Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Monday's ep shows there is still hope!

This time last year,we had Katherine,Jill, Esther and Cane representing the Chancellors.

Today,there was also Murphy,Chloe,Billy,Mac,Phillip,Chance and Nina.

I really enjoyed it,It was classic soap.

Tricia Cast should be given a lifetime contract.She is beyond fabulous!!

• Members

I just wish they actually wrote for the Chancellor family in a way which is not so plot-driven. Chloe rarely has substantial scenes with Esther, and they are now writing her only as being torn between two men. Jill and Katherine still barely have a relationship beyond bickering and Jill being bratty. Billy and Jill only have scenes at family gatherings or when it's time for him to tell her again about what a bad mother she is. Mackenzie and Katherine have very brief scenes, usually involving brilliance such as her saving Katherine's life by checking her blood pressure. Murphy is just a support system for Katherine. Phillip can barely get past the chip on his shoulder to bother talking to some of his family, and Nina's relationships with Jill and Katherine are now sidetracked to focus her on Phillip and Chance.

I miss the days when there were some dynamics with the families on Y&R.

• Members

I didn't get a chance to post in last week's thread, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here. BUT.....I like the premise of the Deacon/Amber dynamic, but (again) it's moving waaay too fast. :mad:

Daniel suddenly realizing that he wants to marry Amber once he gets out of prison? Fine. Good. That revelation to the viewers should have had a few weeks to brew. BUT. On top of that, Amber decides to sleep with Deacon in ONE EPISODE? And apparently, there may be some fallout from that TODAY? GMAMFB already. This is GL-style rushed storytelling and it sucks the big one. How do they expect anyone to give a [!@#$%^&*] about this story when it's so rushed? Ugh.

It's almost like there are two different writers - the slow one that wrote Katherine's "death" story and the Silver Chipmunk and the fast writer that's responsible for Victor returning from Mexico and now this story.

That being said, I really enjoyed EH/Chloe with JD/Chance on Friday. "Betcha never been kissed like that before" !! :lol::lol:

• Members

I actually think this is the one and only time moving on to the next beat quickly is a good idea. The problem with EJ/Sami on Days (Well - one of many problems, I should say) was that for months, Sami ran around screaming "rape" to EJ before Lucas found out the truth of what happened that night. And it did the story/debate NO favors. Frankly, the way those scenes were written and directed on Friday was SO disturbing, I'm more than happy to get to Daniel finding out, so we can all move on. The sooner, the better.

• Members

I don't think we can ever move on as long as both Deacon and Amber are on the show together and in each other's orbits. It's always going to be a reminder of the time he took advantage of her sexually.

But whatever, this whole storyline has been a flop from the beginning, the rape, and everything that comes after it just adds to its stupidity and utter uselessness.

• Members

In some ways this is even more disturbing than a violent rape. I can't imagine being coerced into pretending to enjoy it and preform for the person who is forcing me *shudders*. Between what's been done to Ashley, the bizarre MJ stuff, Amber's rape, continued chipmunk references, the quad and Lily having cancer, I have to admit Y&R is losing me. Lily's story is half way decent, but on top of all this other depressing stuff, it's a little too much to take. I find that I no longer watch ASAP, like I was for awhile. Episodes are starting to languish on my DRV a couple of days before I watch.

• Members

Today's episode, minus the STUPID Amber/Daniel/Deacon crap and the boring and annoying Cane propping was one of the most enjoyable in a while. It wasn't a major episode, but it primarily focused on the family dynamics of the Chancellor family. Also, Chloe was a primary focus, and she's just a fun character. Yes, like the other characters on this show, she's sometimes on the unsympathetic side, but Liz just makes me root for the character despite any writing choices. And she's fun, she's not a psycho, and though she's obsessed with Billy, it's not as disturbing as Phyllis and Sharon's obsession with winning Nick. Also, it helps they they aren't making him a victim to the extent of other women on this show.

But, it's obvious the the Chancellor family dynamics are the only family dynamics Maria and her henchmen are set out on exploring. The family dynamics for the Abbots and Newman have been weak, hallow, or useless for a while now. She doesn't appear to be interested in exploring the dynamics of those families fully, and that's a big shame.

This Amber/Daniel/Deacon mess is just degrading and one big set up to put all the blame on Amber and make her one huge victim, AFTER her rape, mind you. This story is stupid. Deacon needs to be written out, and this storyline needs to end, fast!

Ugh, I can't stand anymore Cane propping. So now, Kay forgives him and welcomes him into the family 3 weeks after he was exposed as a fraud? I can take them welcoming back Phillip III, since he's actual family and they missed two decades with him, but his impostor? Really? But I forgot, part of this story is about telling us what a nice guy Cane is and how we need to accept him as part of the family. :rolleyes:

The Lily storyline continues to be the only story on this show with any heart, though it too has its flaws.

End Billy and Mac please, these actors are so much better apart than together.

Damn, why is Y&R trying to give people false hope about Phillip III/Thom Bierdz leaving in one episode to take it away by the end? :mad::lol:

All in all, it was kind of nice not seeing some one-note psycho today, a woman being blatantly victimized, new retcons, chipmunk crap, and other stupidity that this show is known for these days on today's US episode. Too bad the nonsense is back tomorrow. :rolleyes:

• Members

I see what you're saying. Although rape has been over-used on soaps in the past, I still think a compelling story could be told with Daniel/Amber/Deacon but they are telling it too fast. Rape is very disturbing, but the story can be told intelligently - and has (Roger/Holly, Roger/Rita) in the past. The dynamics are there now on Y&R to have a compelling story with these three. But they should have given us more reasons WHY Deacon popped up after all these years just to rape Amber. What are his motivations? Additionally, even before Daniel was arrested we should have seem some inkling from him that he was thinking marriage to Amber. Then his stint in prison would have been his game-changer and realized how important to him she is. Finally, Amber should have wrestled with the decision to get Daniel out of prison by going to Deacon ALOT longer.

It happened too fast. I think if they would have taken their time with the story that a lot of us would be liking it right now. But now all we see is the rape. It sucks cuz it could a been good.

Archived