Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

Forty six years ago on December 1, 1975, The Edge of Night moved from CBS  to ABC to make room for the expanded As the World Turns. 
This nail in the coffin was a result of poor decisions from CBS and especially Proctor and Gamble.  Moving Edge’s time slot to accommodate P and Gs plan to have all their soaps in a block resulted in lost viewers.  Then there was supposedly no room to put Edge in another time slot when ATWT expanded because P and G didn’t want their soaps to compete on other networks (like Another World).  They could have done more to keep it

I wonder if it would have done better at ABC at 3:30 instead of 4 where many affiliates preempted it   One Life to Live could have moved to 2:30   They had not expanded to 45 minutes yet although plans may have been in place 

Edited by TVFAN1144

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In 1980 after they ended the ill-fated 90 minute version of Another World and moved it from 2:30 Eastern to 2:00 and begat Texas running at 3.  The Young and the Restless expanded to 1 hour around the same time airing at 1-2 pushing ATWT to 2-3 opposite AW and Guuding Light 3-4 opposite Texas

I’m still saying CBS claimed they couldn’t move EON to 3,3:30, or I suppose 4 because it would compete against P and G s Another Would and Somerset breaking the sponsors no compete rule

However ABC didn’t seem to have a problem not complying with P&Gs rule

Edited by TVFAN1144

• Members

There are more Soap Opera Books out there based on AMC!

yes there is a book out there of Search of Tomorrow 

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Tomorrow-Faith-Baldwin/dp/B000CBKVO2

i own that myself. I’m a collector. I try to hunt down every book/magazine and soap opera stuff I can find and afford. I bid on that Edge book on eBay but they are already at 103 Dollr.. Like wth?

Please register in order to view this content