Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

I don't believe these photos were from April 1984. Henry Slesar was fired in March 1983; he would not have been in attendance at the 1984 celebration, and unlikely he would have attended an April 1983 celebration since he had just been fired).  Lee Sheldon was head writer.  This may have been 1982 or earlier.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's two vampires going out for a festive New Years Eve bash 

Really, it's Margaret Colin playing Paige Madison on "Edge" in costume as the ingenue in "Mansion of the Damned", being seduced by Lee Godart playing Eliot Dorn on "Edge" in costume as Satan in "Mansion of the Damned".  

• Members

Actress Joan Copeland, who played Mary Appleton on The Edge of Night in 1959, has passed away.

Joan Copeland, Broadway Star and Soap Opera Actress, Dies at 99

HER ALIBI, Joan Copeland, 1989. ©Warner
©Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett C

Joan Copeland, who graced both the stage and screen for decades as a Broadway star and soap opera actress, died the morning of Jan. 4 in her New York City home, Copeland’s family confirmed to Variety. She was 99.

Copeland’s career included performances on numerous daytime soap operas — including “Search for Tomorrow” (1967-72) “Love of Life” (1960-63), “The Edge of the Night” (1956) and “How to Survive a Marriage” (1974).

As one of the first members of The Actors Studio, she made her Broadway debut in 1948 as Nadine in “Sundown Beach.” Her other Broadway credits include “Detective Story,” (1950) “Coco,” (1969) and “45 Seconds From Broadway” (2001).

Copeland was the sister of playwright Arthur Miller, who died in 2005. She appeared in one of Miller’s plays, “The American Clock” (1980), a performance for which she earned a Drama Desk award.

“From the time I was a little girl I had the stage bug,” Copeland told The New York Times in 1981. “It was like a big dream, like kids who want to fly to the moon today. Perhaps I was unconsciously influenced by my brother. He had made it. I was desperate to get out of the dreariness I was living in.”

Still, Copeland worked to separate her career from her brother’s — which influenced her to take on the stage name “Joan Copeland.”

“I did not want to trade on my brother’s name,” she told the Times.

While most of Copeland’s career was on the Broadway stage and in television series, she also made it to the big screen. Her first film, Paddy Chayefsky’s “The Goddess” (1958), was said to be based on Miller’s second wife (and Copeland’s onetime sister-in-law) Marilyn Monroe. In addition, Copeland appeared in “Roseland” (1977), “A Little Sex” (1982), “The Object of My Affection” (1998) and as the voice of Tanana in Disney’s “Brother Bear” (2003).

She is survived by her son, Eric Kupchik, and her niece, actress Rebecca Miller.

• Members

i've read that before but never seen it verified.

My understanding is that ABC wanted to replay EON late night. 

My guess is  some sort of deal was in the works for those involved to receive minimum payments as this was new territory and probably there was no compensation payments agreement set up.

ABC saw this as a chance to pay peanuts and make extra money on the deal compared to primetime reruns.

Donald May was probably the most outspoken at what he saw as exploitation of soap actors and the blame was pinned on him for it not going ahead.

Just speculation...

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Well then he was off the show shortly after either by his choice or the show’s.  I loved his character 

But the unique thing about daytime  is that it is supposed to be an ensemble effort.  Good or bad no one is irreplaceable.   So if actors start to get demanding they are plotting their own demise. I don’t know if Donald May was like that or not. And even though painful the show (and others with similar situations) survived.  Joel Corruthers was basically the replacement 

And lord knows in the current cost cutting climate the attitude seems to be they are lucky to have a contract that continues to the next day

Edited by TVFAN1144
Changed actor name