DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Don't you think he's "in like Flynn" for no other reason than Ken likes him? Ken doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders. He claimed a first for DOOL going from half hr to hour, which is AW's first, Jan 1975 with DOOL 2nd. And, he doesn't know Canada's same day now. He used to know everything! Something's changed.

• Members

I mean, no matter how you twist it they'll need to adjust for streaming somehow - soaps on broadcast are constructed the way they are because network heads knew that a lot of people didn't tune in daily, hence why you have certain DAYS of the week where more important things happen and some where there's obvious filler. On streaming that filler to fill airtime is pretty unnecessary if not something that will turn audiences off more than anything. The advantage they have now is that they'll have raw data to analyse - I can only hope they make the most of it; but it's also why it's a shame that they couldn't have given them a year to prepare for this move.

• Members

Sorry but that's what American soaps need: the envelope to be PUSHED! And I never said anything about One Life 2.0, because I actually hated it as much as the ABC 1.0! Only upside was Ron Carlivati wasn't writing it, so there was some improvement.

Edited by Liberty City

• Members

If we're keeping it real here, NBC has not been successful in daytime for the better part of the last 45 years. I'm not surprised at all that they are the first network to have all their soaps come to an end. It's quite telling that their longest-lasting soap lineup in the last 45 years has been Days nearly 15 year period as NBC's sole soap.

• Members

I don't see any reason to relitigate the PP soaps in this thread, and I'm a dude who could talk about them til the cows come home lol. I already covered this in either this thread or the earlier one wherever Errol and I discussed it a few days ago and it's pretty OT, but I'll just say it again: Yes, Erika Slezak is 100% right that PP didn't know how to produce the show consistently because its owners were pure grifters, but I don't fully agree with her about not liking pushing the envelope or the more racy content, or the change in tone. I thought it was necessary to modernize some of that and a lot of it was done well, it's just that some of the stories weren't fully baked and production wasn't consistent, so style became the order of the day. Erika is entitled to her opinion; she also didn't care for Linda Gottlieb personally and professionally and loved the JFP era, and I still worship the ground Erika walks on despite vehemently disagreeing on that. I do certainly agree some of the stories at OLTL 2.0 needed work, but growing pains aside I think it was a pretty strong start for those short-lived shows overall. And that's the last I'm sayin' about it in here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes i think both soaps were finally gelling with the new writers just hired but Jeff & Frank had no idea how to produce the shows and Ive heard they could rival Frons on micro management

Eric Nelsen told the Bay about AJ coming out as gay on AMC & when PP stopped the soaps, The Bay did that Story with his character Daniel

• Members

I love Greg Vaughan.  Swoon.  I could watch him read the dictionary.  So I don't mind this promo, LOL.  Although I found myself just looking into his eyes and ignoring the content of his words.

Cool fact:  Greg Vaughan is in TWO promos released a few days apart:

This promo for DAYS being exclusively on Peacock starting Sept 12.

The other promo is for Queen Sugar Season 7 starting Sept 6 - I put that promo on the Queen Sugar thread. >link<

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Thank you for that info! I just did some research and Peacock's spend for content in 2022 is $3 billion according to MoneyGeek. When you compare the budget for Days to the average streaming/broadcast series on the lower end, even if it's budget was $37 million per year, that would be decent. Broadcast/Streaming shows cost around $2-$3 million per episode so they're spending the same or more for an 8-10 episode season of a show than they would be on an entire season of 250 episodes of Days. With cuts, I wouldn't be surprised if Days' budget is under $30 million per year and in that case it's basically a steal for them if people watch it.

Spending $30 million on a show that can drive year round subscriptions is better than spending $30 million for 8 episodes which will get some attention, but die down once it's run ends.

• Members

When I was watching today there was a chyron after each commercial announcing the move to Peacock, it took up the bottom third of the screen and kind of distracted from the dramatic scene between Jennifer and Maggie

Edited by j swift