General Hospital: March 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agreed.  I think it's a combo for me, but the artwork is worse than the colors.  The previous version of the penthouse felt brighter with lighter decor.  It could be just because it was spread out more and had a bunch of windows though.  I am not sure why the show felt the need to say it was the old penthouse.  It could have just been a new penthouse he rented/bought.

Can't you just say congrats or nothing at all?  Oh Ron......

• Members

I would say Ron should be embarrassed but he clearly had no qualms about embarrassing himself considering the current state of Days.

Sonny's current penthouse is meant to be his former penthouse? The door isn't even on the right side. It looks like a waiting room at a doctor's office.

• Members

Allegedly, a number of the cast campaigned for a change to be made as the show really went to the dogs throughout 2014-2015.

At the time Ron and Frank were very friendly with Daytime Confidential and Jamey Giddens who basically became their unofficial mouthpiece online. This changed when DC went ride or die for just Ron in 2015, with Jamey and co. subtweeting about half the cast daily and then Jamey going on their podcast giving the most unhinged, embarrassing rant I've ever heard rallying to Ron's defense, quoting at length from an old LA Times(?) story about Gloria Monty's second GH run and apparently equating unappreciated, betrayed Ron with poor betrayed Monty who also had actors campaigning for her removal by the end. The fact that Monty's second run was a legendary disaster seemed lost on Jamey in this analogy. DC may have calmed down since those years, but I don't forget.

I think Maurice, Stafford, maybe NLG and presumably Geary were among the actors in question, probably more. And since FV is ice cold when it comes to business, when it came to Ron or him I presume he shivved Ron and let him walk the plank.

I can live with the Bed Bath and Beyond makeover of most of the Q mansion but yeah, the complete change in spatial dimensions on the Q foyer and the Brownstone dig at me. Sonny's 'penthouse' is strange too. Viewers know some of these old sets very well. Say what you will about the shrinking down of the AMC/OLTL 2.0 sets for budget, but all the doors were where they were supposed to be at Llanfair, La Boulaie, the Chandler mansion, Bo and Nora's, etc.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes.  When he first separated from Carly he said he was moving back into his old penthouse as in the one from the 90's and 2000's.  I think it actually contradicts the fact Sonny said he sold it years ago, but it's not even attempting to be the same layout or concept.  And it totally does look like a doctor's office waiting room-complete with that weird art lol. Like @Vee said, fans know these sets, make them look like they could be similar or have a door in the right place.  It's not like we didn't see Sonny's penthouse for nearly every episode for 10 years or anything.

• Members

This was a turning point for me and my appreciate for the FV/RC team at GH. Let’s make it clear, they did save the show. I think ABC was fine letting the show guzzler at 50 and replace it with another talk/lifestyle show.

FV/Ron brought home the vets that made Port Charles feel like home again: Finola, Kristina, Jacklyn, Lynn, Genie (wow, when you look at this list you really realise how marginalised women over 40 at GH were). The early days of the Brad/Lucas romance was groundbreaking, two gay front burner recurring characters allowed to kiss more than once a year?

I think ego ultimately took over to RC. The stories became very surface even with all the right players (I’m looking at you Levi Dunklenan and the return of Stephen Clay). He started playing favourites and picking fights with the same vets he brought back. 

The Sean Kanan dismissal had shades of the Cady McClain/ Meghan McTavish moment at AMC. Cady openly chided Meghan for marginalised Julia Barr and was unceremoniously written out despite being in an unresolved front burner storyline, which has been building up for 5 years. Sean was in the same boat. Michael reclaiming his Q identity had been in the works for decades. The push and pull between the q’s and Corinthos could have driven the stories for another decade. Kanan’s untimely and permanent dismissal was a short sighted ego play on RC’s part. 

What is FV and RC’s relationship today? They seemed unbreakable at one point. Is this jab directly to FV?