DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Members

I personally wished they would have ended the show. Back when NBC was with Hulu then the show would had a better shot on a stronger platform. But on peacock I mean talk about a weak streaming service. With the budget, the writing and some lack of effort it seems like from some of the cast. I think the air was let off the show long before the move. It’s sad to see. The life is just gone. 

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Younger viewers now scoff when I tell them that DAYS was once a mature, subtle, sophisticated and literate drama aimed at a thinking adults. They cannot wrap their heads around the fact that a formerly classy series could end up like...what it has collapsed into since the Reilly years. I find the show's shocking fall from grace hard to fathom as well, and I SAW it happen. In my most cynical moments, I snipe that DAYS is now written and produced for gum-chewing, 12-year-old high school drop-outs, who move their lips when they read, and still can't figure out the two syllable words.

There is a market for easy-on-the-mind camp programming. If folks like that sort of entertainment, great. To each his own and it makes sense to offer material that targets all sorts of audience taste and demographics. If TPTB at NBC or Corday productions wanted to present a low-brow, camp-fest aimed at teens, why not start a new series from scratch and have it be as outlandish as they want from the get-go? Why bastardize and decimate a classic, respected daytime institution?

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Has two inept characters CEO of major companies. Has a story about a company that is never seen. Has a woman who was married to a closet guy and then accepts a marriage proposal from a serial killer. Another woman falling in love with the serial killer's son who is also a serial killer and had his child. I could go on but I'd be here all night.

• Members

Yes, it would be easy to fall down the rabbit hole and spend hours pointing out the weaknesses and flaws in RC's writing. Unfortunately, DAYS (and the other soaps today) are not written or designed for critical thinkers, so nothing will ever change as long as TPTB are convinced that modern audiences will just sit back and passively accept any drivel they are given.

Right. For younger viewers, that's all they know. One of my fellow veteran soap friends once said, "People who grew up on a diet of hamburger helper don't know what they are missing by never having eaten filet mignon." Caustic, yes, and bitchy, but there's truth in the sentiment. A person can't miss what he's never experienced.

• Members

It's across all TV platforms. It's certainly not an exact science -- Parrot Analytics "quantifies interest in shows based on viewing, online buzz, press coverage, etc." - but its data is consulted by a lot of media companies and content creators.

As to the continued viability of Peacock:

The first official hint we’ll get about how Days’ performance will probably come when Peacock owner Comcast announces quarterly earnings late next month. The company will almost surely reveal how many new subscribers the service signed up over the past three months, and it’s possible execs will include a mention of what part Days played in boosting subscribers, assuming a large increase comes to pass. And odds are, Peacock will get a big bump this quarter due to a slew of high-profile content beyond Days, including the summer run of Love Island and new drama Vampire Academy, and big movies such as Jurassic World: Dominion and Minions: The Rise of Gru. 

• Members

This always happens. When a showdown occurs, there are people who would give ANYTHING for a new venue to be able to continue with their show & there are people who say they would prefer it if the show had just ended before things got any worse. And those two groups of people are at direct opposite points. The people who wish the show would just end have an option. They can walk away & not watch or follow the show anymore, effectively ending it for themselves. The people who would hang on no matter what have no option except to stick it out & hope for the best.

• Members

Thanks. I look forward to chatting up days content with everyone. 

I started watching days in 2000 so I have been through the JER years and among other writers. I have gone back and watched some earlier episodes some before I was even born and well idk something just feels different. I have watched days through some dumb storylines but this is the first time I had to take a break from watching because I felt like my brain cells were melting. The writing characters into corners and then having to redeem them like a month later. Creating new characters or old characters to keep certain actors. The same characters being written in circles. While other characters get no attention it seems like for months. Deep inside I hope days can make a turn around but it is going to take a real writing team and hopefully peacock provided some extra dough so that can happen.