Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Members

I would have enjoyed that more if there was any balance in the writing for Jill, or if she had a perspective of her own. Instead they just have her walk right into these predictable one-liners. And I also think that in this new Y&R history, where Jill is always in the wrong (aside from supporting Cane) and Katherine is always good, they left viewers open to the implication that she conned both of her children's fathers into marriage. I've seen some say that she did this to Phillip and to John. She did not do that to Phillip, but the show does not ever present the true Phillip/Jill relationship that often now. I'm sure that thanks to this new, shrewish/pathetic Jill who is constantly on show, many newer fans probably believe she was on some mission to steal poor Katherine's husband from the start.

I also wonder if Nina will be so chummy with Chloe if she does to Chance what she did to some of the other men in her life. This new whitewashed version of Chloe I don't buy.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God, this is why I hate this story. Because it just destroys message boards. It destroyed all the DOOL threads two years ago, and it's eating up all the Y&R threads now.

It's a bad story, but I've seen plenty of bad stories on soaps. I can live with them and move on to the next good/bad story. But it just takes all the fun out of discussing the show.

• Members

Deacon being on this show was already pretty polarizing to fans, the faster he leaves and Amber moves on, the better is is for everyone invovled. Kanan is recurring, so there's a good chance he won't be sticking around, thankfully.

But if he stays and Amber and him always cross paths and they refuse to acknowledge Amber's sexual assault, then it makes everything worse.

This storyline shouldn't have been done in the first place, especially since it was a huge flop that inspired a backlash against Sheffer elsewhere.

The Sobbies are boring and stupid as hell and their storylines tend to always be silly crap that won't go away. However, adding an offensive rape element that polarizes the audiences isn't helping these characters or their stories one bit.

• Members

:o:o:o

Soft-headed ignorant people?! Holy crap! Just because someone has a definition of rape that differs from yours, doesn't make them some brain-dead hick who has no idea what they're talking about. Criminy.

AF and SK aren't Eric Braeden and Melody Thomas Scott. They don't really have a say in it.

• Members

This show just needs to stop the constant victimization of women, period. You know it's bad when almost all of the storylines involve some woman being victimized.

I have no problem if it's one or two stories, but when it occurs so much and so often as it does on this show, it really makes you wonder.

These writers are unimaginative and from what they've shown me, they cannot write for strong women. Hell, I find the general character writing on this show to be atrocious right now. Everyone seems so personality-less and driven completely by plot. This is a major reason why I want to this current writing regime to be fired.

• Members

This is probably meant for the Potpourri thread, but I'm curious what you think of the two Bell writers these days, Alvin: Natalie Minardi Slater and Janice Ferri Esser. Do you include them in the "fire the hack writing regime" mantra?

• Members

This is why I can't watch the show anymore. The fact that we are actually debating whether or not something is rape. I don't even like Amber. I want that character off this show yesterday. As written, Amber is very very stupid. So stupid she's borderline retarded. Factor in her slow-witted nature plus her sincere belief that Daniel's life would be ruined or even over if she did not comply, then yes, she was raped by Deacon. Amber is so stupid and the story is stupid, it's not even worth a fight. What is worth noting is that Hogan Sheffer is [!@#$%^&*] douche-bag. This is the THIRD time he has written an is it or isn't it rape story. Once, I can let go. Two times, it's more difficult. Three [!@#$%^&*] times? No way. Everyone involved in bringing to screen that Fat Loser's third rape fantasy to screen should be ashamed of themselves. This is not how rape works in real life. In real life, stupid or not, a girl would like Amber would feel awful about enduring what Deacon put her through. She would feel hollowed out, dazed, self-hating, unable to be in her skin, suicidal even. I don't have a problem with a realistic rape story. Roger & Holly on GL is one of the greatest soap stories ever. I have a huge moral problem with someone presenting some kind of fantasy rape that's supposed to be get us all riled up and debating. That pisses me off. That's why the show is off my [!@#$%^&*] DVR list.

• Members

No, my mantra refers specifically to Maria, Hogan, and Scott. They're the ones responsible for these storylines, and especially Maria with her HW and Co-EP credit.

I've found the dialogue on this show to be atrocious lately, even Esser's scripts. There's something very soul-less and generic about the general dialogue right now. I just don't feel like most characters have anything resembling a personality currently. Everything seems to be about progressing plot, and the uniqueness of each character seems to be washed out. Yes, Esser is good with her history mentions and whatnot, but that only takes you so far. I think this writing regime drudges up history in a way to manipulate the audience into getting invovled in the storylines they're trying to push. The thing is, I don't think it works. In most cases, it either isn't needed or falls completely flat. Sometimes, especially in Esser's scripts, it feels like she's beating the audience over the head with it, and it does nothing to make me understand the characters and the way they speak better. But again, most of it goes back to these storylines, which I don't find rather interesting or creative anyway. I would struggle to write dialogue for this Patty Jane story, for this gaslighting story, for the flip-flopping quad that never learns, for the retcons, etc. There's just an overabundance of ridiculousness on this show right now and it definitely has to trickle down to the general dialogue.

I would have to know more about which specific breakdowns Slater wrote. Didn't she write Phillip III's first episode back? I found that to be a horrible episode with so many missed beats (non-pacing related, but also pacing related).

Again, my mantra just refers to the three HW's, and I agree with Sylph, when you're inexperienced and have that many Co-HW's, it's not a good thing...

However, if a better HW came in and wanted to trim this writing team down, I would totally be with it. The writing staff is huge and I feel in a team this big, so much gets lost in the shuffle and there's greater room for continuity errors and greater room for conflict of styles. If a new HW came in and wanted to assemble a smaller group of writers to carry out his/her vision, I think it would be more beneficial for the general day to day writing. But again, my major beef is with the HW's of this show.

• Members

I think a lot of that has to do with cramming so much plot into each episode, the script writer probably has no time to delve into character. They've got only a couple pages to get out as much information as possible. There's not a lot of room to breathe.

• Members

Yeah, which goes back to my main beef being with Maria, Hogan, and Scott. They have 5 days a week year round to tell their stories, what the hell is the rush? Surely they knew that cramming this much material into single episodes would make the show appear very disjointed and give their staff writers a harder time to really delve into the material.

Forget the pacing, what used to make Y&R unique was that it was so cohesive. They also had a small (when compared to most soaps) writing team that really knew one another and really knew the show and its characters. That kind of love and understanding of the characters showed on this show, even when some stories sucked or dragged on forever.

I'm very disappointed in this show, and I truly believe it deserves a better HW, even in the state daytime is in.

• Members

I think much of the writing comes across as not knowing the show's theme or its history. The attempts at history also seem hollow, like the "history" of a Victor/Ashley/Nikki triangle which isn't a triangle and where no one is written in character.

I did enjoy some of the small scenes in today's show. I had wanted to see more of the Phillip/Cane relationship, as they should be fairly close, based on their history. I was also glad to see Phillip finally tell Nina she was a good mother. And I think Thom Bierdz looked much better in Monday's episode, he didn't look as awkward.

• Members

Really? I had no idea. I'm stunned to hear this! :D:D:D

It helped to have a little back and forth. No screaming, no exposition. Just conversation. And the little flirting with the waiter thrown in just as Nina talked about Philip being the same guy she fell in love with - it was just a scene made up of little moments, instead of one big "Earth-shattering" dramatic moment that ended up falling flat. I'm glad it ended up on-screen that way.

Archived