Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm thinking of the old Llanfair set specifically, I think. Or maybe it was the only set, I have no idea. I would never have recognized it in its modern form following the '80s, but in material from the '70s and early-mid '80s it definitely looks like the Old House.

• Members

I strongly doubt that the set used for Llanfair in the 1960s and 1970s was from the Dark Shadows set.  One Life to Live began the summer of 1968, while Dark Shadows did not end until spring of 1971.

I am pretty sure that the set for Llanfair was changed at some point.   I cannot remember when, but it may have been after the secret room was discovered in the 1980s.

I also am not sure who the set designer was for One Life to Live at the time it began.  I do know that Dark Shadows was the only ABC soap opera that had a real operating fire place until One Life to Live came on the air.  

The late Sy Tomashoff was the set designer for Dark Shadows.  He later became one of the show's producers.  He also was a temporary set designer for The Edge of Night.   I do not know when this was, but I have strongly suspected that it may have been in the early 1960s.   The set of Mike Karr's living room had a door then steps down to the rest of the room.   That also was used on Dark Shadows in the Evans cottage as well as other sets - but not Collinwood or (my favorite Dark Shadows set) the caretaker's cottage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In this episode, Dixie Carter's voice sounds so much like Beverlee McKenzie. I had never noticed that before. I could actually close my eyes, and imagine it was Beverlee speaking -- not every single line, but many of them.  Anyone else notice this?

Edited by Neil Johnson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A good summary of happenings around late 1969/early1970

During the past few weeks the suspense has been unbearable I keep gnawing my nails and wondering if Stephanie Martin is actually going to murder Nicole Travis. I really don’t think so, for somehow there is the impression that Nicole is going to win Adam Drake away from Susan Forbes and sureiy she won’t be killed before that happens. I can't be sure though.

Anything can happen in Monticcello and usually does. Nicole, Stephanie. Susan and Adam all live there and are a part of probably the most dramatic and involved program on television -  it’s a soap opera called "The Edge of Night" and it originates from CBS each weekday between 3:30 and 4 pm. The show has been running for a few years now and there Is always a crisis or two in various stages of development at any given time.

Right now the plot centres around the threat to Nicole’s life. Nicole is the daughter of Ben Travis, a kingpin in a nation-wide loan shark operation who is presently in prison. Nicole was unaware of her father's criminal activities. She has settled in Monticello and opened a ladies' wear boutique in partnership with Susan Forbes and Adam Drake is messing around with both of them. During the past few months a mysterious stranger has been telephoning Nicole quoting Shakespeare and threatening her. More recently attempts on her life have been made, and it was during one such attempt that Nancy Karr was shot.

Nancy is the wife of Mike Karr a law partner with Adam Drake. Anyhow it was recently revealed that the person menacing Nicole is none other than Stephanie Martin, who works of all places in the boutique owned by Nicole and Susan, Stephanie is a young widow who lost her husband, son and one twin daughter in a car crash awhile back, Apparently the crash somewhat deranged Stephanie so that she not only wants to kill Nicole but in the meantime had unbalanced the surviving daughter Debbie who is a patient at the Haywood Institute fur emotionally handicapped children.

The plot thickens. So does the cast.Enter Liz Hillyer. a poor little rich girl who is working at the institute and who has taken a persona! interest in Debbie. The institute director Dr Jim Field doesn't realize it but he is in love with Liz. So is Vic Lamont, a lawyer and a junior member of the law firm of Karr and Drake.He has a manslaughter charge in his past but that's not important to this plot. Liz is the daughter of Orin Hillyer who is presently off somewhere on holidays with his second wife Julie Jamieson. Julie had been freed from a charge of murder just prior to the trip and Orin's first wife was killed a few seasons ago as the result of another scandal. Orin needs a holiday!

Monticello police under the direction of Chief Bill Marceau have been keeping a haphazard eye on Nicole. Bill and his wife Martha are close personal friends of the Karrs. Martha works for Bill at police headquarters. Assisting Martha with the office duties is Cookie Christopher, a sister of Nancy Karr and wife of Ron. Ron used to be connected with the loan shark business but eventually helped to expose it. He also saved Lori Ann Karr, Mike’s daughter when she was kidnap[ed but that was the second last crisis.

Ron is now in a new business in partnership with Duane Stewart who just happens to have once been married to Nicole but divorced Nicole to marry Pamela. He has has since found out that he is still in love with Nicole. Susan Forbes is happy about this. Ron Christopher has some connection with Stephanie Martin and it is becoming apparent that Stephanie’s husband has been killed by the loan sharks and that Ron might know something about it.

While all this has been going on in the background recuperating has been Phil Capice who was brutally beaten and in a coma for months for trying to help Mike Karr break the loan shark operation.This caused all sorts of trouble between the Karrs and the Capices but it was resolved when Phil gained consciousness. Phil’s nurse Mrs Lydia Holliday really wasn’t a nurse and kept him in a weakened condition so she’d have a steady job. And then Calvin the houseboy goes and elopes with Sarah. Phil’s daughter. Anyhow within a few days or so we should know if Stephanie will fell Nicole with a bullet or with poisoned wine.... And who says television is not relevant?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's the third episode Sharon Gabet (Raven) posted on her youtube channel. She was supposed to drop another episode last night but it's not up yet. This one is from Sept 1976. Don't miss Sharon's comments in the posts! She has lots to say in addition to being very funny.  She also posts on her FB page and has dropped some back stage gossip.  For example, in FB post she addresses P&G firing Henry Slesar.  

Sharon's comment to a fan on facebook:

Henry was KING when I started. And he was a hands on writer meaning he watched the show every day and used what actors were giving him for character direction. He wrote me a couple times about how much he loved my input for Raven and how I had made him take a 180 degree turn with his writing of her. But the switch to ABC began to change things... And Gloria Monty's new, faster paced production values at GH shifted ALL of the soaps in the 80s. Henry's slow paced, detail rich mystery writing style was fading out. Henry was very angry when he was fired. He said no one ever told him to shift his style which he certain could have done. They just axed him. Henry with 15 years behind him had seen soaps go through cultural changes so it was sad to me that he never got a chance to grow through the 80s with his beloved EDGE of NIGHT. My take is that P&G wanted to get rid of it.