DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If that's true, then how is Peacock able to show all the other things they have that have music in them? I've never understood that.

I'm able to watch every single musical performance on SNL ever, on Peacock

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Realistically, they could do what other shows have done re: music rights - straight out remove it and replace it with cheap elevator music. With that said, I doubt they'll suddenly add every episode even if there's some vague plan to do so - it's just not viable endevour to add 14,000 episodes at once.

With that said, I hope they start adding the first few weeks, select storylines, episodes etc. That is probably more realistic (aside from not doing it at all and all this is just a big fat lie, which is the most realistic thing to happen).

• Members

To the lay ear it sounds like a statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation, especially because it is not from an official production source like Sony, NBC, or Corday. 

He could mean every episode that is going to air on Peacock from 9/12 moving forward will be available, or every episode that is currently on Peacock will remain available.  But, it seems unlikely that he means 57 years of episodes will be stored on Peacock, or that they'd hire a digital archive team to edit that amount of material in order to make it suitable for streaming.  Most streaming services are not capable of the bandwidth to store that amount of data which is why Netflix and Hulu trade out their content monthly.

Occam's Razor suggest we accept the simplest theory first over more complex explanations of unknown phenomena.  So, my bet is that Mr McKinsey believes that all current episodes set to stream on Peacock will remain on the service so that people can binge them rather than only having the past 3-4 episodes available to watch at one time.

I would further predict that after an initial period of releasing episodes daily they will switch to uploading 5 at a time, because why bother with the structure of a weekly cliffhanger Friday when fans could watch any number of episodes at any time.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I used to believe this until Doug Davidson said he had already signed off for digital/streaming broadcast of Y&R and was suprised it wasn't being streamed already. I think Sony and the others already have this covered in terms of actors. 

In terms of music, people act like every episode had pop music in it. The scores (unless they were sold) probably still belong to Sony and pop music can be replaced. Sony has a big catalogue and possibly still owns rights to many songs used in Days or Y&R anyway. Most pop songs used were not vital to the show and I doubt many would even know what they were missing. Y&R might be harder in the early years, but not that big a deal. 

• Members

I have mixed feelings about how I think this will work out, but I'm glad they made the jump so we don't have to keep wondering when the axe will strike. We knew it was going to happen sooner or later, so at least they're attempting something before outright canceling the show. Now on one hand I DO think there is a chance Days can extend it's life with this move. Peacock is a new service and as the initial article said, they've struggled with subscriptions when their very few hit shows end. Having something that airs year round could be helpful to them. If they can get the budget where it makes sense for them, they can make this work. Does anybody happen to know Days' yearly budget? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to what they (and other streamers) pay for an 8 episode limited series. 

Another interesting element is the potential for past episodes. Whether it be full years, Best Of's or whatever, I think that's going to be valuable to the future of the show as well. Look how successful Dark Shadows is on streaming and The Doctors has clearly done well enough that the company is still investing in the show, improving the app and attempting to aquire other soaps. B&B is also averaging around 10,000 hits per episode on YouTube. All this goes to show that there is value in old episoes.

Now long term I do think Days is going to have to drastically improve it's writing to last on a streaming service. I'm sure they'll get a variety of ages to subscribe, but it's going to lean Under 40, so they have to modernize the storytelling a bit. I feel for them if the rest of the year is as rough as it has been. Before they get back into production they need to plan a big relaunch an refresh in terms of story.