Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ask her please then why she didn't do more soaps? Please, her Beauty and talent still could have been valuable to any soap many years after she stopped and if she still has anything from her Days on Days lol

Marion Brash who also played a few roles along the years on The show also died around the same time

• Members

I do not think that Geraldine ever hated Raven.   She was friends with Nadine, and she hated that Raven hurt Kevin Jamison.   But, I do not recall any hate.

Likewise, she had no hate for her daughter-in-law Tiffany.  She seemed to enjoy mothering Raven and Tiffany.

• Members

Y&R was "first", although the stories were vastly different.  By 1975, Phillip Chancellor was dead, and Kay Chancellor and Jill Foster each blamed the other for his death.  

Raven appeared in 1976.  Geraldine never hated her, though.  Geraldine was often OUTDONE with Raven, due to Raven's immature antics.  

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Actor/writer Paul Vincent appeared on The Edge of Night as Ashley Reynolds.   He was also on Dark Shadows and All My Children.

A heart-warming and compelling story!

(The Magazine Plus Editorial):- Bologna, Italy Mar 21, 2022 (Issuewire.com) – Actor-writer Vincent Romeo has released his latest book titled ‘My Villa in Calabria’, which chronicles his journey through his father’s hometown in Italy and leads him to shocking revelations about his father. A heart-warming and gripping narrative with a dash of sense of humour keeps the readers engaged till the very end.
“What seemed to be a fairly simple journey returning his father’s remains for burial to his hometown in the south of Italy spent enjoying all the wonderful art and architecture of Italy took a very different turn as the author began unraveling the mystery of his father,” said Vincent.
The book unfolds the story of Tony Romeo, a daytime series actor living in New York City who travels to Italy to honour his mother’s unusual request. The story depicts a strenuous relationship between him and his father, which took a pleasant change after his trip to Italy.
Published by Proisle Publishing Service in July 2021, the author has received a lot of admiration for this emotionally charged novel from readers worldwide. The book will next be seen at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair in March 2022.
“Bologna is one of the world’s biggest and most prestigious publishing events, and I’m honoured to showcase my book at the fair. This fair holds a special place as it takes place in Italy.” Vincent added.
A message that Vincent wants to drive home with this book is ‘travel to achieve an inner change.’ Available on Amazon and Barnes&Noble, the book is gaining popularity among readers.

About the Author
Vincent Romeo, aka Paul Vincent, is an actor and writer who has appeared in five Broadway productions, many off-Broadway productions, many regional theatre productions. He was “Ashley Reynolds” in The Edge of Night, “Dr. Karl Maynard” in How To Survive Marriage, and “Tony Bisbee” in All My Children. Two of his plays have been produced: The Fig Tree and Duse Died in Pittsburgh. He performs in an autobiographical evening of song and gossipy show business stories on YouTube: Paul Vincent in “An Actor’s Life for Me.”
A graduate of the Carnegie-Mellon Drama Department, Vincent was born in Cleveland, Ohio and now resides in New York City.
277219437_5062542037126414_2779901477737

277296686_5062556513791633_4211469793898

• Members

OBITUARY

Actor Jeanne Boland Schmidt of ‘Edge of Night’ Was 95

BY THE INDEPENDENT 

After a brief illness, Jeanne Ethelwyn Katherine Boland Schmidt died on March 29, 2021 at Hospice by the Sea in Boca Raton, Fla. Her death was confirmed by her daughter Kimberly. She was 95.

Because of pandemic-related difficulties in coordinating memorial arrangements, which had been planned for the one-year anniversary of her death, the report of her death was delayed until now.

Obit-photo-Jeanne-Schmidt-225x300.jpeg
Jeanne Schmidt.

Born in Chicago on Feb. 16, 1926, the youngest of four children of Dr. John E. Boland and Ethel Johnson Boland, Jeanne was raised in a rowdy Irish Catholic family. After 12 years at a Catholic convent school, she studied acting at Northwestern University, where she pledged the Tri Delta sorority. She graduated in 1948.

Among her friends and classmates were Paul Lynde, Charlotte Rae, and Cloris Leachman. A young Sheldon Harnick wrote her a solo song to perform in the big Waa-Mu musical revue on the Northwestern campus. After graduation, she moved to New York where she acted in numerous early television dramas and soap operas.

She married John G. Flack of Bronxville, N.Y. in 1951. Her acting career was put on hold after she was dismissed from a set by the director for “not holding her stomach in.” She was five months pregnant at the time. Divorced with three daughters under five years old to support, Jeanne returned to acting in soap operas, including The Edge of Night.

Her marriage to Roger Schmidt in 1961 brought three stepsons and, two years later, a new son. When the family moved from Connecticut back to New York City, Jeanne worked for Mayor Ed Koch in Gracie Mansion as an event planner. Subsequently, she opened a successful art gallery in Easthampton that featured local artists. Her gallery organized benefits for artists with AIDS in the early days of the epidemic.

