General Hospital: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

There were a number of scenes in this period (although I was not watching very often, as I haven't on a regular basis since about 2000) where Carly was judged in the writing in a way she hadn't been in many years. I remember one where she was going to a wedding and overheard various people talking about what trash she was, and you could see the vulnerability and self-loathing in her that is often lacking post Sarah Brown.

That's a strong set of scenes, but it's hard to watch now knowing how much Ingo ruined anything of the Jax/Alexis relationship, especially in recent years.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel like Carly/Sonny were both fairly judged for their actions in that time period.  I do feel like during the first part of Brenda's return that vulnerability was there in Carly too.  Even if it was in a loud mouth center of attention way it showed insecurity in Carly that we rarely see.  There was a scene where Robin and Brenda were talking trash about her where she was listening (at Jason's house uninvited, naturally) and LW's Carly got teary eyed listening to them and left and I thought that was so different for her.

Ingo aside, I don't think Carly is wrong about Jax/Alexis.  I used to think Alexis did love Jax in that way, but it just never happened. And I was so glad people like Robin and Alexis were standing up for Jax because it was so long since anyone had told Sonny or Carly that they were wrong almost always about him.

• Members

That must have been the scene. Thanks. 

I do think Alexis loved Jax, and just accepted that nothing was ever going to happen. For a long time I wished it had, especially because I hated the Ned/Alexis pairing, but worse was to come...

• Members

It probably was that scene because I think it was Sonny/Brenda wedding related and Robin/Brenda were pretty mean.  But then Carly actually interrupted the wedding, tried to humiliate the bride and son of the groom, and then plopped her ass down and ate cake and danced with Edward at the reception so the self loathing was short lived.

Please register in order to view this content

I liked Ned/Alexis actually.  It got silly quickly, but I thought they were a good match.  I was definitely game for Jax/Alexis during their marriage, but I think Ingo was still considered the hot hunk of a certain age and NLG probably wasn't in the right demographic for a pairing for him at the time.  

• Members

3-29

That was such a great episode. And I definitely was right there with Liz tearing up as she listened to Monica (welcome back, Leslie Chamberlain though now I'm wondering if she is okay irl) read Epiphany's letter...and it leading to Liz becoming Head Nurse. Like Grams, like granddaughter. It really cremated Elizabeth's legacy status for me and as a Liz fan that touched my heart. 

I think someone mentioned it and I saw it in passing, but I too felt the only false note was no one mentioned her son Stan. Oh, and more of the NIGHT SHIFT crew!!!

But I felt her current life was touched on by Hat Dad's grief and all her nurses duties were per Liz...perfect for the focus...and Portia, Felix, and the guest star. 

But it was the past touches for me. Speaking of the NIGHT SHIFT crew...yeah, I guess Robert was the only link. And then Emma (wooow she's grown) to represent Robin/Patrick...and awwwwww at her reunion with Anna. Milo!!!!!!! And I was not watching when those Sonny/Epiphany and I would love to know the backstory...back when Sonny looked FOINE

Please register in order to view this content

. Then Felix and her issues with Dr. O which I remember well!!! lol. 

And the flashbacks. Lord, did I love the flashbacks and how many people Epiphany touched. No one gave a speech at that remembrance that did not ring true. The memories I had. 

It was just so well done.

I agree. I felt like during that time the writing let people call them out in a way that they had not done in a loooooooong time. Which is why that Alexis/Carly scene stood out.