General Hospital: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Where does Elizabeth live? It does not look like her cottage anymore. It looks like a redressing of the old Webber house Laura grew up in, later owned by Mac and Scorpio. 

Great casting for Elizabeth’s kids. The three boys look like they could all be related. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Webmaster

I admire fans who love their couple. My question, however, is whether or not their video billboard in Times Square got clearance from ABC. At the end of the day, it is an advertisement promoting a couple that wasn't created by ABC/Disney marketing. If ABC didn't sanction it, someone could get sued for copyright infringement. 

• Members

@Errol if they used photos and other things not from the show could ABC complain? The name Sprina is not owned by GH, and how many seconds of still shots would be allowed without it being seen as a true infringement? Also wouldn’t the owner of the billboard in Times Square make sure those issues were addressed?

• Webmaster

They didn't use still shots. It's an edited video from the show, which ABC owns. Still shots are also owned by the network since they paid for creating the content.

Related, some of these matters will be addressed on SON itself when it comes to photo use. Generally speaking, if you don't own the content and aren't paying a license, the only way to use it without issue is to get permission from the license holder.

That said, I'm only speaking from a legal perspective on the use of the video. The name Sprina isn't in question or at issue from my perspective. 

As for the billboard owner, I have never paid for a billboard before, so I don't know what the rules and regs are, but I doubt they are going to investigate the ownership of imagery used in an ad. 

• Webmaster

To add, the video billboard is a minute long. Too much content used to be granted permission by ABC or given fair use privileges (which generally applies to social media, not advertising). Not sure how much was spent, how the money was generated, whether it included payment to ABC for use, or whatever else is related to it, but that's a longer video than expected.

Maybe 10 seconds could suffice.

All in all, I'm just thinking out loud since I have to concern myself with this every day with every article posted and even every post made by posters on the SON Community that includes video and photos, which, again, is something that will soon be addressed here.

The only acceptable content I think their fans could use is photos/videos of themselves interacting with the actors at fan events or photos taken by fans of the actors. Otherwise, the entire ad is just edited clips from General Hospital.

• Members

Don't ask me. It's what they made clear in-show several years ago though. Michael first renovated 'the Brownstone' via ELQ around 2014-2015.

I'll be surprised if ABC or GH make a real fuss over that video beyond a gentle wrist-slap. They've seen crazier shít from fans.

• Members

I miss the front facade of the brownstone.  I know they repurposed those steps in front as another building where Sonny or Jason was once shot at.

The original Brownstone also had either a courtyard or a side yard that the individual apartments had access to.  They used it quite a bit in the early 90’s.

• Members

The GH wiki is remarkably detailed on the status of these classic sets and how they've been repurposed. I'm not sure what's become of the original Brownstone sets, but I bet they know. Last I recall seeing it is around 2002-2003, when Heather first returned. The exterior/front facade was shown with Bobbie, Lesley, Heather and little Lulu on the front steps.

I think the exterior of Elizabeth's Brownstone now is meant to represent the basement level/side yard of the original Brownstone.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Brownstone be redone to resemble the original a bit more inside and out, but I'm just happy it exists still. I am not happy though that the Webber/Scorpio house seems gone in the show. But I also never got over Luke and Laura's '90s home burning down. That was a sin to me.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I loved the Webber/Scorpio house, and how people entered from behind the living room. Is was the perfect “barge in” set, whereas other sets had their entry door stage left/right.  Or, you could easily have someone hiding behind the couch, eavesdropping on whoever was having a convo in the foyer. 

I guess Mac and Felicia are homeless now. 

• Members

I think we've seen their current home, but I can't recall. (Again, I bet the GH wiki knows.) Mac and Felicia haven't lived there in a long time,. According to the WIki, the Webber/Scorpio house also burned down in 2010 when Maxie knocked over a candle. Sounds like Maxie to me.

I do think the house is a landmark - it was so prevalent not just in the '90s and 2000s but in the classic eps of the original Monty, Rick/Lesley, L&L era - and should be rebuilt just like the old Spencer house. OTOH I'm not willing to give up a version of the Brownstone. But hey, they can always trash one of Sonny or Nina's penthouses and redo another set for the re-remodeled Brownstone.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Laura’s house (formerly Ward) used to be one of the best sets on any show.  It looked and felt like a real older house, and I loved the porch.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the facelift but I still liked the set.  Lucky burning it down is about the most Guza of any Guza story turns.

The current sets are very nice, and I like we have such a broad range of locations.  What is missing for me is the same feeling on the rest of the show- different socio-economic lives.

Where does Cody live?  Because we need to see people living above Kelly’s, and similar locations.  Not as nice as everything is presented now.  Not everyone is a hotel owner.  At least we got to see Cameron working.

I can’t get over how tiny Sonny’s set is now that he is back at the Penthouse.  Sam’s looks bigger! I remember him complaining when the shrunk the original Penthouse set down.  Now it’s really tiny!

The main thing driving me crazy with these new sets is the changing of where the doors are located.  The Q mansion, Sonny’s Penthouse, etc.

• Members

I think Cody lives at the stables.  I believe there is a small apartment in there.  Or at least that's what I remember hearing when he took the job.  I miss people living at Kelly's too.  It was an easy way for characters to run into one another.  Characters like Sasha, Chase, and Willow should have lived there when they first came to town.

Sonny's penthouse set is bad.  Not as an actual set, but in the fact it's supposed to be the same penthouse.  It absolutely looks smaller than Sam's and they don't even look like they would be in the same building.  They don't have any similar aesthetics like they did before.  Is it still supposed to be across the hall from Sam/Jason's?   It's also really dark.  I know Sonny's a dark guy and all, but that decor is depressing.