DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From an email newsletter by The Vulture's Joe Adalian:

As for how Days is doing so far on Peacock, that’s a much trickier proposition. One not-so-great sign: Parrot Analytics says audience demand for Days actually declined during the soap’s first full week as a streaming exclusive. Days went from having 11.6 times the demand of an average show in the U.S. to a 10.1 demand score, a drop of 13 percent. That’s not what you’d expect for a series making such a big move and getting more publicity than it has since the last time somebody was possessed by the Devil. But given how little time there was to promote the switch — and the relatively small footprint of the Days audience when it was on NBC — it’s not that surprising.

Unless the internal data for Days ends up looking awful, I’d say odds are good Peacock will be patient. For one thing, the show is very inexpensive on a cost-per-episode compared to so much other streaming content. What’s more, Peacock doesn’t have a ton of megahits, so it doesn’t take a lot for a show to have a positive impact. Even if the Days audience ends up being relatively small, if it consists of a decent number of new subscribers and shows up consistently, then it could have similar value — and cost efficiency — than more high-profile titles. Plus, Peacock really doesn’t want to make enemies out of 2 million loyal soap-opera fans.

• Members

Interesting! I think a lot of the issue is that there's no rush to catch up on today's episode if it doesn't air on tv since you can watch at your own pace - time will tell if people will binge watch the episodes they missed.

• Webmaster

I wouldn't put any weight into this data, personally. 

Since episodes are disappearing from the platform every day from last season (season 57), I've started recording episodes every night off of Peacock this week and finding myself actually paying attention and enjoying the show in a non-daytime/work time setting. I'm actually interested in some of the characters.

What needs to change, IMO, is on-air look, tightening the writing and less gimmicks (ie. no more silly nonsense or tongue in cheek BS).

• Members

I read all available scripts, books, synopsis and watched all available episodes from the 60’s and 79’s and I can see that. I just wish all of it was available like the 1966 episodes of June/July of Guiding Light I got hooked . I love the classic soaps so much. I was naive to think that they would give us 14400 episodes

Please register in order to view this content

No surprise the first week didn’t catched the audience and of course it wasn’t a big one. I still think that NBC just wants to burn off the current contract until 2023 and then it’s goodbye for Days

• Members

Many people hoped that that would be part of the deal. I still hope that it will remain a possibility, even if it was partial where they would curate different storylines.

If this is what you see in the future, then, can you tell me why they wouldn't just cancel the show now? They have LOADS of experience in canceling soaps. They did it many times. If that is their outcome why in the world would they even fool with this?

• Members

It's important to keep in mind it used to be on the free tier and moved to the paid tier. I actually think it's impressive it kept that much of its audience. It's unfair to compare the free episodes to the paid. I saw a lot of comments on articles with people saying they won't pay and others replying "no I watch it on Peacock for free." They might pick up viewers once people realize they have to pay.

I'm surprised it's 10x as in demand as an average show. I wonder if that means on Peacock or all of streaming.

I have to laugh at the idea that Peacock doesn't want to make enemies of soap fans. Yeah right.

• Members

I don't like the move to Peacock. It's better than getting cancelled of course and VOD/streaming services really do seem like a great platform for soaps, but it's a major downgrade. The main problem is that people who don't have Peacock won't get to see it (while you didn't even need cable to see it on NBC) and there's no guarantee that people who do have Peacock will ever check it out.

I hope Days works out. If it's a success, it could lead to the return of other soaps or new soaps, but that feels like the underdog bet.

Edited by SoapAnon