DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That is true though.

The preemptions and interruptions have been out of control, especially in these last few years. Plus, a lot of them were just for pointless crap anyway that could have waited.

Reading through Jason47's preemptions, I was surprised by how many times Days wasn't preempted for news stories in like the 60s and 70s. You would think that in the decades where there were only 3 channels, there would have been more preemptions than there are now, when there are countless channels, streaming sites, etc. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

You know what? I was watching DAYS on Peacock yesterday and I was skimming through what they had. Of course, nothing appealed to me, but I was trying to be open-minded for the most part, lol! I guess what I didn't understand was that you had to pay premium in order to watch a football game, and yet, I could easily watch the football game live on NBC 5. Oh, you can watch the football game anytime you want, right? I keep forgetting I have a DVR that I don't use. Sheesh. The things I keep forgetting.

• Members

Now here's a topic upon which we can agree.  I signed up for Peacock earlier in the week and have yet to open the app again, because I forget it is an option.  And, I tend to either browse the web or watch YouTube, because i want a more passive experience when I am watching TV

• Members

Anyone who has Amazon prime for shipping, but don’t use it for programming counts as a streaming subscriber…and one person may have Appletv on their devices only but not on their tv so the family can’t watch. In multigenerational households who knows if the soap fan controls these subscriptions. 

• Members

Jason47's full list of all DAYS preemptions since 1965:
https://www.jason47.com/days/preemptions.html

It used to be that NBC would consider an entire episode preempted due to news ... if a certain percentage of the episode didn't air in the main east coast timeslot (which usually starts at 1pm for most of the east coast, even though NYC and a few other cites start at noon) and/or Central Timezone slot. (or something like that).  Basically if a certain percentage of an individual episode didn't air in most of the major markets ... it would be ruled as officially preempted.

If they called the episode as officially preempted, then it would air in full on the next weekday airdate and all subsequent episodes would be pushed to their next airdates.

But DAYS hasn't done that since April 2013.

Since May 2013, NBC has officially preempted DAYS *only* for the following:  planned sports coverage (including dog shows), and presidential inaugurations.  And that is all. Since May 2013, if an episode was partially or fully interrupted, you'd have to watch online or ask a friend what you missed.

---

In contrast, Y&R still does that rule -- if more than half of an episode doesn't air in the major USA markets, then they consider the entire episode officially preempted and it airs in full the next day.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

SID e-mail indicated they would pre-empt nationally because of the death of Queen Elizabeth II & that the episode would be shown in its entirety the next viewing day.

Have you seen the 10 minute montage a fan & a tweeter did? It's what NBC should have done.

Edited by Tonksadora
Have you seen THIS?

• Members

I tried watching the final episode for history's sake. Caught the pre-empted parts online. Excuse me but that was trash. Pathetic as a regular episode; disgraceful as the final episode. 57 years and those are the characters they end it on?  Wow. They couldn't even do something as small as insert a picture of Tom and Alice at the end that said something like "thank you"? Again, truly disgraceful.

• Members

Did you ever use it? Was there some time when you couldn't watch something live & you did use it & now that's just not the case any more? Do you ever watch something a second time? What movie or show have you watched the most times? Pardon the brief interrogation. I'm just interested. Why do you have it?

I think I still have a DVR. I'm pretty sure I know what closet it is in, covered up with other stuff! I have no idea if it still works, so clearly I do not use one & haven't for some time. But, there was a time when I used one daily.

• Members

I used it for Days of our Lives, CBS This Morning, The View, and Stephen Colbert. The reception for my local CBS affiliate can be a little wonky and I have a really cute Mohu Arc indoor digital antennas that goes well with my interior decorating. Long story short, I did some remodeling and I put the tuner away. At that time, I had Sling TV too, but I only used that to watch Morning Joe (that was and is my morning ritual as I love Mika and Willie). During Covid-19, while we were all held captive into captivity inside our homes, I've found easier (and free) ways to watch cable news as well as other programs on different streaming apps. After this discovery, I had forgotten all about the tuner as it was stored near my shoe closets. Have I watched recorded shows twice? I have with Stephen Colbert and The View. I also have with the Grammys and Golden Globes, but for the most part, I have my own music, movie, and television library. As far as the tuner, one thing I never knew is that I can watch recorded shows on-the-go. That's a nice little perk while commuting downtown or watch in the office I suppose. Now that I have my DVR hooked up, it's all about the digital antenna at this point. But, it needs to look cute and positioned perfectly.

Oh, God. Listen to me. I sound like some big fat slug who watches television 24/7 with a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. With grease stains all over my upholstery.

To get off the subject and back to DAYS, I wasn't that surprised that they didn't do something small or big for Friday's (9/9) episode. Perhaps they thought another marriage proposal (for a couple who barely know each other) and an intimate kiss between a mother and a kid (who's prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed) was clearly enough to get long-time viewers subscribed to Peacock.

Edited by Noel