Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Members

Watching the online version now.

I didn't find Victor-Jack stilted...at least, it made sense that they were guarded with one another. I like, as I always do, that the enemies have to work together against a common enemy. And boy will Jack be livid when he learns that he has taken all this guilt on himself ("I'm the common thread"), when VICTOR is the common thread.

On the other hand, they really seem to have firmly decided to make Billy the bad son. Miller can play this well, but I like it more when he can play a mix of charming and rascal. These days, he's more selfish self-involved rascal, without much charm.

I love Clementine. She's so gentle. I love her with Mary Jane. If only she could have been there for Mary Jane earlier...she might have prevented some of that descent into delusions. I loved when Mary Jane said, a little incredulous, "You really do want to help me! You know what it's like! I've been so alone." Of course one wonders how sincere she is...given that she figured out Mac's connection to the Abbott's. But I'd prefer to think the best of her.

It is the Paul-Nikki relationship that, to me me, feels hollow. I know the actors could play it better, and I know MTS was getting prepared to be written out...so I understand the causes. But it is a major regret for me that we didn't see the Paul-Nikki relationship play out.

Am I the only one who, while glad they scripted a minister, found the guy to be irritating as hell?

It also bugs me that the first words out of Lily's mouth--both to the preacher and to Cane--are "I can't have children". YES, that is sad! But the other stuff ("I still have cancer, I have a better chance of dying than living') should be a lot more paramount for her now.

I am surprised that everyone seems to have forgiven Cane awfully easily. If so, why did they even bother setting him up as a con-with-a-heart, if he doesn't have to fight his way back to respectability.

It seems obvious to me that Tyra will eventually serve as a surrogate for Lily and Cane (to worm her way into the clan)...and drama will result.

Knowing just a little about the neurology of language, I find Summer's symptoms very unrealistic. But I appreciate that the show is sticking with the symptoms and playing the fallout...even as I hate Mary Jane for poisoning her. At least Summer has fallout. Kay's stroke residuals seem to have disappeared.

I enjoyed the Paul-Jack scenes. Since Paul is struggling with this overwhelming sense of familiarity, why doesn't he undergo hypnosis? That would be a legitimate use in this situation. But then I guess the story would be over too soon.

I'm with those of you here who wish Nikki would stop self-flagellating over David Chow, especially since Victor is the one who brought him into their lives. But it is nice to see him agonizing, as others have said, over what he started with Mary Jane.

And te previews warmed my heart: "Don't be your father!"

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No surprise there.

Wasn't it alleged Adrienne Leon was fired because of her "weight gain?" Maybe karma will hopefully work its way back over to this "recast."

The fact that they've dropped this storyline a million times since February to accommodate TS's film schedule and now they're playing it like once a week is telling about their utter incompetence. At this point, who cares? What kind of storytelling is that?

• Members

I FINALLY like Clementine Ford. She's not Rachel Kimsey good, but I'd be happy to have her continue in the role indefinitely.

I actually think the show is pretty good right now but that's the last time I'll toot that horn. :D

I still don't get why the accent bothers some people. Daytime has plenty of actors with inexplicable accents (B&B's Jacqueline MacInnes Wood [Canadian] and Winsor Harmon [southern], for instance). But again, touchy subject, so I won't say any more.

• Members

Yes, a touchy subject for some, but at least Canadian and Southern accents are North America accents, not something representative of another continent, especially when the role is an American role.

I never thought Ford was that bad, Mac is just a bland as hell and monotone role. I hate this forced Billy/Mac reunion and I think both actors are much better apart than together.

• Members

Yeah, she's finally relaxing a bit. Like I've said, she'll never win an Emmy or anything, but she's a lot less tense and uptight lately. It's been refreshing. Makes me wonder if it was all a conscious choice on her part to act monotone, and she was saving this for when she and Billy were in love. I think they're a terrible couple, but at least when they eventually break up, I'll be on board with her.

Careful! Them's fightin' words around these parts! :D Seriously, I'm not thrilled with it, but I don't think it's the pile of vomit others do. I'd give it a C-. Which is better than the F I was giving it three weeks ago.

• Members

Oh, I thought she was the best one in that role, but make no mistake, I've always found the character to be bland and lifeless. AshBash was just the perfect actress for the this role at the time, IMO. If she wanted to come back, I'd take her back.

Around most message boards, I'd say.

Is there a grade lower than an F I can give this crappy show? :unsure:

You gave this show an F 3 weeks ago? I'd never know it, you seem to be its biggest champion right now here at SON. :P

• Members

Not watching the show but wanted to comment on a few things anyway! :lol:

I can't stand TS' accent. She doesn't even try to hide it. It takes me completely out of the scene whenever she opens her mouth. I don't expect perfection a la Simon Baker and Hugh Laurie, but I expect a serious effort and improvement over time. Can't she invest in a class? As for Canadian accents, I *wish* Colleen had a Canadian accent instead of what we have now. A gal from the Upper Midwest sounding Canadian? We can work with that -- it's close enough.

Billy Miller's Billy Abbott becomes less and less impressive the more you watch him. Yeah, he has charisma but his character is more annoying than intriguing. I don't know if it's Mac or the writing or BM not being sure how to play things, but he is not nearly as much fun as he used to be.

• Members

That's because you don't read my posts, you just leap all over me like I'm some Pollyanna every time I say I like a scene. :P

I said the Phillip reveal was terrible. The story rushed. Chance's entrance was quite possibly the worst episode of soap I've seen in a long time, and that's including ATWT and GL episodes over the last year. They missed every possibly emotional beat. I thought Chloe kissing Chance in his second episode was a bad, bad, bad, bad move, and I've gone on record NUMEROUS times as saying I think repeating the Deacon/Amber story is completely stupid, and a horrible decision made by people who clearly don't keep track of the rest of the daytime landscape, and remember what happened with EJ and Sami.

I can go back and find these posts, if you'd like. :)

• Members

To give this show an F three weeks ago would infer that the majority of your posts were completely negative during that time period. I don't think they were, you've always gone on and on about what you liked more than what you hated, from what I've observed. Nothing wrong with that, but that was my personal observation.

Yes, that's true, but you seemed more positive about this show than most in this thread were and are now.

No need too. :)

• Members

The reason the accent bothers me so much is because I find it absolutely impossible to get into a scene and the dialogue when everything is pronounced with a distinctive Aussie twang. Actors are supposed to be convincing con men and women, who can get us to believe that they are a character. Winsor Harmon is just as awful and totally unsuited to the role of LA born and bred Thorne Forrester. That is proven day in and day out by how often he has been used on that show since his romance with Brooke ended. A romance that survived only based on his chemistry with his leading lady. If someone wanted to bring TS onto Y&R, and have her be liked, they should have brought her on as a good friend of Cane's, possible confidant to Lily, and let her use her own accent and distinguish herself in a role that she was believable in. Y&R really screwed her over by shoving her into a role that is not a good fit.

Y&R is so fantastic lately that I'm almost thinking that Jack is going to beat pregnant Sharon to a bloody pulp when he finds out that baby isn't his. Maybe he'll force himself on her while he's at it.

• Members

Is Phillip III on anymore this week? I can't stand hearing him talk, I wish he'd spit out those marbles in his mouth!

Cane is even more unbearable, especially after today's episode. I feel so bad for Billy, I wish he'd punch him in the face, again. The treatment he gets from Jill is ridiculous, I'd love it if he convinced Chloe to move out of the mansion and keep the baby away from Jill since she obviously favors Cane, her non-son more over her own son.

Archived