Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Variety reported that in early 1965 CBS was pondering moving Edge of Night to primetime but putting plans on hold to see how Peyton Place on ABC held up.

The upshot was instead they went with the ATWT spinoff Our Private World.

Wonder how the EON run would have worked out? Would it be a spinoff of some sort as I can't see them dropping Edge in the daytime.

• Members

Actor Patrick Horgan (Ansel Scott) passed away this morning.

Actor Patrick Horgan (Ansel Scott) passed away this morning.

His wife shared the following on Facebook:

This morning in the wee hours, John Patrick Finnbar Horgan left this world. His death from heart failure was peaceful. This was his favorite picture of one of the happiest times of his life as he sat in the garden of a house we rented in Ireland, holding a can of Harp beer in his hand, watching James and his cousin Olivia at the ages of 4 and 5 cavort in the stream that ran below. He lived the life he wanted right up to the end and was spared much suffering for which I am so grateful. He will be missed by many but his legacy will live on in a website that his sons James and Christopher will get up and running soon. On the website will be a recording of his reading of Finnegans Wake, one of the crowning achievements of his over thirty year career of recording books for the blind. RIP my dear Hargoo, let flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest. ❤️

• Members

I don't know about the Facebook post, but several sources have subsequently reported Patrick Horgan's death.  I went to YouTube and watched his final "Edge" appearance as Ansel Scott in early 1983, when he told Ian Devereaux, "I'm sorry, my dear boy, but I'm alive and well and haven't heard from Raven in the past three years."  He was mighty suave, urbane, and sleazy in his scene.  lol.  

While I was at it, I made the TRAGIC MISTAKE of re-watching the transition from Henry Slesar to Lee Sheldon in late May/early June of 1983.  Gosh, it's immediately horrible.  It's the worst short-term deterioration of a soap that I've ever seen.  (Viewers who saw the shaky hand-held camera transition to Peapack on "Guiding Light" might disagree!) 

My siblings and I were teenagers in the summer of 1983, and I can remember watching an episode of "Edge" that left us all cringing at how amateurish and thrown-together it looked.  We joked that it appeared Henry Slesar had allowed his ten-year old nephew to write it.  The scenes were sloppy and disjointed, most of the dialogue seemed utterly pointless, all the sequences were  short and haphazard, and the majority of the scenes were underscored with cheesy, outdated music that completely worked AGAINST the mood being set by the (childlike) dialogue.  We just couldn't believe what we were seeing.  Our beloved, sophisticated, witty "film noir" show had suddenly, overnight, degenerated into the crappiest piece of mundane garbage we'd ever seen on television.  At the end of the episode, the credits rolled, and it said "written by Lee Sheldon".    I remember shaking my head and saying, "It's evidently a writer's strike, and this poor guy is the best they could find on short notice."

I've been thinking I maybe misjudged him.  Perhaps he wasn't as awkwardly bad as I'd remembered.  He was.  You can tell Slesar's final episode and Sheldon's first episode without even watching the credits.  It's plumb awful.  

• Members

Sheldon had his moments for sure.  I think the subliminal messages could've been effective, but as you noted, he bungled it.  The "Alice in Wonderland" sequence at the end of the show was probably somewhat stupid, but was an effective way to conclude a mystery show.  It was just his day-to-day plotting, scene structure, "humor" and dialogue -- yikes!  

• Members

In one of Lee Sheldon's first episodes, the Preacher Emerson character delivers this long speech about his father (Del Emerson) conducting a wedding of "gator wrestlers" on the "Florida/Louisiana border".   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's about 175 miles from extreme western Florida to extreme eastern Louisiana.  There's two entire Gulf States (Alabama and Mississippi) in between Florida and Louisiana.  Lee Sheldon was too stupid (or lazy) to look at a map and see that there's no such thing as a Florida/Louisiana border.  It's just scene after scene of complete nonsense that doesn't advance the plot, doesn't make any sense, and completely fails at being humorous.  I've never seen anything like it.