DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Apologies if I was unclear. The indefinite deal is the Sony deal that Corday inherited. The litigation between Corday and Sony discussed the contracts signed in 1965 regarding production and distribution of DAYS. That is the deal he inherited - it had nothing to do with him as he was a child at the time and he'd actually sought to terminate it in 2019 when Corday sued Sony claiming Sony had failed to distribute the show to the benefit of its wholly owned Y&R. That litigation did not proceed to trial.

In terms of NBC being able to move the show to Peacock, as @Broderick (hilariously) explained that was very likely a condition of renewal, full stop. It was very likely a take it or leave it deal and Sony as a distribution partner has certainly hampered Corday's ability to market and sell the show - but that's what he inherited and has had to work with from the day he took over in 1986.

I tend to agree that it seems DAYS will end at the end of its 2023 contract and may reincarnate as some kind of arc/weekly series if it's a success, but I think it's time as a daily serial will be over in 2023. 

This is why I said it has all the feelings of a 'soft cancellation'.

• Members

Please accept my apologies!! I did not realize Corday inherited all that!!! WOW! At least Ken fought. I apologize Ken for calling you a bad businessman. Thank you Ken for Days. I have Ken's book on my shelves somewhere need to read it.

Sounds like a take it or leave it deal and Ken wanted to save Days and all the jobs.

I wish DAYS would end on NBC.

You are a wealth of knowledge on DAYS!! (and probably daytime too!) Thank you!

What should happen is Disney/ABC, Corday Productions, SONY, the Bell Serial Company pioneer and construct an online soap streaming network. Put DAYS, Y&R, GH and B&B on there. Plus bring back AMC and OLTL. Make them all 30 minutes. And have available all the classic vintage shows. I think people would pay for that.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

I'm not very optimistic of this move from NBC to Peacock. Knowing the feeling of losing a soap, I would honestly wish that Days could go out with a bang on network TV than endure this prolonged death that seems inevitable on Peacock. 

I want to be optimistic, but a soap opera, one that is on a tight budget and with lackluster storytelling is not going to be draw in anyone. I think an established soap would find it very hard to create draw in a new audience on streaming. Good luck and I hope that Days could be successful in a new platform. 

• Members

I would but Soapnet did not succeed as a free cable channel (although mainly just ABC shows) and was replaced by Disney Junior.  I wish Disney plus or Hulu would put the old ABC soaps on it and NBC could put their old soaps on Peacock and old CBS soaps on Paramount Plus. Not likely though.