DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I certainly see fans on message boards that are on board with the move. Are there more, louder voices speaking against? Yes.  Soap fans do not like change. This is not news. And, people who are with the move say their piece, offer ideas that they think might help, go ahead & make their move to Peacock Premie & then settle in to post about the show again. They're not going to stay back in threads where everyone there is being 100% negative when they do not agree & they cannot do anything to change it. And, why should they? Do you see traffic about the show?

• Members

So, you're on a break NOW? I'm mostly, only recently back from a break. Specifically I came back the day of the exorcism when Tripp took the devil into him & went out the 3rd or 4th floor window.

I began watching DOOL in the first week of August 1966. Susan Seaforth-Hayes was not yet Julie #4. The storyline was Julie, her best friend Susan Hunter, her secret boyfriend David & Susan & David got drunk & had a one night stand so of course she got pregnant & this first day Julie is helping David to decide to marry Susan & given the baby a name & get a divorce in a year. Susan is played by another divine lady, Denise Alexander, and she is b*tchy all the time to David. They get married & then he goes with Susan to her parents' house & meets Susan's mother & has dinner with them. Julie is living at Tom & Alice's. A boy baby is born, named Dickie & while David is supposed to be watching him, falls off the swing set & is killed. Bill Bell wrote it. The beginning of that is all on YT, 8 consecutive days. The list of soaps I have never watched is shorter than the list I have watched, over the years. I agree that the Writing is DOOL's main weakness. I watch GH, too, and I think both shows are way out of balance in their use of cast & the way they do their storytelling. I don't know if DOOL is considering a change in the writing. I wish they would. I'd like to see Donna Swajeski be hired as their HW & to be given a mandate to give up a lot of the OTT story-telling in favor of traditional soap. I know some people say it's the brand now & we're stuck with it. And, then, there's the 7 month lag time problem. And, the way they rotate cast on, then off, then repeat. I hope that Peacock will be a better employer than NBC was. I've been through many show cancelations & I hope this doesn't turn into that. My all-time faves are, in order, AW, GL & SB.

In spite of the fact that I don't like demonic possession storylines I admit that one of the shows they won the Writing Emmy & the WGA Award for, was a strong, well-written episode. It was the first real day of DevilDoc 2.0 where Doug was in Marlena's office being evaluated for Alzheimers & the devil came out in Doug. No idea what the second episode was. Nice to meet you, and welcome.

• Members

But then again, this does not constitute as the viewer population as a whole. Sure, you can go on message boards and see things, but it is unfair to say (and I'm not saying this to be mean at all) ... I'm just trying to see things from a different perspective. We (people who post on message boards) are a very small fragment of a subpopulation. I'm trying to grasp through my apparent straw-filled head when your stance or tone on As the World Turns, Guiding Light, All My Children, Another World, and One Life to Live have been completely different. But with Days of Our Lives, you're singing like a male canary.

I'm not inviting you to the dark side by any means (although it is delicious), but just because you see comments from this message board and from that message board, so therefore, it must be true. Message board posters do not constitute Days of Our Lives viewers as a whole. I'm not being a smart ass, but I'm trying to dig further into your thought processes.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Wow you have been watching for long time. I am back from a recent break as well. When I heard days was moving to Peacock, I was like oh I gotta see how this plays out. I stop watching December 2021 I think. I know I haven’t watch at all this year until the last two weeks and I haven’t watch the show as a whole. When I saw the fall promo, I figured why not. But I have only watched the Marlena, Kayla, and Kate SL and that has not been much. I do agree with you. Writing has been a weak point for all soaps. It’s a constant wave. I have watched Y&R, B&B and AMC.

• Members

I never let myself get in the habit of FFing so I watch the whole show. On the one hand I think the lovely ladies struck down in their primes by this respiratory distress is obscene because of covid but I am determined to stay on this ride. Marlena's got such a wicked cough. And Kay won't let down unless it's Steve holding her. Kate seems to be the most resilient for now. I wonder if we've seen the last of Evan. At any rate as much as this is a scary thing being done it is an exciting time: what if DOOL reinvented itself one more time? Where else to be?

• Members

Oh, I know full well that we are just a subset of a greater population. I don't have access to any information about the fans who are not connected by the Internet until some little tidbit comes along to be picked over till its a carcass. And I don't see anything mean or smart ass in  what you're saying. But, a business decision was reached & announced & put into place to launch & it was met by a backlash, a predictable one, if you ask me. On one side you have a lot of touchy-feely and on the other side you have cold steel business like stuff. Those two sides are gonna talk right past each other. Fans are into their loyalty over the years & business would love to still have that! Fans want to know why this is being done to them when it isn't. It's a business decision. Victim mentality isn't going anywhere. You hear a lot of what people classify as fans being their own worst enemy & that old adage, eventually soap fans will bring about the end of soaps. If I stand out, it's because I am espousing a minority view point & they always stand out! I am waning so best to stop here.

• Members

No. Not at all. It's just that Soap Opera Digest had their mail-call and these are what people are saying. These are long-time viewers who may not know about soap-opera message boards and proclaiming their likes and dislikes. Who knows? Maybe they don't think about it. However, you made the claim that watching Days of our Lives is .08 cents a day on Peacock. Okay, Donna. Fine. 

What I DO NOT like is monetary classification in this society, and yet, you expressed this as if .08 cents a day was nothing to watch DAYS. People on message boards do not speak for the population as a whole, and I'm rather disappointed that you made your argument that way. If viewers who wrote to Soap Opera Digest wanted to have a voice, then by all means, let them have a voice. They're just as important than us.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Huh? No. Not at all. what?

Going from a time when I knew a great deal about how SOD ran, I questioned where was their balanced reporting? Everything was assigned so you'd have an equivalency of negatives and positives. It was militantly enforced. There could be any number of answers to my question. That doesn't keep it from being a valid damned question. And, there's nothing icky about asking it.

Elsewhere, in totally different contexts, yes, I have used a slogan that taking advantage of the monthly bargain someone has computed that a show costs 8¢ and that that is not zero but it is as close as you are going to get. I stand by that. It's true, accurate, logical, even appealing.

Bull. Read what I actually said. Now read what you claim I said. Guess what? You're wrong.

What it is, is a bargain, which is what the promotion & the slogan are about.

Again more Bull. I am very disappointed in these, your off base arguments. I did not make my argument in whatever way you're suggesting. I simply spoke about what I was seeing in the backlash online. And, that is clear.

Believe me I have not said they should be stifled in any attempt they make to be heard.

It just happens that information does not flow purely. It is manipulated, most especially in the interest of presenting balanced reporting. And, now that I have helped you make a mountain out of a  molehill, I think we should both go soak our heads.