find that to be more misogyny on this already woman-hating show. The idea that women are merely baby factories.

I feel NOTHING for anyone in this quad anymore. I'm so numb to them. Sharon, Phyllis, Jack, and Nick can all die. These characters need to be rested for a good 5 months and then throw into different orbits.

And what wedding video? Didn't Phyllis get arrested at that particular wedding?

These writers don't understand the Jack/Victor dynamic. Everytime Jack/Victor converse now, which has become rare even in this horrible Patty Jane story, it all feels hallow and completely plot-driven.

Whatever Patty Jane. I'm so over you and have NO SYMPATHY for your situation. You intentionally hurt a little girl, you're plotting revenge against someone who hurt you nearly 30 years ago, you sent a battered baby doll to Sharon, and you're increasingly more cartoon-like. Should I feel anything for you? All I feel is disgust and you're current homelessness does nothing to make me feel sorry for you. Another runied character that needs to be written out and rehabed before she's brought back.

Maybe Nikki's apology to Victor about David would have meant something if she hadn't DONE IT A MILLION TIMES BEFORE! This whole thing about Nikki getting blamed for David and Nikki hurting Victor is so sick and misogynistic. We all know Victor was the the that brought David to town, NOT NIKKI! Yet she gets all the blame. But I forgot, women are supposed to be inferior to men on this show.

Meh episode, too many problematic storylines and characters I'm beyond over at this point.

• Members

Well, I have to be honest with you, for my mother... this type of thing has ALWAYS been a thorn in her side from day 1 on this show. Women are ALWAYS getting pregnant to hold onto a man, female characters forever uttering dialogue like, "I'm carrying my husband's child", or "I want to give my husband a baby". My mother then screams at the TV, "What's this MY HUSBAND'S BABY? It's YOUR BABY, TOO!" It had always been a rare thing on this show for a woman on this show to get pregnant and have it NOT revolve completely around the man. Pain in the butt. I liked the end scene today... it was NOT about Nikki apologizing, it was about Victor FINALLY not blaming her anymore when it truly WAS his fault, and now that Patty Jane has blown up in his face, he finally is feeling the bitter sting of guilt for what his machinations have brought. I just want him to REALLY PAY. Having said all that.... the best part of today's episode was the ginormous bulge in Doug Davidson's jeans. He just gets better and better! He looks like he's smuggling and armadillo in there!

• Members

Yes, it would be nice if soaps stopped using baby stories for a little while. On Y&R alone, Sharon is pregnant, Ashley thinks she's pregnant, Lily thought because of her cancer she could no longer get pregnant, Delia's birth was a whose the daddy story too, Lily miscarried just last year, Sabrina and her unborn fetus died a year ago and that's still mentioned a lot. Damn, they just need to lay off the pregnancies and miscarriages for a few months.

Didn't Victor and Nikki finally find peace at Katherine's wedding over this situation? In both cases, he was still an ass. I'm willing to bet if he hadn't felt guilty about bringing another criminal to town (Patty Jane), he would have treated Nikki a lot worse and put more blame on her.

That's so you. :lol::lol::lol:

Thankfully, he wasn't wearing his glasses today.

• Members

Nikki needs her own storyline. Even before her contract drama, they've been feeding her these throwaway scenes about Victor or Katherine. Who did Melody piss off at this show?

How about, you know, developing Nikki and Paul's relationship ON-SCREEN? 90% of their relationship has taken place off-screen. They need to give some characters storylines that haven't been seen or fully utilized in a while.

I know Melody's "exit" (before she returns) is coming up and we should see more of her then, but it's still not a story.

Archived