DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190213005731/en/Corday-Productions-Sues-Sony-to-Terminate-Distribution-Agreement-for-Days-of-our-Lives

According to this Corday solely owns DAYS.

Corday Productions’ President and sole owner Ken Corday remarked, “It’s extremely sad that a partnership of 54 years that was first forged in the early 1960s by my parents and what was then Screen Gems Television, and is now Sony, has deteriorated to this level. Our action today comes after deep diligent reflection. It is absolutely necessary to bring the current untenable situation out into the light in order to ensure the future of Days of our Lives for its incredible employees and for the hundreds of millions of loyal and dedicated fans worldwide.”

• Members

I would be fine with 30 minute episodes and maybe 4 times a week. A smaller cast that you could use more often would help with storytelling, too. When actors are only used for their small guarantees it results in stories losing momentum with constant starts and stops. I think the DiMeras take up waaaay too much time at this point. I'd be fine with them just keeping Chad, Johnny, and bring back Theo since he's a DiMera and Carver. The show desperately needs a new crop of younger characters as well. I'd cut characters I feel have been played out: Rafe, Ava, Nicole, Eric, Stefan/Jake, Roman, Shawn, Belle...and dare I say, Steve and Kayla. I'd make them recurring characters. I'd refocus on the Hortons/Carvers/Kiriakis families: Lucas, Will, Allie, bring back Jack, Jennifer, JJ, and Eli and Lani, Sonny, maybe Alex, and Xander and have Abe, Maggie, Julie, Doug as the foundation/vets of the show. I'd also keep Kate just because. 

• Members

It is moving to Peacock because the NBC renewal gave NBC the option to do so. @Broderick has a (hilariously) on point theory about the discussion that NBC likely had with Corday a few pages back. 

My understanding of the Corday Productions credit on Y&R has to do with the litigation the Cordays took against Bill Bell when he quit DAYS to start Y&R and that it does not impart any control or ownership over the show but does give profit participation. It is the same way Bell Dramatic Serial Company is a production partner at Y&R, but does not actually own the show (the inverse is true of Sony's relationship with Corday. Corday owns the show but Sony has a distribution/production contract that is indefinite). In Bill Bell's biography there was a vague explanation that Bill negotiated a production deal that gave him control and 'equal' participation in the show's profits, but not ownership of the show itself. 

• Members

Agreed.  I see a lot of people saying they won't pay, but it's also a lot of passive watchers-which I don't think is Peacock's goal to get those eyeballs.  I think it's to get loyal viewers and possibly new ones.  Depending on the catalogue of episodes it might get quite a few old viewers as well.   As it is, it doesn't seem like the episodes of Days currently expire (not in 14 days at least like GH on hulu) I will say Peacock is probably the least friendly site for users.  I find it obnoxiously slow and difficult to sift through.

Idk, I am 99% sure this is an awful move, but I will continue to watch.

I also agree that Days would get buried on Netflix and Hulu.  With Peacock's amount of content it seems it would actually be featured.

• Members

The problem is it still won't get enough users, which is what Peacock needs and the only way DAYS will survive, IMO. Putting it on the pay tier and expecting it to shore up Peacock by itself is the fundamental problem. That and lack of lead time.