She and Roger traveled widely over the many years of their marriage, including 10 years living in Hawaii, where she supplemented the family income by making commercials. She also swam a half mile in the ocean daily and played tennis well into her 70s.

Jeanne was active, courageous, and lucky. She survived the crash of a commercial jetliner in the Caribbean in 1970, and less than a year later she flew to Africa, with help from her purse-sized vodka nips. She went to Haiti as a volunteer with a medical mission when she was 75.

Because she “wanted another chapter,” she moved to Provincetown when she was 84. She loved the sea, art, and gay men, who were often her closest friends since college days. Her glamor and sarcastic wit were welcomed in Provincetown.

Jeanne volunteered at PAAM, the Tennessee Williams Festival, and the Provincetown Book Festival. She joined St. Mary of the Harbor, where she found a beloved community. She quickly learned to join the locals down at Herring Cove, where she loved watching the sun set over the sea.

Jeannie surrounded herself with beauty everywhere she lived. She adored fresh flowers and curated the art on the walls of her home like the gallerist she was. And she walked daily, always taking time to curate her appearance.

She was truly happy on the Outer Cape and longed for it after cold winters drove her to Florida.

On a sunny day last October, after a sunrise vigil at Captain Jack’s with a small circle of family and friends and many words both reverent and irreverent, Jeanne’s ashes were sailed out to the accompaniment of a New Orleans jazz funeral saxophone and scattered where she wanted to be, off the tip of Long Point, where the great spiral of Cape Cod seems to both begin and end. Seals accompanied the group on their return. Then, at sunset, lit paper lanterns were sent skyward from Herring Cove.

She is survived by her daughters, Kimberly Duir of Berkeley and Provincetown, Carey Morning of Edinburgh, Scotland, and Laurel Davis of Charlottesville, Va.; her son, Bradford Schmidt of Jupiter, Fla.; her stepson, Peter Schmidt of Alexandria, Va.; and her grandchildren, Carl and Eric Schmidt, Sophia Davis, Robert Barnes, Irina Prussin, Anya Prussin, Nina Rose Schmidt, Emma Schmidt, Desmond Schmidt, Jack Morning-Newton, and Amos Morning-Newton.

Jeanne was predeceased by her sisters, Marilyn Halligan and Shirley Higgins, and her brother, John E. Boland.

• Members

Is it just me, or is the "Mansion of the Damned" main foyer soundstage the Collinwood foyer from Dark Shadows (also on ABC)? If it's not it's close.

This show is honestly the perfect melding of conventional soap storytelling with genre elements that DS never mastered, and it could've, had it tried to adapt to the times and had Dan Curtis been more of a soap EP vs. a classic Hollywood impresario.

• Members

The Mansion of the Damned set seems to be a nice blend of the Collingswood foyer and drawing room from Dark Shadows, though the staircase is a bit different. Edge seemed to really invest in new sets in 1979, including the Madison's house. I was always disappointed the Madison house wasn't reused after the family was written out.

• Members

I do know, Robb, that, at that time in 1979, the actual Dark Shadows set (Collinwood drawing room) was being used on Ryan's Hope.   Both shows had been taped in the same studio (although Dark Shadows had briefly used another studio in 1966).  The drawing room was reconstructed to be Ryan's Bar.    I also occasionally recognized the doors between the drawing room and the foyer used (specifically in Nick Szabo's funeral home).  

I also know that, at one point, there was a storyline on Ryan's Hope in which Michael Pavel was killed by Rae Woodward (played by Louise Shaffer who had previously played Serena/Josie on The Edge of Night).  Rae was to be tried for his murder, and Ryan's Hope had arranged to borrow or to rent a courtroom set from The Edge of Night.   The trial storyline, however, was dropped.

After the cancellation of Ryan's Hope, the drawing room set that I mentioned was used by One Life to Live.

I am almost sure that the grand piano that was used in the drawing room in Collinwood (Dark Shadows) was later the same piano that was in Palmer Courtland's house on All My Children.   

I did not see too much of the movie storyline on The Edge of Night because our local ABC affiliate dropped the show for about a year in April of 1979.   I will try to see the set that you mentioned on YouTube.

• Members

Really? That's wild. But we don't know about the foyer? Also, do you happen to know which OLTL set got the Collinwood drawing room? I often wonder if one of the '70s-'80s sets i've seen is part of the Old House from DS.

• Members

After Ryan's Hope was cancelled, the drawing room set was Max's club on One Life to Live.   I cannot remember the name of his club, but it something to do with Serinity Springs.   He had opened it after the death of Luna.

I thank that I have seen other Dark Shadows sets over the years used on One Life to Live.  I can't remember which ones right now.

Now you have made me wonder about the Old House set.